• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Amazing Spider-Man Collection ?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

so I was going through the collectors society rankings...

and of course I ran into the number 1 rated ASM collection.

Basically The owern has a collection entirely of 9.8's...I think there might be like 6 or so issues from 1 to 100 that are 9.6...but its basically a 9.8 collection.

I dont see any way anyone could ever top this collection as I'm sure the owner will upgrade the few 9.6's to 9.8's ....

So my question is...has anyone ever figured out what the value of a complete 9.8 ASM collection would be...

I get that when were talking comics at that high of grade, the value is basically what someone will pay for them...

but I'm talking like a rough estimate...does anyone got like a rough estimate of what an entire ASM 9.8 collection would be worth? has any added up the overstreet guide's list of every issue at 9.8 and got a total value?

thanks.

Edited by billbrown7080

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I have a 1-700 mostly raw though.

I need the 11 issues in my sig to be 1 through current. Good thing those are the cheap ones lol. Having a blast finding those missing issues, upgrading low grades & sending my money, I mean my books to CGC. A complete 9.8 (or 9.6 where 9.8's don't exist) would be an Amazing accomplishment. :x

Just now, Not A Clone said:

I need the 11 issues in my sig to be 1 through current. Good thing those are the cheap ones lol. Having a blast finding those missing issues, upgrading low grades & sending my money, I mean my books to CGC. A complete 9.8 (or 9.6 where 9.8's don't exist) would be an Amazing accomplishment. :x

I'm close as well...

I'm missing 3,8,11,12,13,14 and I'm complete from 1 to 241...

I'm then missing about 50 filler issues from 242 to 670 ...

Not counting AF 15...I no longer count that as Missing because at this point I dont think Ill ever have it...

would LOVE to get the 6 issues I'm missing form my 1 to 15 though...It would be Great to say I'm complete ...

as for a complete collection of 9.8s and 9.6 where 9.8s dont exist...I just wish I could get a ball park value on it...

for example if the owner tomorrow had a near death experience that completely changed him and no longer had any desire to collect comics...I'm just curious to what the collection would be worth if he sold it?

would he get the most value trying to sell it as a complete collection(as the world greatest ASM collection)....Or would he get the most value trying to sell it at an action where they advertised for months and months and sold each issue individually...

I got to believe he would at least be looking at over 15 Million right? the 9.6 AF 15 would probably top 2 or 3 million + alone

15 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

I'm close as well...

I'm missing 3,8,11,12,13,14 and I'm complete from 1 to 241...

I'm then missing about 50 filler issues from 242 to 670 ...

Not counting AF 15...I no longer count that as Missing because at this point I dont think Ill ever have it...

would LOVE to get the 6 issues I'm missing form my 1 to 15 though...It would be Great to say I'm complete ...

as for a complete collection of 9.8s and 9.6 where 9.8s dont exist...I just wish I could get a ball park value on it...

for example if the owner tomorrow had a near death experience that completely changed him and no longer had any desire to collect comics...I'm just curious to what the collection would be worth if he sold it?

would he get the most value trying to sell it as a complete collection(as the world greatest ASM collection)....Or would he get the most value trying to sell it at an action where they advertised for months and months and sold each issue individually...

I got to believe he would at least be looking at over 15 Million right? the 9.6 AF 15 would probably top 2 or 3 million + alone

I'll go through and export current GPA this weekend and total that up. Shouldn't be too hard & sounds like fun. I hear ya on AF 15. I think a .5 may be the goal for that. A 9.8 AF 15 hypothetically? Yeah probably between 2-3 mill like you said. The last 9.6 sold for 1.1 mill almost 8 years ago before the latest boom, but if the 9.8 popped up I think the 9.6 price would take a little hit. A 9.8 ASM is another $1 mill book.  Would love to see a #28 9.8 pop up. $35k for the 9.6 this summer, but I'd bet on a 9.8 hitting close to 10x  that. 

People can become very discriminating when it gets to the 9.8 level..... strong 9.8's will often outperform the borderline specimens ... some times dramatically so. You would really need to see them. A bad scan can also affect the bottom line.... sometimes what you see ain't what you got. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, kav said:

Would you rather have AF 15 10.0 or ASM 1-100 9.8?

