• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walmart Marvel Comics Variants
3 3

160 posts in this topic

Stopped by the local WalMart tonight to fill up some water and found that there are some new Marvel releases.  What's interesting is that my store had more than a quantity of 2 of a couple of the issues (denoted below).  So, don't believe all the eBay misinformation that these are limited to 2 per store.  I'm not sure if someone got to these first or if they were just put out.  I'm just listing the quantity of what remained.

2x Tony Stark: Iron Man #12
2x Fantastic Four #10
3x Symbiote Spider-man #1
3x Black Cat #1
1x Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge #1
2x Thanos #1
2x Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #1
2x Incredible Hulk #1

I didn't pick any of these up, as 1) none fit my collecting habits, and 2) at $9 each it's too much of a speculation risk for me.  Small quantities of the Black Cat have sold well thus far on eBay, but I expect the market to be flooded by Friday with a race to the bottom on pricing.  Granted, if anyone wants me to pick anything up (and it's still available), I'm open to that idea and can work something out.

Below are some pics.  I also included a photo of the new DC packs, which I think contain a bundle of four 100 Page Giant issues for $10.

walmart-ironman12.thumb.jpg.400dd686844a5b9ccfbd18ad06cbaef0.jpgwalmart-ff10.thumb.jpg.3ad9c118735d0a2eadfd21126150f256.jpg

walmart-symbiote-spider-man1.thumb.jpg.aa48be0a29ab2cc54b9ce940922196ff.jpgwalmart-black-cat1.thumb.jpg.2407ebd947c52537480f605440fe33e8.jpg

walmart-star-wars-galaxy-edge1.thumb.jpg.8c21d9c4279f232741a0566cf0b5fe2f.jpgwalmart-thanos1.thumb.jpg.a9a828cd04e5b42d5c5e4a83bcaa64a6.jpg

walmart-gotg-annual1.thumb.jpg.369d05fac5eafefc322a8f70e480f5d2.jpgwalmart-incredible-hulk1.thumb.jpg.37fd6d6be5a59bdaba9372583f31646e.jpg

walmart-dc-bundle.thumb.jpg.549b90868f6c545c0733544248d60f97.jpg

^ I made my usual Tuesday night eBay sold listings browse and saw the Black Cat pack. Went to my nearest Walmart immediately and there wasn’t even a box for them where they usually are (but STACKS of the DC giants). This particular Walmart is usually stocked as soon as these are supposed to be out, but not last night. I’ll check tomorrow, but it’s odd this place doesn’t even have a trace of these.

I just ran out at lunch and confirmed the exact quantities that were listed above.  I picked up the 3 black cats and a thanos.  I like when they have totally different covers and not just the changed logo color but decided on the thanos anyways.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:48 AM, Dangercow said:

What are the other two issues included with the Black Cat #1?

In all of these Walmart packs, the two hidden issues are always random comics.  They differ in every single pack, but generally contain 2nd printings.

In other words, you never know what you're gonna get in any of these packs outside of the comic that is shown.

13 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

In all of these Walmart packs, the two hidden issues are always random comics.  They differ in every single pack, but generally contain 2nd printings.

In other words, you never know what you're gonna get in any of these packs outside of the comic that is shown.

Gotcha - thanks.

I never shop at Walmart, but I had to pick up something for the kid on Saturday and saw these at checkout. I picked up two of the Black Cats, one Thanos, and one Symbiote Spider-Man. 

My question for those in the know is -- the Black Cat and Thanos were new covers, but the Symbiote was not. It does have a different number in the UPC box (a 4 instead of a 1). I haven't had time to open them yet, but is the Symbiote a second print vs a variant cover? 

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

I never shop at Walmart, but I had to pick up something for the kid on Saturday and saw these at checkout. I picked up two of the Black Cats, one Thanos, and one Symbiote Spider-Man. 

My question for those in the know is -- the Black Cat and Thanos were new covers, but the Symbiote was not. It does have a different number in the UPC box (a 4 instead of a 1). I haven't had time to open them yet, but is the Symbiote a second print vs a variant cover? 

They are all later printings. They were made specifically for Wal-Mart and the UPC is not indicative of the printing like we are now familiar with. It does not use the same coding.

39 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They are all later printings. They were made specifically for Wal-Mart and the UPC is not indicative of the printing like we are now familiar with. It does not use the same coding.

