• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the 1st appearance of superior spiderman?

36 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Nice book. 

Did you read it?

He doesn't become "Superior" until Peter dies, which is his inspiration (a la the death of Uncle Ben) to be an "All New SUPERIOR Hero", explicitly INTRODUCED in ASM 700.

-J.

AmazingSpider-Man700Ditko-1.jpg

I did read it.  But then what would this be considered as he is acting as spiderman in the book and its doc ock in control

15 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

I did read it.  But then what would this be considered as he is acting as spiderman in the book and its doc ock in control

In 698 he is impersonating "Amazing" (as the current label note basically says).

In 700, as the cover of the Ditko explicitly announces, he becomes "Superior", (new identity, new costume glimpsed).

In all likelihood, if CGC ever did get around to acknowledging this as a thing on 700 it would probably be "Doc Ock Becomes Superior Spider-man", rather than a "first appearance" note. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 12/27/2018 at 4:02 PM, Jaydogrules said:

In ASM 700, the character names himself, appears in costume and is announced on the cover (of the Ditko variant).  The only people who can't find "consensus" are those who haven't actually read the storyline, or have the secondary books to sell.

-J.

You move the goalposts in regards to first appearances based on which issue has a hard to find variant whose value you need to protect. (thumbsu

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

You move the goalposts in regards to first appearances based on which issue has a hard to find variant whose value you need to protect. (thumbsu

In your opinion what would you consider the 1st appearance.  Im trying to get everyones opinion on the matter 

3 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

Didnt 698 come out before both?

Is there a particular reason you are trying to make that book something it isn't?  Ock isn't "Superior" in that, okay?  And every time you want to believe that he might be, just look at the Ditko cover again.  It quite plainly tells you in which book the character was first coined.  (thumbsu

-J.

10 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Is there a particular reason you are trying to make that book something it isn't?  Ock isn't "Superior" in that, okay?  And every time you want to believe that he might be, just look at the Ditko cover again.  It quite plainly tells you in which book the character was first coined.  (thumbsu

-J.

Well to be honest i have more copies of 700 than 698, but to me regardless what he calls himself, if hes in peters body being spiderman, how would that not be andirst appearance of ock as spiderman.  Changing ones name or outfit wouldnt make him a different character if its the same person/body under the mask.

3 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Well to be honest i have more copies of 700 than 698, but to me regardless what he calls himself, if hes in peters body being spiderman, how would that not be andirst appearance of ock as spiderman.  Changing ones name or outfit wouldnt make him a different character if its the same person/body under the mask.

Easy. Because, as I said, it was 700 when Peter flooded all his memories into Ock, and then died. It was specifically the combo of Peter's life memories with ock's singular intellect and mechanical prowess that created "The Superior Spider-man". 

*see Ditko variant 

-J.