• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Provenance vs SLIGHTLY higher grade

32 posts in this topic

I would usually go provenance. Especially if it is a cool story. I have a pretty low grade Flash Comics 8 that has a library style piece of paper glued on the inside of the back cover and you can read the date that the owner checked it out to his friends and when they returned it. I really get a kick out of imagining the kid in the early 1940's running his lending library.

25 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Fun question. Provenance where it’s a pedigree like the Mile High. Condition where it’s simply a ownership provenance like “collection of John Berk” or “Nick Cage”. The only exception might be where the non-provenance copy is the highest graded. 

I like your train of thinking ......What if the provenance is a publisher file copy ? 

55 minutes ago, ender said:

I have a pretty low grade Flash Comics 8 that has a library style piece of paper glued on the inside of the back cover and you can read the date that the owner checked it out to his friends and when they returned it. I really get a kick out of imagining the kid in the early 1940's running his lending library.

This is very cool!

I have zero interest in who owned a book before and cannot for the life of me understand why it matters to others.

2 hours ago, ender said:

I would usually go provenance. Especially if it is a cool story. I have a pretty low grade Flash Comics 8 that has a library style piece of paper glued on the inside of the back cover and you can read the date that the owner checked it out to his friends and when they returned it. I really get a kick out of imagining the kid in the early 1940's running his lending library.

This is very cool though. I have a date stamp on a Captain marvel Adventures to something like the Smith Pharmacy and written on the cover is a woman's (girl's?) name like Barbara Smith. I do like that as it is kind of neat. But I'd take the next grade up every time.

53 minutes ago, Bird said:

zero interest

I’m the opposite. Hearing the history of a comic or collection is what it’s all about to me. As for why it probably all goes back to romanticizing my own lifetime of efforts starting in the mid 70”s to collect comics. 

Edited by ThothAmon

Mixed feelings...I like high grade books when I can afford them, and I don’t need additional reasons to pay even more for nice copies... so I tend to steer clear of the expensive pedigrees, if I can.

I also would prefer to have the books I own be the ‘szavisca copies’ not the ‘somebody else’s copy that szavisca is temporarily holding’ Copy... but whether a GA book has a named pedigree or not it will always have been someone else’s first anyway...so ... mixed feelings.

Edited by szavisca

I go for page quality first and grade second. I don't care much about provenance beyond the fact that some pedigrees have nice pages and are high grade. So many of the Mile Highs have glue and/or color touch that I'm not as big a fan of that pedigree as I used to be. Vancouver might be my favorite pedigree based on freshness, but I've never owned one, in part because there aren't that many Vancouver books that are in my wheelhouse.

7 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Fun question. Provenance where it’s a pedigree like the Mile High. Condition where it’s simply a ownership provenance like “collection of John Berk” or “Nick Cage”. The only exception might be where the non-provenance copy is the highest graded. 

Provenance and pedigrees are two separate things. 

...to answer the OPs question, it would depend on the book and the pedigree or provenance. 

I have an Okajima Planet that is the second highest graded. Would I trade "up" for an additional step on the grading scale? NO WAY. 

4 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Where did I say it wasn’t?  All books have a provenance but only some are deigned to have a pedigree. Think my post clearly distinguishes between the two ideas. 

"Provenance where it’s a pedigree like the Mile High."

My apologies, but the grammatical structure of the sentence above makes it seem like you were saying they were the same thing. 

Deep down I knew that you knew better. :)

:foryou:

17 minutes ago, newshane said:

"Provenance where it’s a pedigree like the Mile High."

My apologies, but the grammatical structure of the sentence above makes it seem like you were saying they were the same thing. 

Deep down I knew that you knew better. :)

:foryou:

Damn Kids!