• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Standards for Grading Giant Sized & Annuals

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new to the board but have been collecting since I was a kid.  I tried doing a search on this but didn't see anything in general to answer my question.

What are your guy's experience when submitting giant sized and annual issues?
Do you feel the CGC is a little more lenient as the books are put together differently than normal comics?

For reference I have an Giant Sized X Men 1 and the way the book is made, what's acceptable to get a high grade in terms of the spine?  
Also I just acquired a Daredevile Special #3.  The staples of the book are pushing in to the cover so would that take points off?  Should I bother at an attempt to press them out?

Thanks in advance for your help!

20180905_222702.jpg

2 hours ago, project051 said:

For reference I have an Giant Sized X Men 1 and the way the book is made, what's acceptable to get a high grade in terms of the spine?  
Also I just acquired a Daredevile Special #3.  The staples of the book are pushing in to the cover so would that take points off?  Should I bother at an attempt to press them out?

I'm not sure I understand your question on pressing for this situation. When you say 'press them out' it seems you are refering to the staples, you want to press the staples away from the cover. If so, that's crazy. I'm not a fan of pressing the spine on these. The staples hold the pages together but they are not attached to the cover, which is glued. Applying heat and pressure to the glue can turn ugly. Are there real pressable defects on the spine ? I think a book of this stature is worth submitting. 

2 hours ago, project051 said:

Bomber-Bob, you're absolutely right it kind of didn't make sense.  I was wondering if they take in to account printing/manufacturing effects like those staples or not.  

You usually see an indentation on the cover from the staples but sometimes the staples start to pop through. It usually starts with a pinhole size break and it may get worse. So, I would say it depends on the degree/severity of this flaw. I thinkCGC is lenient on this flaw but if it starts to break paper they will probably downgrade.  

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You usually see an indentation on the cover from the staples but sometimes the staples start to pop through. It usually starts with a pinhole size break and it may get worse. So, I would say it depends on the degree/severity of this flaw. I thinkCGC is lenient on this flaw but if it starts to break paper they will probably downgrade.  

I sent in my Invaders king size thinking it would be an easy 9.6...was I wrong. It came back CGC 9.0. Grader's note read "slit on front cover, top staple" or something close to that. 

2 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

I sent in my Invaders king size thinking it would be an easy 9.6...was I wrong. It came back CGC 9.0. Grader's note read "slit on front cover, top staple" or something close to that. 

DId you get it pressed before submitting ? If so, it may have caused the slit by the staple.