• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walmart Marvel Comics Variants
3 3

160 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2019 at 9:03 AM, Conacon said:

Is there anyone out there who has bought all of the recent Walmart packs? I'd like to know what's in them before buying. I picked up the Guardians pack and two Spider-man books with it.

And since there are more and more questions about this, I decided to open up two packs to help in the discussion:

Pack 1
Wolverine: Infinity Watch #1 (Walmart Exclusive)
Guardians of the Galaxy #147 (2nd Print)
Champions #6 (2nd Print)

Pack 2
Marvel Comics Presents (Vol 3) #1 (Walmart Exclusive)
Iron Fist #74 (2nd Print)
Weapon X #4 (2nd Print)

I do not plan on opening my other MCP or Wolverine packs at this time, so I can't tell if we'd get the same exact comics or if the other two books are randomly inserted.  If anyone else wants to weigh in, that'd be great.

4 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

there's in the neighborhood of 5K stores and according to Artgerm/Walmart there's only 2 copies of the book at each regular store (but some people believe there are more for super stores).  If there's no overprinting (highly doubtful) there's at least 10K copies, but probably a better guesstimate is more like 15K - 20K copies of the variant.  Please correct me if you think my reasoning is wrong.  Legitimately, I sort of tuned out when I was listening to someone talk about this earlier in the week after I didn't find time to go grab any copies or look at the display.  I assume that there are at least as many if not many more copies of the other books in these packs.  Again, I haven't seen the displays, but I imagine that there's more copies of the other bundles than two per store.  Also, did anyone get any information from store employees/managers about the program, etc.  Thanks! 

Unless something has changed, only the Walmart Super Stores were getting these (and the DC comics) packs.  Some Walmarts have moved these displays to their own endcaps (telling me that sales may be strong), but most stores keep them in checkout aisle #1 by the Magic, Pokemon, and sports cards.

I'm assuming you're referring to Artgerm's Twitter for the "2 copies per store", but I'm not entirely sure that that's accurate.  Someone else may need to chime in for a definitive answer, but I believe I've seen more than 2 copies of certain packs in the past.  My guess is that these all come ordered in a display box as 2 per each issue, but it's up to each Walmart to decide how many display boxes they carry.  New display boxes with newer issues get released probably once every month or two.

The bottom line is that there's no easy or foolproof way to determine the print run here.  The only things that have been determined, going by what @PKJ stated, are that these are "pay for scan" in the Walmart system.  From my understanding, this means Walmart only "purchases" each individual pack from the vendor at the time that they actually sell each individual pack to the consumer.  This means that other than taking up shelf space and potential theft, there is no liability to Walmart.  I'm not sure what this means for unsold stock (does it get returned, destroyed, discounted, or continue to sit on the shelf?).

Note that "pay for scan" has nothing to do with print runs or the ability to re-order (if that's even possible) and again, does not directly address what happens to unsold stock.

Edited by masterlogan2000

5 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

And since there are more and more questions about this, I decided to open up two packs to help in the discussion:

Pack 1
Wolverine: Infinity Watch #1 (Walmart Exclusive)
Guardians of the Galaxy #147 (2nd Print)
Champions #6 (2nd Print)

Pack 2
Marvel Comics Presents (Vol 3) #1 (Walmart Exclusive)
Iron Fist #74 (2nd Print)
Weapon X #4 (2nd Print)

I do not plan on opening my other MCP or Wolverine packs at this time, so I can't tell if we'd get the same exact comics or if the other two books are randomly inserted.  If anyone else wants to weigh in, that'd be great.

Paging @I like pie as I believe he's opened a couple of the Captain Marvel packs and may have some insight as to what books were included in those.

12 minutes ago, I like pie said:

The lenticulars are easy to see from the side. I got the guardians and spider gwen in lenticular.

The others in attached pic. Nothing special but the Spirits of Vengeance looks sweet.

20190412_170739.jpg

And these all came from just the Captain Marvel packs you opened?  I'm trying to clarify if these are prepacked with the same books (for instance, the MCP #1 pack ALWAYS contains second printings of Iron Fist #74 and Weapon X #4), or if the two extras are random books from around the same time period.  My guess is the latter, which is likely based on your post.