For me...It wouldnt even be close...ASM 1-100-9.8....

but I completely understand why others would serious consider the 10.0 AF 15

I wonder what would be more valuable.

If A 10.0 AF 15 surfaced and was put up for sale....it would have the attention the entire comic book world...every Major collector on earth would probably try to bid on it.

It would be The once in a lifetime chance to say You own the single greatest Silver age comic in existence and Maybe the greatest Comic book in existence PERIOD...

A got to believe A 10.0 AF 15 would at least in the same league with the Milehigh 9.2 Action #1 for the greatest comic on earth

so I completely understand the Why anyone would pick the AF15 but dear lord, I would rather have the greatest ASM collection of all time, assuming that came with a 9.6 AF 15

What's the general overlap of people who both build these runs and read them (albeit in a second form; not the 9.6-9.8 copies, but some combination of reader copies and/or various forms of republication, whether it's Masterworks, Essentials, a Marvel Tales run, whatever.)?

I have a general sense of the entire "arc of Spider-Man" from years of reading, but it would pretty dang cool to read it end to end.

43 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

sell the Spider-man books you currently have, even the number 1 and generate a large pool of funds and buy the AF 15 in the best possible grade you can.

Then start reacquiring the ASM run.

Reacquiring them can be done! I never regret selling off some of my ASMs (had 1 to 700) to fund the "Big Daddy".  I'm slowly finishing my 1-50 run again but getting better copies this time.

4 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I have a general sense of the entire "arc of Spider-Man" from years of reading, but it would pretty dang cool to read it end to end.

I did this with Daredevil when it was only something like 1-300 and then read the rest as they came out. (Up to current) It was definitely cool to stick with 1 character for such a long time like that!

Tried the same thing with the 80's/90's Silver Surfer, but it wasn't the same...

Spidey would be sweet. Im just now getting around to reading the early highlights...

My own stats - I just looked for the first time at my set in this manner. 

From AF15 to ASM100 I have one complete set graded. 

I have three sets of AF15 to ASM100 entered. 

My top set is complete with no resto and no signature series books entered into it. 

My three entries are presently ranked #34, #80, #132

However, it got me thinking that my incomplete second set could easily be beating someone with a complete set if they had a much lower graded AF15 or restoration in their books.  For example Marvel Movers is ranked at #5 but only has 49% of the collection completed.  Timely is ranked at #23 with only 2% of the collection complete.  That guy has only two books.  I am sure there is a higher grade AF 15 or number one in that obscured set. I have a completed set but do not have a single 9.8 amongst those books. 

What's my rank amongst 'completed' sets where the only criteria is that the set is 100% complete...  I am #3 with only jjbjheartman and TheUrologist1 ahead of me as of the people ahead of me on the census, only two of them have a graded copy of every book and annual from AF15 to ASM100.  Now, could the rest of those guys get a complete set?  Sure... you could slab a page of a book these days to fill in a slot. However, as I only wanted blue label non signature series copies in my set and wanted minimum grades per certain areas of the run, they too have their own criteria. 

The registry is a documentation in my eyes of what I currently have and a great way to see where I have my books at... To each their own how they chose and choose to collection.  However at this point in my life, I am upgrading a book a year.  No need to go crazy after a certain point.  For example, I have a few 9.6's and have no desire to spend the cash to get to a 9.8.  However, there are a couple of books I would like to eventually upgrade like my ASM 10, 17 and a few here and there.  

If you look at my collection, linked in my signature line you can also see what books I've upgraded over the years.  That in itself tells the story of how the collection has been built and maintained. 

Just some insight from someone that is part of the group and or numbers you guys are talking about. 

10 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

sell the Spider-man books you currently have, even the number 1 and generate a large pool of funds and buy the AF 15 in the best possible grade you can.

Then start reacquiring the ASM run.

Oh Lord no...

call me crazy, but I would much rather have my collection of amazing ASM than a Single issue of AF 15 low grade....

believe it or not...this site drives me crazy and makes me so grateful at the same time..

