• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walmart Marvel Comics Variants
3 3

160 posts in this topic

So here's the scoop. Every Marvel Walmart variant I've seen has the EXACT same indicia as the DE's, right down to the manufacture date. The five digit code to tell issue # and printing doesn't seem to apply to the Marvel variants because some would indicate it was a 0 "zero" printing and we all know that's not possible. But in the case of Black Cat #1 Midtown Comics exclusive doesn't follow the 5 digit code rule either. So far ALL of the Walmart Marvel books (with the exception of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge) are a variant of sorts. They either have a different colored logo, altered existing covers (Tony Stark Iron Man #12 & Captain Marvel #1) or completely new art like Nauck's Black Cat or Lim's Fantastic Four #10. These ARE variants, NOT second prints. As far as print runs, there are only 3,568 Walmart stores in the U.S. and each store gets 2 sometimes 3 copies. If you find a store with more copies it may have been a return or another store got shorted. There are somewhere around 7,000 to 10,000 copies of these issues. Obviously the market will decide the value but IMO once speculators, or people that need to have every variant to complete their collections, or people without a Walmart in their area catch on, these issues WILL go up in value.

On 7/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, drewzer15 said:

As far as print runs, there are only 3,568 Walmart stores in the U.S. and each store gets 2 sometimes 3 copies. If you find a store with more copies it may have been a return or another store got shorted. There are somewhere around 7,000 to 10,000 copies of these issues.

And there can't possibly be any more because... ?

On 7/3/2019 at 1:23 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

Stopped by the local WalMart tonight to fill up some water and found that there are some new Marvel releases.  What's interesting is that my store had more than a quantity of 2 of a couple of the issues (denoted below).  So, don't believe all the eBay misinformation that these are limited to 2 per store.  I'm not sure if someone got to these first or if they were just put out.  I'm just listing the quantity of what remained.

2x Tony Stark: Iron Man #12
2x Fantastic Four #10
3x Symbiote Spider-man #1
3x Black Cat #1
1x Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge #1
2x Thanos #1
2x Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #1
2x Incredible Hulk #1

I didn't pick any of these up, as 1) none fit my collecting habits, and 2) at $9 each it's too much of a speculation risk for me.  Small quantities of the Black Cat have sold well thus far on eBay, but I expect the market to be flooded by Friday with a race to the bottom on pricing.  Granted, if anyone wants me to pick anything up (and it's still available), I'm open to that idea and can work something out.

Below are some pics.  I also included a photo of the new DC packs, which I think contain a bundle of four 100 Page Giant issues for $10.

walmart-ironman12.thumb.jpg.400dd686844a5b9ccfbd18ad06cbaef0.jpgwalmart-ff10.thumb.jpg.3ad9c118735d0a2eadfd21126150f256.jpg

walmart-symbiote-spider-man1.thumb.jpg.aa48be0a29ab2cc54b9ce940922196ff.jpgwalmart-black-cat1.thumb.jpg.2407ebd947c52537480f605440fe33e8.jpg

walmart-star-wars-galaxy-edge1.thumb.jpg.8c21d9c4279f232741a0566cf0b5fe2f.jpgwalmart-thanos1.thumb.jpg.a9a828cd04e5b42d5c5e4a83bcaa64a6.jpg

walmart-gotg-annual1.thumb.jpg.369d05fac5eafefc322a8f70e480f5d2.jpgwalmart-incredible-hulk1.thumb.jpg.37fd6d6be5a59bdaba9372583f31646e.jpg

walmart-dc-bundle.thumb.jpg.549b90868f6c545c0733544248d60f97.jpg

That is basically what I saw only I didn't buy any. The Venom and Captain Marvel books didn't go over well so I passed on these.
So far the secondary market agrees.

2 hours ago, Vfactor1 said:

The 7/10 package is 2 3-packs packaged with the All New Wolverine 19

Looks like all the sets may be the same?

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Vfactor1 said:

image.jpg

walmart-dc-bundle.thumb.jpg.549b90868f6c

Thanks for posting this!  I checked my store earlier today, and it didn't carry any of these packs.

It's almost like WalMart (or the vendor) is repacking their comic repacks.  I don't think it's much of a coincidence how similar the sticker for "Marvel Comics 7 for $10" is to the "DC Comics 10 for $10" that I posted earlier (and above for reference).  I bet a lot of the unsold stock (for both the Marvel and DC packs) went back for further repacking and distribution.  If these truly are "pay for scan" as discussed earlier on in the thread, then WalMart doesn't really have much to lose (just shelf space), and the vendor likely wants to move the product any way they can.

8 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

walmart-dc-bundle.thumb.jpg.549b90868f6c

Thanks for posting this!  I checked my store earlier today, and it didn't carry any of these packs.

