• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walmart Marvel Comics Variants
3 3

160 posts in this topic

Picked up some new Walmart Marvel comics last week. Basically there's 3 books per pack for around $7.99. Here's a short list of a few variants.

Uncanny X-men #1 White Logo Variant

Venom Annual #1 Yellow Logo Variant

Spider-man Enter The Spider-Verse #1 Red Logo (Variant Edition on cover)

Spider Geddon #1 Walmart exclusive

Walmart X-men #1.jpg

Walmart Venom Annual #1.jpg

Walmart Spider-Verse #1.jpg

Walmart Spidey Geddon #1.jpg

I think Wal-Mart will turn out to be a treasure trove of unnoticed variants.

They’re the only place I‘ve really seen the Canadian newsstand price variants of Archie’s Marvel Comics Digest series, for example.

The big question is whether anyone will care about a white logo or an $8.99 cover price down the road. And are these books actually any scarcer than any other version? It will be interesting to watch.

17 hours ago, WhatMeWorry said:

There's a Star Wars: SOLO one as well.

Just wondering what are the pack outs.

There was also an Avengers book as well. I cant remember the issue number.  Edit: I was just there this morning it is an Avengers 10 (2018) Red Logo and they also had Infinity Wars 1 with a pinkish white logo

Edited by mysterymachine
Update

16 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Somebody going to convince me these aren't Newsstand? 

They don't have the correct barcodes to be Newsstand, and they weren't available separately in the appropriate months.  Maybe these are "21st Century Whitman Walmart Pre-Pack Only". (:

Edited by valiantman

21 minutes ago, valiantman said:

They don't have the correct barcodes to be Newsstand, and they weren't available separately in the appropriate months.  Maybe these are "21st Century Whitman Walmart Pre-Pack Only". (:

Not sure what you mean by "correct barcodes". When you purchase them they scan the bar code on the front comic. Yes, they are probably closer to Whitmans.

26 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
49 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Not sure what you mean by "correct barcodes". When you purchase them they scan the bar code on the front comic. Yes, they are probably closer to Whitmans.

Newsstand barcodes have 14 digits (12 on the left, 2 on the right).  Direct editions have 17 digits (12 on the left, 5 on the right).  These are the 17 variety.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Newsstand barcodes have 14 digits (12 on the left, 2 on the right).  Direct editions have 17 digits (12 on the left, 5 on the right).  These are the 17 variety.

Right, that was how they used to be. But they don't make newsstands anymore. However, Marvel is now apparently. Walmart would be considered a newsstand, correct, not a comic shop?