I cant help but see others people's books and get jealousy, but at the same time I see other people books and am so grateful that I either have the same or better.

but there are times when I see An ASM #1 9.0...Or Hulk  #1 8.5....and I think jesus...that 1 book is probably worth more than my entire collection...but then I think to myself...its a great book but I'd rather have my collection, I'd rather have 1200 + Low,Mid and High grade keys and near complete sets of the Marvel and DC..

I can completely understand why anyone might pick the 1 really High Grade Book like ASM 1 9.0....but for me personally..I'd rather have my 90 boxes and countless Keys than just 1 Really Great book.

Now it would clearly be much easier to sell and get the value out of that 1 really nice book....but for me who hopes to DIE with my collection...thats not an issue.

If I really took like time, I might be able to get 20 to 25 thousand for my ASM collection....that might buy a 2.0 to 3.0 AF 15.

for me at the end of the day...I would just LOST....that 1 AF 15(2 to 3.0) just wanted be as great as my ASM collection

but you bring up a great question?

for collectors that have a large number of silver age keys and sets....of course they have value, Books like Hulk 102, Cap 100 and Iron Man 1 are great...but would it be better just to sell your entire collection and Buy like 5 of the Holy Grails at the highest grade?

for me, I got 85 to 90 boxes,I've got about 20 + Major sets near complete and about 1200 + Keys(I've got about 8 Holy Grails/)

If you were looking to ONLY Maximize the value and future Value....would it be better to sell the entire collection now...

then simply try to get Maybe A FF 1, TOS 39, X-Men 1, JIM 83 in low to mid grade...

would these major keys go up in value more in the future than 1200 small, Medium and Big Keys and 20 + Major sets...

I got to believe, probably selling the collection and buying a few holy grails would be the best way to maximum value and future value...but I just couldnt do it...

that would be great for someone who's NOT a COMIC lover...for me...I couldnt imagine losing my entire collection for 3 or 4 books with around the same value...

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

My own stats - I just looked for the first time at my set in this manner. 

From AF15 to ASM100 I have one complete set graded. 

I have three sets of AF15 to ASM100 entered. 

My top set is complete with no resto and no signature series books entered into it. 

My three entries are presently ranked #34, #80, #132

However, it got me thinking that my incomplete second set could easily be beating someone with a complete set if they had a much lower graded AF15 or restoration in their books.  For example Marvel Movers is ranked at #5 but only has 49% of the collection completed.  Timely is ranked at #23 with only 2% of the collection complete.  That guy has only two books.  I am sure there is a higher grade AF 15 or number one in that obscured set. I have a completed set but do not have a single 9.8 amongst those books. 

What's my rank amongst 'completed' sets where the only criteria is that the set is 100% complete...  I am #3 with only jjbjheartman and TheUrologist1 ahead of me as of the people ahead of me on the census, only two of them have a graded copy of every book and annual from AF15 to ASM100.  Now, could the rest of those guys get a complete set?  Sure... you could slab a page of a book these days to fill in a slot. However, as I only wanted blue label non signature series copies in my set and wanted minimum grades per certain areas of the run, they too have their own criteria. 

The registry is a documentation in my eyes of what I currently have and a great way to see where I have my books at... To each their own how they chose and choose to collection.  However at this point in my life, I am upgrading a book a year.  No need to go crazy after a certain point.  For example, I have a few 9.6's and have no desire to spend the cash to get to a 9.8.  However, there are a couple of books I would like to eventually upgrade like my ASM 10, 17 and a few here and there.  

If you look at my collection, linked in my signature line you can also see what books I've upgraded over the years.  That in itself tells the story of how the collection has been built and maintained. 

Just some insight from someone that is part of the group and or numbers you guys are talking about. 

it stuns me that you pretty much have a complete ASM 1 to 100 in 8.0 or better(most 8.5 to 9.4)

and yet someone with only 2 Books(assuming they are AF 15 and ASM 1) are ahead of you.

I guess it goes to show the value of those 2 books...

But still it just doesnt seem right.

also. thank you for posting this...all of my comics are raw...but looking at this list...I'm now fully confident if I ever did have my 1 through 100 graded and would rank maybe pretty high on this list....not top 10 or anything but I think maybe a 40 to 80 ranking is possible...

although I'll never know for sure as I'll never get my 1 to 100 CGC graded but it at least is cool knowing I THINK if I did, I could at least be in the top 40 to 80...