It's almost like WalMart (or the vendor) is repacking their comic repacks.  I don't think it's much of a coincidence how similar the sticker for "Marvel Comics 7 for $10" is to the "DC Comics 10 for $10" that I posted earlier (and above for reference).  I bet a lot of the unsold stock (for both the Marvel and DC packs) went back for further repacking and distribution.  If these truly are "pay for scan" as discussed earlier on in the thread, then WalMart doesn't really have much to lose (just shelf space), and the vendor likely wants to move the product any way they can.

The DC 10 for $10 pack I picked up had mostly New 52 issues inside in individual 3 packs. Batman, Lobo #1,  Justice league and on... All first print according to the mast head. 

16 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
On 7/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, drewzer15 said:

As far as print runs, there are only 3,568 Walmart stores in the U.S. and each store gets 2 sometimes 3 copies. If you find a store with more copies it may have been a return or another store got shorted. There are somewhere around 7,000 to 10,000 copies of these issues.

And there can't possibly be any more because... ?

Because, obviously, Walmart isn't a company that focuses on high volumes and restocking. :kidaround:

Edited by valiantman

On 7/12/2019 at 10:52 AM, valiantman said:

Because, obviously, Walmart isn't a company that focuses on high volumes and restocking. :kidaround:

True that, but it seems like once these have sold, they aren't being replaced. I know it's been mentioned before, but I'm still seeing ebay sellers touting, "just two per store", but my local store had four Black Cat packs. 

On 7/16/2019 at 11:04 PM, Conacon said:

True that, but it seems like once these have sold, they aren't being replaced. I know it's been mentioned before, but I'm still seeing ebay sellers touting, "just two per store", but my local store had four Black Cat packs. 

Some stores may get 4 some stores get none. It depends on if they're a big seller in that store. If nothing sold since the last time they were filled, they won't add any more and they'll give them to a store that sells more. As for the 7 packs. No the rules don't apply for those. They are just getting rid of a bunch of second printing returns.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:51 PM, fastballspecial said:

That is basically what I saw only I didn't buy any. The Venom and Captain Marvel books didn't go over well so I passed on these.
So far the secondary market agrees.

Black Cat & Fantastic Four are 1:25 variants based on distribution numbers for the regular copies. "Flooding the market" is such a BS term. There are only X amount of copies. It isn't a constantly changing amount. Just because a lot of the books are on eBay, doesn't make the market flooded. Think of it like this, if you spilled a gallon of water on your kitchen floor, it'd look like a lot, if you spilled a gallon on your driveway it wouldn't look like much at all.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:52 AM, valiantman said:

Walmart actually isn't responsible for these books at all, so technically it's wrong to say they are Walmart variant, but the books are made for MK Holdings and sold by them exclusively through Walmart. They're not going to order 1,000,000 copies and keep filling until they're sold out, they want to make their quick buck and move on to the next month's offering.

6 hours ago, drewzer15 said:

Walmart actually isn't responsible for these books at all, so technically it's wrong to say they are Walmart variant, but the books are made for MK Holdings and sold by them exclusively through Walmart. They're not going to order 1,000,000 copies and keep filling until they're sold out, they want to make their quick buck and move on to the next month's offering.

bro, you dont know anything

Hello, just registered so I could get in on this topic with this shocking and profound question... Why hasn't anyone stressed anything about keeping the 3-packs in their original packaging for highest collectible value? I have Uncanny X-men #1, Captain Marvel #1, and the Black Cat #1 in original unopened shrink. 

This factor has ALWAYS BEEN the key in all other collecting venues I've seen. Does this NOT apply for these? 

On 8/31/2019 at 2:30 PM, Prestige comics said:

Hello, just registered so I could get in on this topic with this shocking and profound question... Why hasn't anyone stressed anything about keeping the 3-packs in their original packaging for highest collectible value? I have Uncanny X-men #1, Captain Marvel #1, and the Black Cat #1 in original unopened shrink. 

This factor has ALWAYS BEEN the key in all other collecting venues I've seen. Does this NOT apply for these? 

So I join up and ask a motivating and intelligent question that closes down discussion on the topic?  Does anyone have any idea what I am asking? 

43 minutes ago, Prestige comics said:

So I join up and ask a motivating and intelligent question that closes down discussion on the topic?  Does anyone have any idea what I am asking? 

There was almost a month between the last post on this subject and your “thought-provoking” question. That can hardly be considered a “closing down of a discussion”.

You’re new here. Great! Welcome to the forum. 

That being said, give it some time or add more thought to your question. Elaborate, but I wouldn’t suggest trying to carve yourself out as some type of Thread-Martyr.

Yes, that is not the intention. I've played on forums since they first started coming around over 15 years ago. Just got a lot going on and don't have a lot of spare time to elaborate beyond the simple question. I'll try again... a different way... 

"Why is it alright to take these Walmart variants out of their shrinkwrap and still expect top price for them? Hasn't ever been acceptable before in all collection venues, why now? They've been handled by human hands. I understand the anticipation behind not knowing what the other books are, but isn't that having your cake and eating it too... and someone elses?"