• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

So now Bob Layton in addition to calling himself a legend....says he is the co-creator of Iron Man.  Does he feel the need to write this now that Stan has passed?  Why would he write that when he knows it was Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and I believe Larry Leiber?  That's a credit he doesn't deserve.  New Ant-Man?  Sure.  War Machine, sure.  Some new armors for Iron Man, sure...but Co-Creator is over the top a lie.  

Bob Layton.png

Edited by Mark 1

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

i think hes gonna be getting a letter from Stan Lee's Estate lawyers, and Disney's lawyers, and Marvel's lawyers...

He didnt even create the yellow/red armor....

I truly am sickened to see him write this.  The guy's ego is huge but this way over the line.  

He started on the title like 15 years after the character was introduced???? No doubt he had a role in shaping the current version of the character working with micheline on the Alcoholism theme, war machine, etc., but really??? That's akin to john Byrne claiming he co-created the fantastic four.

I follow him on FB. Kind of ironic that he would claim this since he seems to complain quite a bit about how artists (mostly he cries about no royalties for images he drew that are now on backpacks, lunch boxes etc) are always getting screwed for this or that. 

David Michelini is his best friend and the writer part of the team that co-created these characters so I wouldn’t rush to judgment on anything except for the original Iron Man. Layton was the inker part of the Iron Man team for many of the other characters but may have participated more than we know. (They came over to Marvel as a team.)

John Byrne is the listed artist for the creation of War Machine. Joe Staton has the artist credit for the Bronze Age Huntress by writer Paul Levitz.

4 hours ago, Mark 1 said:

He now blocked me from his Instagram.  Nice move Bob Layton.  

Did you write to ask what he meant by it before calling him out publicly?

(shrug)

29 minutes ago, sckao said:

David Michelini is his best friend and the writer part of the team that co-created these characters so I wouldn’t rush to judgment on anything except for the original Iron Man. Layton was the inker part of the Iron Man team for many of the other characters but may have participated more than we know. (They came over to Marvel as a team.)

John Byrne is the listed artist for the creation of War Machine. Joe Staton has the artist credit for the Bronze Age Huntress by writer Paul Levitz.

What he is claiming is misleading at best and a lie at worst.  "Co-Creator of Iron Man" is just ridiculous.  He was an artist on Iron Man.  Created some great stories and some versions of the armor.  Co-Creator of Iron Man? NO.  That's like Todd McFarland claiming he is the "Co-Creator of Spider-Man".  Has he ever done that? 

29 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Did you write to ask what he meant by it before calling him out publicly?

(shrug)

Hi Roy, :foryou:

No, I didn't.  The claim is so outrageous that he should know better.  There really isn't any explanation possible to write that he is the "Co-Creator of Iron Man".  I never took issue with his claim he is a legend.  That's fine. lol 

Just after the Iron Man film came out in 2008, Layton was a guest at Toronto Fan Expo. I chatted with him for a bit and asked him what he thought of the movie. He said that he refused to see it because they had used his Iron Man armour design without giving him any credit. It was a sore point for him.