3 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

And these all came from just the Captain Marvel packs you opened?  I'm trying to clarify if these are prepacked with the same books (for instance, the MCP #1 pack ALWAYS contains second printings of Iron Fist #74 and Weapon X #4), or if the two extras are random books from around the same time period.  My guess is the latter, which is likely based on your post.

Yes. Just bought the Captain Marvel packs but at different locations, if that helps any.

23 hours ago, KR2428 said:

Would any of the Captain Marvel books be worth getting graded. I picked up 4 at my local Walmarts and they are all in great condition in my opinion. Just asking I may send two in to be graded just to see. But thanks for any advice. 

KR

I think it always boils down to if you want them or not. I think the hype has fizzled a bit, and I'd imagine you have some "more worthy" books in your collection.

Unless these are your first ever books, then go get it man!

I picked up the Avengers No Road Home pack last week. Great deal. Avengers #1 variant, Guardians of the Galaxy #146 second printing variant, and Iron Fist #2 second printing (first appearance of the Rat of 12 Plagues. Haven’t found Captain Marvel but would like to know what’s in the other packs. 

Spoiler

9846D46E-6697-46E1-8A7B-155611B20D44.jpeg

F52CB4A5-959A-4118-9347-30ABD246DA2F.jpeg

CA63961A-2991-4860-8B9D-A860F4ED0307.jpeg

14 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

I think it always boils down to if you want them or not. I think the hype has fizzled a bit, and I'd imagine you have some "more worthy" books in your collection.

Unless these are your first ever books, then go get it man!

Thanks for the advice Lifesuggs  I'm probably going to put it in just to see. I think it's in great shape and a cool cover. Just a 50 yr old guy having a little fun lol. 

15554361092324936023873481148246.jpg

14 hours ago, Dutchmen said:

I picked up the Avengers No Road Home pack last week. Great deal. Avengers #1 variant, Guardians of the Galaxy #146 second printing variant, and Iron Fist #2 second printing (first appearance of the Rat of 12 Plagues. Haven’t found Captain Marvel but would like to know what’s in the other packs. 

Reveal hidden contents

9846D46E-6697-46E1-8A7B-155611B20D44.jpeg

F52CB4A5-959A-4118-9347-30ABD246DA2F.jpeg

CA63961A-2991-4860-8B9D-A860F4ED0307.jpeg

Dutchman 

I know that one of the packs had Totally Awesome Hulk 22 and Spider Gwen. The others I'm not sure 

1555436311913688636226900003909.jpg

15554363451421866789922261354154.jpg

7 hours ago, KR2428 said:

Thanks for the advice Lifesuggs  I'm probably going to put it in just to see. I think it's in great shape and a cool cover. Just a 50 yr old guy having a little fun lol. 

15554361092324936023873481148246.jpg

It’s a great cover, I definitely jumped on the life of version when it came out.

i have an absurd amount of Artgerm’s work so i support it. Slab what you like!

4 hours ago, Dutchmen said:

KR2428: the spider Gwen is a cool book. Any idea WHICH pack had those. Just trying to get an idea if the packs are all bundled they same or contain a random variety 

I think it's been pretty well established thus far in the thread that each pack contains the visible, exclusive Walmart variant on top with the other two hidden books being completely random.

22 hours ago, Dutchmen said:

KR2428: the spider Gwen is a cool book. Any idea WHICH pack had those. Just trying to get an idea if the packs are all bundled they same or contain a random variety 

From what I can tell it's completely random. The books you can't see are different in every pack. I'm going to my Walmart tomorrow and get a few more packs. I'll let ya know what I get. I was there Monday and they still had about 10 -12 packs left.  

15555322637475276831214125602724.jpg

15555322916372261313450851162884.jpg

15555323110472198760784982155123.jpg

Edited by KR2428
Dutchman. Very random

Hi everyone!

I had no idea Walmart had started carrying these Marvel 3 packs until yesterday. Of course, I bought a few. When I got home I jumped onto the forum only to discover that a thread had already been in progress about these Walmart packs. So I thought it'd be interesting to share with you all what I got out of the packs I purchased.

I can definitely say (at least from my experience) that they're randomly packaged.

3pack1.jpg

3pack2.jpg

spider-gwen.jpg

3pack3.jpg

3pack4.jpg

squirrelgirl.jpg

spidey.jpg