• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maximum grade for a book with a missing page?

8 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to purchase a key book. However, the book is missing a non story page. Usually in my experience the max a book could get if everything else was perfect would be a 1.5. I know some people would give a NG. Any thoughts as I when I'm negotiating the price/grade having more info is better.

43 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

What is the book?

Does the missing page affect the "main" story if there are multiple stories?

What is the overall grade of the book without the missing page?

Missing page is an Ad page.

Book looks to be about a 5.0 from the scans sent to me.

Since you did not post it I will assume you do not want to disclose what book this is.

All of this depends on how badly you want the book, how much the missing ad page may bother you if at all, what you plan to do with the book in the future and is the price right.

Me, I am a run collector on a budget and I personally collect reading copies of "key" books since you can get them at a lower price and I do not ever plan on selling them.

I purchased a TTA 27 a few years back that has a coupon cut out that affects the story but not the "Antman" story and got the book for what I considered a good price...<$100.00

If the book you are considering were sent to CGC it would get a "Green Qualified Label" and be graded as if the defect were not present but the defect would be mentioned on the label.

How would CGC grade it if it were to get a "Blue Universal Label", how much of a hit would it take???

According to CGC a book in FR 1.0 - FR/GD 1.5...

• A copy of a comic in this grade has all pages and most of the covers.

I cannot see this as being "cut in stone", but again I do not know that for sure.

The missing page would not bother me if I needed/wanted the book to fill a run as long as the price was right.

CGC will grade the book as a Green, Qualified label book. 

If it LOOKS like a 5.0 overall, it will get a 5.0. But with a Green, Qualified label that notes the missing ad page.  If you specifically ask that it be graded as blue label - or send it to Voldy who does not have a green label - the book will be considered incomplete and be graded a 0.5

40 minutes ago, Tony S said:

CGC will grade the book as a Green, Qualified label book. 

If it LOOKS like a 5.0 overall, it will get a 5.0. But with a Green, Qualified label that notes the missing ad page.  If you specifically ask that it be graded as blue label - or send it to Voldy who does not have a green label - the book will be considered incomplete and be graded a 0.5

Thank you. That's what my thoughts were. But I doubt the person I'm negotiating with will see it as a 0.5.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:42 PM, Krydel4 said:

Thank you. That's what my thoughts were. But I doubt the person I'm negotiating with will see it as a 0.5.

0.5 is a grade assigned to incomplete books - or beat all to heck but complete books. So it's not unreasonable to call it incomplete and grade it 0.5.  But it's also not unreasonable on the sellers part to VALUE  Key issues missing an ad page  at higher than the 0.5 price.  A Key issue graded 5.0 green label is going to sell for more than the 0.5 price. 

There is no "formula" for such. But just one example. An ASM 1 qualified incomplete 4.5 sold for $2750 in 2017. In 2017 0.5's of the same book were averaging $1800.  Common, "run" type books missing an ad page have little value.  But that is not the case with key books.

Good luck. Hope you can negotiate a price acceptable to all.  

Edited by Tony S

5 hours ago, Tony S said:

0.5 is a grade assigned to incomplete books - or beat all to heck but complete books. So it's not unreasonable to call it incomplete and grade it 0.5.  But it's also not unreasonable on the sellers part to VALUE  Key issues missing an ad page  at higher than the 0.5 price.  A Key issue graded 5.0 green label is going to sell for more than the 0.5 price. 

There is no "formula" for such. But just one example. An ASM 1 qualified incomplete 4.5 sold for $2750 in 2017. In 2017 0.5's of the same book were averaging $1800.  Common, "run" type books missing an ad page have little value.  But that is not the case with key books.

Good luck. Hope you can negotiate a price acceptable to all.  

Completely Agree. Just hoping that we can meet in the middle somewhere.