• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Slabs storing in a Safe
2 2

30 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Anyone use a bank safety deposit box?  Do u need a Eva Dry in one of those?

I've had my books stored in the box for years with no silica gel packs, eva dry, etc. So far so good. Was told before that the bank is climate controlled. 

But if you want to be extra safe, than sure it doesn't hurt to have it.

On 12/26/2018 at 3:53 PM, comicquant said:

You could always get collectibles insurance and forego the safe.  

Yes, but you must have a security system or they won’t fully insure against theft. Just went through this... I now keep my most valuable books in a safe deposit box. The insurance company would then fully underwrite the entire collection. FYI...

On 12/26/2018 at 1:29 PM, Chillax23 said:

Thinking about picking up a safe and I read through this thread:

and was wondering what safes people on this board were using for storage of CGC slabs at home?  I am thinking about picking up a small/medium size safe to store about 10-12 slabs and was looking at some options from Sentry like this one:

https://www.sentrysafe.com/product/SFW123GSC

But cannot find too much info about the fire-proofing materials they use.

Wondering if I should forego a fireproof safe OR if using silica packets (and changing every few months) would take care of the problem - the thread linked above is a bit inconsistent.  So looking to see what people on the boards are using and how long they have been using them (without incident)?

Not as concerned about Fire as I am about theft.

That is EXACTLY the brand of safe that guy had the rusted staple in.   It is very popular and I had my books in one for about a year then pulled them out when I read that thread.  I then bought a large (2.2CF) non-fireproof safe that I bolted to the floor.  It is basically a thick metal box with a digital lock that I got on Amazon for $150..  Will hold about 25 slabs vertically, with room for some other valuables at the top (though they are in my other safe and I also have a gun safe.  I won't put comics in the gun safe due to strong chemicals in the air like bore cleaner).  Anyway, I would be screwed if there was a fire but willing to take that chance vs. documented proof of a safe that damages comics and other items.

On 12/27/2018 at 1:29 AM, Mayor Mccheese said:

Just gotta keep using those dehumidifiers then.  

Note that the problem with Fireproof safes is not humidity, but something about the chemicals that the fireproof material gives off that can cause corrosion.  Yes, low humidity is very important but was not the primary cause that led CGC to put up that post.  It was the materials in the SentrySafe.  If you have books in one of those, get them out ASAP and use another solution listed here.  Your best defense is good research.

I love Bank Safe Deposit Boxes. Keep my more $$ books there. I don't use any kinda gel packs. Books are in a low humidity city. Oddly enough I became very interested in the history of Safe Deposit Boxes as a result of interest in comics and at this point don't know if I'm buying $$ books to visit/learn about the bank boxes or vice versa to protect comics. 

I know it's odd. Today I was one of the judges at a dog show for the students of an area middle school. I have no qualifications for judging a dog show but was asked by my vet to help out. Sometimes you just meander in life as in I'm not sure what came first my interest in comics or my interest in Bank Safe Deposit Boxes. 

Edited by NoMan

I have a Barska Large Biometric safe. This safe features all-steel construction with tamper-resistant inner edges. Although not fireproof, it does have pry-proof deadbolts for added safety. This safe comes carpet lined with a removable shelf. Much like the earlier safes, this is pre-drilled for easy installation. It's not even too expensive. Read more about safes for home in this article.

dont pay too cloose attention to fireproofing on safes unless you are dropping several thousand dollars on a bank grade vault. house fires burn at about 2000 degrees F or more much higher than typical consumer (Fireproof) safes. keep reciepts from your grading service and purchases and store them with family or keep them in the cloud in case of fire to file them with your insurance claim. get a decent sized gun safe (26 gun or more) to prevent theft, and invest in reusable silica bags (500 gram or more for the moisture). i store my graded silver, gold, platinum, and comics in mine and have never had a problem with moisture and i live in Alabama. remember, safes do not survive fires.

Edited by Brian E Lawson

I have a 400lb fireproof safe (free delivery with AmazonPrime) and an Eva-Dry. I have scans of the high value books and receipts. But I do worry about them turning into a pile of melted plastic in a fire.

Since I live in a northern state where the humidity is low, I'm planning to move the highest value books to a safe-deposit box.