• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well... 2018 kind of sucked.
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Gary Friedrich

Marie Severin

Steve Ditko

Stan Lee

Rest in Peace...

l hope the best for everyone this new year.

Let us hope 2019 will be a brilliant one

p.s. as I mentioned Marie Severin, does anyone know if she ever did any CGC ss signings? I have not seen any. just curious 

Edited by Aliens

57 minutes ago, Aliens said:

p.s. as I mentioned Marie Severin, does anyone know if she ever did any CGC ss signings? I have not seen any. just curious 

At the very least, she did contribute a sketch cover to the first Hero Initiative 100 project (Spider-man).  That's the only SS I recall seeing of her, though there could be more.

It's not as if they are young guns, many of them were juggernauts of the 50s, 60s, and 70s so it was just a matter of time. I'll certainly miss them but they left behind a legacy that will live on in all of us and can pass down to our posterity.  I'm glad that I know of them and their works.

I personally lost 3 family members this year.

One was very hard on me, and will forever leave an impression on me.

My nephew Jon Paul Steuer was a great kid, he made a name for himself as an actor, and he was a very talented person.

You know once a child actor isn't cute anymore Hollywood tosses them out like yesterday's trash, and Jon had his troubles with coping.

He turned to drugs,and the depression was heavy.

We all in the family thought he was on the mend with a great band , and his restaurant. 

Jon committed suicide on January 1st of this year, and it pains me to say that I wish I was more active in his life, and to be there for him even more than I was.

So in the next year, my advice to you all is be closer to your family, and reach out to loved ones you don't normally talk to on a regular basis.

You never know when it might be the last time you do.

Edited by oakman29

Sorry to hear that @oakman29 :sorry:

My uncle died this year in a motorcycle accident, maybe 2 months ago. Family is missed, and even family loved ones that aren't blood need our support!

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

My nephew Jon Paul Steuer was a great kid, he made a name for himself as an actor, and he was a very talented person.

You know once a child actor isn't cute anymore Hollywood tosses them out like yesterday's trash, and Jon had his troubles with coping.

We all in the family thought he was on the mend with a great band , and his restaurant. 

Jon committed suicide on January 1st of this year, and it pains me to say that I wish I was more active in his life, and to be there for him even more than I was.

So in the next year, my advice to you all is be closer to your family, and reach out to loved ones you don't normally talk to on a regular basis.

Sage advice, Oakie.  :foryou: 

Years ago I got a Feldstein SS on Shock SuspenStories #1 at a Con... asked around on the board to see if anyone could find Jack Davis or Marie who were, I believe, the only other living creators at the time... (now, sadly, all gone... RIP)

Awesomely someone got the JD sig for me, but in that same thread (not sure if it was the same person) someone said that Marie did not do SS as she was bothered by the financial incentive and windfall that others got from her work and sig.

So... at best this is 3rd hand info and seen through a little fog of auld lang syne... Caveat Emptor :)

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, oakman29 said:

FYI if anyone viewing didn't know -- the Google machine tells me this young man's roles included Worf's son Alexander on Star Trek TNG. 

So sorry to hear this @oakman29, it's terrible whenever suicide claims a life.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

FYI if anyone viewing didn't know -- the Google machine tells me this young man's roles included Worf's son Alexander on Star Trek TNG. 

So sorry to hear this @oakman29, it's terrible whenever suicide claims a life.

Thank you very much. 

It was a terrible blow for our family.