• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So is CGC handing out 7.5s to books with subscription creases now??

53 posts in this topic

I believe that the above comment is correct; 5.5 is where the very nice sub crease copies top out. 

This copy actually isn’t all that sharp all around even. There are plenty of spine ticks and a pretty blunted upper right hand corner. 

If this is legit-which I’m assuming it is but hoping it’s not-it’s EASILY one of the most egregious examples of bad grading out there that I have ever seen.  

16 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

A mistake?  Lucky?  Who knows...  In the end nobody HAS to buy it.  It would be interesting to see CGC's justification but asking would probably just be rude.

The way to figure this out is to see the notes, see if they match the obvious flaws. If anybody from CGC is reading this, I think they should offer the notes here. Again, I hope this is NOT legitimate.

13 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think I may have an answer. The submission was for two ASM 15's, one graded 4.5, the other 7.5. I suspect the labels got switched. 

Screenshot (1390).png

Screenshot (1389).png

That looks like what happened. The same seller sold a CGC 4.5 last month and it looks much closer to a 7.5.  It went for $655, so no doubt whoever bought it has already cracked it out and sent it back to CGC for a new grading.

1 minute ago, boomtown said:

That looks like what happened. The same seller sold a CGC 4.5 last month and it looks much closer to a 7.5.  It went for $655, so no doubt whoever bought it has already cracked it out and sent it back to CGC for a new grading.

Isn't it incredible that the submitter, most likely this E-Bay seller, did not notice the label errors ? Maybe we should let the E-Bay seller know.,

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Isn't it incredible that the submitter, most likely this E-Bay seller, did not notice the label errors ? Maybe we should let the E-Bay seller know.,

Obviously he doesn't know how to grade and sent it into CGC for their professional opinion. You would think CGC would be libel for something in this situation.

5 minutes ago, boomtown said:

Obviously he doesn't know how to grade and sent it into CGC for their professional opinion. You would think CGC would be libel for something in this situation.

Assuming the labels were switched, and I believe they were, you wonder how often this happens. Often, Modern books are submitted in bulk for the same issue. Maybe some of these 9.6's that submitters claim should have been 9.8's was a simple label error. If so, how many wrongly labeled 9.8's are floating around out there. 

Oh boy, that sold 4.5 looked like exactly the kind of 7.5 of this issue I am searching for. I was looking at this "7.5" a couple of hours ago and was having the same what the...:censored: reaction.

Maybe someone should indeed let the seller know. But I wouldn't like to be in that seller's shoes.