• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

Some background and summaries of some of the comics in question and the time period... I think that team also co-created Justin Hammer, one of the villains of the movie Iron Man 2. The Whiplash character created by Stan Lee and Gene Colan, was brought back as BlackLash under Hammer during the Michelinie/Romita, Jr./Layton run.

http://www.studioremarkable.com/reviews/the-best-of-iron-man-david-micheline-bob-layton-john-romita-jr/7983/

Would anyone be questioning this if he had just clarified that he was partly responsible for the Bronze Age revival/version of Iron Man? Similar to Miller’s work on Daredevil or Claremont/Cockrum on X-men. Layton definitely had nothing to do with the ORIGIN and initial creation of Iron Man. In that same sense, Michelinie would probably say he originated most of the characters that initially appeared in his works.

https://www.cbr.com/david-michelinie-comics-creator-credits/

Also...

Controversy on the Scott Lang Ant-Man credits... Worth a read. 

https://www.cbr.com/ant-man-scott-lang-creators/

Getting ticked cause he didnt get credit for the armor is goofy.  Should every creator have been credited for every aspect of every Marvel movie?  I created Pepper Potts well I created Iron Man being an alcoholic yes I created his tracking beacon-

7 minutes ago, sckao said:

Would anyone be questioning this if he had just clarified that he was partly responsible for the Bronze Age revival/version of Iron Man? Similar to Miller’s work on Daredevil or Claremont/Cockrum on X-men. Layton definitely had nothing to do with the ORIGIN and initial creation of Iron Man. In that same sense, Michelinie would probably say he originated most of the characters that initially appeared in his works.

https://www.cbr.com/david-michelinie-comics-creator-credits/

If he clarified his involvement, I wouldn't be questioning it.  He was part of the BA revival and created some iconic stories and armors.  That's why I am (having a hard time now to say) a fan of his work.  I own 3 cover recreations by the guy so I recognize his importance in the history of the character.  Co-Creator of Iron Man is ridiculous and beyond an exaggeration.  It's silly.  

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Did you write to ask what he meant by it before calling him out publicly?

(shrug)

It seemed like a pretty simple and straightforward declaration to me. 2c

32 minutes ago, sckao said:

Would anyone be questioning this if he had just clarified that he was partly responsible for the Bronze Age revival/version of Iron Man?

I think thats a reasonable expression of his input. Or "The definitive bronze age Iron Man artist" but he wants creator credit obviously....

of course what should we expect from the guy with the instagram id starting "comic_legend"

Edited by miraclemet

Bob Layton was born in 1953

Iron Man was first published in 1963

Bob Layton's claims, if true would make him the most prolific 10 year old the comics community has ever seen.

Now I need to repost this on Twitter and IG and tag him in it. 

16 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Bob Layton was born in 1953

Iron Man was first published in 1963

Bob Layton's claims, if true would make him the most prolific 10 year old the comics community has ever seen.

Now I need to repost this on Twitter and IG and tag him in it. 

Please credit me as the creator of this insightful comment, please. :ohnoez:lol

Edited by stock_rotation
just wanted to clarify this is a joke!

1 hour ago, sckao said:

Would anyone be questioning this if he had just clarified that he was partly responsible for the Bronze Age revival/version of Iron Man? Similar to Miller’s work on Daredevil or Claremont/Cockrum on X-men. Layton definitely had nothing to do with the ORIGIN and initial creation of Iron Man.

Does Alan Moore credit himself as co-creator of Swamp Thing?

Please also note to him look how Ditko never wanted credit for Spiderman and how people respect the *spoon* out of him for that.  Grabbing credit-especially undue credit, makes you look like an *spoon* hole.  Imagine if God himself said I created the Universe!   I did it!  Arent I awesome?  He would look like a dip *spoon*.