Strange. The WalMart and the first print are the same cover, but the Walmart has a code 00140 and the standard cover has 00111. So the only way to tell them apart is that? 

(Here's an eBay listing for the original: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Symbiote-Spider-Man-Marvel-1A-2019-Land-Variant-NM-Stock-Image/362678453640)

26 minutes ago, RCheli said:

Strange. The WalMart and the first print are the same cover, but the Walmart has a code 00140 and the standard cover has 00111. So the only way to tell them apart is that? 

(Here's an eBay listing for the original: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Symbiote-Spider-Man-Marvel-1A-2019-Land-Variant-NM-Stock-Image/362678453640)

I can't speak to every issue they have in the packs. I'm sure some of them are overstock. I'm talking about the variant covers that are on top of the pack that you can see. Some they did with a different logo color originally. For instance this listing. The UPC would read 11th issue, 6th cover, 1st printing. So it reads as a variant when I believe it was actually printed at a later date so it should be a later printing.

46 minutes ago, RCheli said:

This was discussed a bit earlier in the thread.  For convenience, below is a link to a post I made in April addressing this same thing.  Hopefully it helps. :wishluck:

19 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

So it reads as a variant when I believe it was actually printed at a later date so it should be a later printing.

I'm not sure if I agree with this necessarily.  I think we've established that all of the visible issues are WalMart exclusives.  Most of them are current issues, released within the last month or two.  I would bet that these actually have a very similar print date, but the distribution to WalMart stores (due to repacking and other logistics) is what causes any perceived delay in release.

With that said, I would NOT consider these later printings, and would indeed consider them as variants.  I like to think of these as store exclusives (i.e. Midtown, Unknown Comics, IG Comic Store, etc.), just that WalMart is a much bigger distributor.  The closest thing we'd seen to this in the past was Hastings.

21 hours ago, Vfactor1 said:

Seen another pack I hadn’t seen before at local WM on July 4th.

Was a 7 comics for $10 pack, Cover book was X-23. Was in too much of hurry to look further. 

I'd be very interested to see what this is.  I had not noticed it myself, but hadn't made another trip to WalMart since my last post here.

2 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

I'd be very interested to see what this is.  I had not noticed it myself, but hadn't made another trip to WalMart since my last post here.

I’ll try to run by next couple days and snag one. I’ll let you know what the books are.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:23 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

walmart-star-wars-galaxy-edge1.thumb.jpg.8c21d9c4279f232741a0566cf0b5fe2f.jpg

Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing different about the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge #1 cover in the Walmart 3 pack than the one shipped to comic shops.  The UPC symbol, logo color, issue # size, etc. are identical.

Are we sure all these comics are Walmart exclusives?  Because this one does not appear to be.

Edited by rjrjr

3 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing different about the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge #1 cover in the Walmart 3 pack than the one shipped to comic shops.  The UPC symbol, logo color, issue # size, etc. are identical.

Are we sure all these comics are Walmart exclusives?  Because this one does not appear to be.

That's really interesting!  I'm also not seeing any difference here.  If that's the case, then this would be the very first Walmart 3-pack that didn't contain an exclusive and was simply just a repack of three already printed books.  Then again, all the other books that have been released should be reviewed to see if we've missed anything.  (If we pool all our info, maybe we could/should start a master list of sorts).

I wonder if this was intentional on the Star Wars book, or if something got mixed up or a deadline missed to commission/modify the cover.

It's also of note that this particular Star Wars comic seemed to be only 1 per case (whereas all the other packs were a minimum of 2).

9 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

That's really interesting!  I'm also not seeing any difference here.  If that's the case, then this would be the very first Walmart 3-pack that didn't contain an exclusive and was simply just a repack of three already printed books.  Then again, all the other books that have been released should be reviewed to see if we've missed anything.  (If we pool all our info, maybe we could/should start a master list of sorts).

I wonder if this was intentional on the Star Wars book, or if something got mixed up or a deadline missed to commission/modify the cover.

It's also of note that this particular Star Wars comic seemed to be only 1 per case (whereas all the other packs were a minimum of 2).

A lot of copies of this particular Star Wars #1 were shipped to Disney parks for the opening of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.  I wonder if they printed so many they decided to forgo a Walmart exclusive for this issue and just let Walmart use what they had lying around.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/05/photos-star-wars-galaxys-edge-1-comic-book-debuts-at-shops-around-walt-disney-world/

Edited by rjrjr