Maximum grade for a book with a missing page?
0

8 posts in this topic

166 posts

I have the opportunity to purchase a key book. However, the book is missing a non story page. Usually in my experience the max a book could get if everything else was perfect would be a 1.5. I know some people would give a NG. Any thoughts as I when I'm negotiating the price/grade having more info is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
970 posts

What is the book?

Does the missing page affect the "main" story if there are multiple stories?

What is the overall grade of the book without the missing page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166 posts
43 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

What is the book?

Does the missing page affect the "main" story if there are multiple stories?

What is the overall grade of the book without the missing page?

Missing page is an Ad page.

Book looks to be about a 5.0 from the scans sent to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
970 posts

Since you did not post it I will assume you do not want to disclose what book this is.

All of this depends on how badly you want the book, how much the missing ad page may bother you if at all, what you plan to do with the book in the future and is the price right.

Me, I am a run collector on a budget and I personally collect reading copies of "key" books since you can get them at a lower price and I do not ever plan on selling them.

I purchased a TTA 27 a few years back that has a coupon cut out that affects the story but not the "Antman" story and got the book for what I considered a good price...<$100.00

If the book you are considering were sent to CGC it would get a "Green Qualified Label" and be graded as if the defect were not present but the defect would be mentioned on the label.

How would CGC grade it if it were to get a "Blue Universal Label", how much of a hit would it take???

According to CGC a book in FR 1.0 - FR/GD 1.5...

  • A copy of a comic in this grade has all pages and most of the covers.

I cannot see this as being "cut in stone", but again I do not know that for sure.

The missing page would not bother me if I needed/wanted the book to fill a run as long as the price was right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,057 posts

CGC will grade the book as a Green, Qualified label book. 

If it LOOKS like a 5.0 overall, it will get a 5.0. But with a Green, Qualified label that notes the missing ad page.  If you specifically ask that it be graded as blue label - or send it to Voldy who does not have a green label - the book will be considered incomplete and be graded a 0.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166 posts
40 minutes ago, Tony S said:

CGC will grade the book as a Green, Qualified label book. 

If it LOOKS like a 5.0 overall, it will get a 5.0. But with a Green, Qualified label that notes the missing ad page.  If you specifically ask that it be graded as blue label - or send it to Voldy who does not have a green label - the book will be considered incomplete and be graded a 0.5

Thank you. That's what my thoughts were. But I doubt the person I'm negotiating with will see it as a 0.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,057 posts
On 12/29/2018 at 6:42 PM, Krydel4 said:

Thank you. That's what my thoughts were. But I doubt the person I'm negotiating with will see it as a 0.5.

0.5 is a grade assigned to incomplete books - or beat all to heck but complete books. So it's not unreasonable to call it incomplete and grade it 0.5.  But it's also not unreasonable on the sellers part to VALUE  Key issues missing an ad page  at higher than the 0.5 price.  A Key issue graded 5.0 green label is going to sell for more than the 0.5 price. 

There is no "formula" for such. But just one example. An ASM 1 qualified incomplete 4.5 sold for $2750 in 2017. In 2017 0.5's of the same book were averaging $1800.  Common, "run" type books missing an ad page have little value.  But that is not the case with key books.

Good luck. Hope you can negotiate a price acceptable to all.  

Edited by Tony S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166 posts
5 hours ago, Tony S said:

0.5 is a grade assigned to incomplete books - or beat all to heck but complete books. So it's not unreasonable to call it incomplete and grade it 0.5.  But it's also not unreasonable on the sellers part to VALUE  Key issues missing an ad page  at higher than the 0.5 price.  A Key issue graded 5.0 green label is going to sell for more than the 0.5 price. 

There is no "formula" for such. But just one example. An ASM 1 qualified incomplete 4.5 sold for $2750 in 2017. In 2017 0.5's of the same book were averaging $1800.  Common, "run" type books missing an ad page have little value.  But that is not the case with key books.

Good luck. Hope you can negotiate a price acceptable to all.  

Completely Agree. Just hoping that we can meet in the middle somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0