• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For February 2019, at 2 Auction Houses, 3 Ms. Marvel Covers...
1 1

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, tlatner said:

I love #18, but it's drawn on vellum, so that could impact the value.  I don't recall any other time that Cockrum used vellum.  Maybe it was a one time experiment?

I hadn't checked that listing, nice catch!  It would definitely affect the value for me, some others might say the great image and the historic value would override the vellum aspect.

Certainly an asterisk!  David

The Ms. Marvel #4 cover is signed John Buscema, and variously credited to John Romita, Sr., Joe Sinnott, and Ed Hannigan.  I freely acknowledge my debt to Ed Hannigan for my interest in comic art, since he introduced  me to some of his covers about 25 years ago.  He was a long time layout artist and penciller among other duties for the big two. 

None of these Ms. Marvel covers ever belonged to me (I wish!).

David

Edited by aokartman
clarify

On 12/28/2018 at 9:08 AM, Doc67 said:

The best cover by far is the #18.  Cockrum is the superior artist.  The book is a key issue and the cover is a “classic” (via Overstreet).  No one cares about the vellum anymore.  10 years ago, the vellum would have made a huge difference.  Not now.  I have seen too many pieces sell for top dollar that were vellum.  I can’t remember the last time that a piece of art sold cheaply because of vellum.  A Cockrum Ms Marvel panel page is $3-3.5k now.  I say that equals $35k on this cover.  Could go higher. 

The next best cover is the #19.  JRJR is the second best artist here.  The cover has Capt Marvel as well as Ms Marvel.  It is the next best image.  Again, a quality Ms Marvel page is $2-2.5k.  $25k.

The least desirable is the Hannigan.  Anyone who says that Hannigan is a more desirable artist than Cockrum either has a personal vestment or is trying to mislead you.  There Is no decent Ms Marvel page under $1500.  I say $15-18k on this one.

i am normally low in my estimations.  I hardly ever win any covers.  And I always bid what I think is FMV.  So, expect these prices plus maybe 20% for the auction burst.  The HA will set new records and the Comiclink cover will follow.

i am one of the biggest Ms Marvel collectors out there.  So, I feel like I have a very good handle on the market.

Allen

Has the Cockrum cover been restored? I remember seeing it years ago and it seemed to have had more yellowing. Maybe I'm wrong. Also, I think you're dead right on the rankings, Allen. 

3 hours ago, fsumavila said:

Has the Cockrum cover been restored? I remember seeing it years ago and it seemed to have had more yellowing. Maybe I'm wrong. Also, I think you're dead right on the rankings, Allen. 

The #18 should be worth more as it has been professionally conserved - our community needs to move away from the comic book perspective and towards art in this respect, a conserved piece of art has been invested in by a previous owner so now you don't have to go to the trouble of getting it conserved yourself.
(that said, a re-inked piece of art is something different - not sure if the vellum treatment here is considered restoration or conservation but an improvement either way)

I didn't own the #18 but made the mistake of not buying it when it emerged - one of those memories that still hurts a bit!

3 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

If anyone can set up a poll, I'd be interested in people picking their favorite Ms. Marvel cover (but without #1 as that is too easy a selection)

I prefer the later Ms Marvel issues with the new costume by Cockrum. Ms Marvel #20 is the cover I like best.

Ms. Marvel #18...

...it will be reprinted in color and used for the cover of the CLink Winter Featured Auction catalog...it breaks $31k but stops short of $36k...and then it reappears on your favorite original comic book art dealer's website for $65k within two months...

Ms. Marvel #19...

...it will break $25k* but stops short of $32k, with all the 'trimmings' included.

Ms. Marvel #4...

...it will break $20k* but stops short of $27k, with all the 'trimmings' included.

[*Multiple 'variables' and/or 'special' interests will be at play here]

20181230_150014.jpg

Well.  Still 3 weeks left until the HA.

Ms Marvel #19 is already at $15.6k.  I said $25-30k. I could even be low.  This is getting high quickly.  But, dang!, it is a pretty one!!!

Ms Marvel #4 is at $10.8k.  I said (a big range here...) $18-21.6k.  

I might have underestimated these pieces.  I guess it could be a situation where there is a very small supply of these first run covers, so they could be tough pieces to score.  Only 23 of these bad boys out there for us to scrap over...

Allen

On 2/3/2019 at 11:08 AM, Doc67 said:

Ms Marvel #4 is at $10.8k.  I said (a big range here...) $18-21.6k.  

Hammers at $12K, ends at $14.4K with the juice.  I thought it would do better as well. 

48 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Hammers at $12K, ends at $14.4K with the juice.  I thought it would do better as well. 

Low hammer because of some people questioning who the artists are. I think its Buscema but some say Joe Sinnott, and by Ed Hannigan and John Romita Sr. 

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

The cabal let me down :cry:

I am surprised the Spider-Man Annual hammered as low as it did.  I thought any early Romita cover was $100k regardless of whether it was an annual or not.  Usually I under estimate prices.

Don't worry, it will be on RomitaMan.com for 2x next month.  :)