• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

No update on anything as of yet.  His IG and Twitter still say the same thing "Co-Creator of Iron Man" and THE definitive Iron Man Creator".  I wonder how long it will take for this to change... ???

17 hours ago, kav said:

John Romita must be co-creator of Spider Man!!!!!  holy-

Romita at least drew some of the iconic characters first. Layton did do the cover for drunk Tony stark, I think he did the first Rhodes issue, but I checked and he wasn't around for war machine. I think of him as the iron man guy in the late 70s and 80s, but mainly he worked on a bunch of covers, helped with some scripts, and inked.

While I agree that claiming to be a creator of Iron Man is not accurate, I think what Layton  is trying to convey with his claim is that the Michelinie/Layton team had a significant influence on the version of Iron Man brought to life by Robert Downey Jr. that most of the world now knows as Iron Man. Before they began working on the character in the late 1970s, Tony Stark was a very generic business man. The work done by the duo, along with a young JRJR, brought to life the notion of a Stark as a three-dimensional billionaire playboy/industrialist/inventor/superhero. Although he was not yet the wise-cracking version of Stark played by RDJ, this comic book version laid the foundation for that interpretation of the character. 

22 minutes ago, Gardner Broome said:

While I agree that claiming to be a creator of Iron Man is not accurate, I think what Layton  is trying to convey with his claim is that the Michelinie/Layton team had a significant influence on the version of Iron Man brought to life by Robert Downey Jr. that most of the world now knows as Iron Man. Before they began working on the character in the late 1970s, Tony Stark was a very generic business man. The work done by the duo, along with a young JRJR, brought to life the notion of a Stark as a three-dimensional billionaire playboy/industrialist/inventor/superhero. Although he was not yet the wise-cracking version of Stark played by RDJ, this comic book version laid the foundation for that interpretation of the character. 

That may be so, but calling himself a "co-creator" is still disingenuous.  I'd compare it to if Chris Claremont were to start going around saying he was a co-creator of Wolverine because he wrote the 1982 mini-series.

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

That may be so, but calling himself a "co-creator" is still disingenuous.  I'd compare it to if Chris Claremont were to start going around saying he was a co-creator of Wolverine because he wrote the 1982 mini-series.

People that tell others how great they are dont feel very good about themselves.  Thats why they have to keep saying it.  

29 minutes ago, Gardner Broome said:

While I agree that claiming to be a creator of Iron Man is not accurate, I think what Layton  is trying to convey with his claim is that the Michelinie/Layton team had a significant influence on the version of Iron Man brought to life by Robert Downey Jr. that most of the world now knows as Iron Man.

I disagree. He is outright lying. 

He MIGHT be able to argue that he was the seminal Iron Man artist. That is a matter of opinion. 

But "co-creator of Iron Man" is just a flat out lie. Trying to bend semantics to justify his lie is wrong and futile. 

"BUT WHAT HE MEANT....BUT WHAT HE MEANT...." 

No! He meant exactly what he clearly stated. He sees himself as the co-creator of Iron Man. Simply not true. We are dealing with verifiable FACT here. 

Maybe this part of his "mature sex symbol" scheme. I can see him on a cheap cruise warming up to a lady 20 years his minor. "Hey babe. You know...IRON MAN (wink wink)? No? You haven't seen the movie with Downey Jr? Well, I MADE Iron Man! See this picture? That's me and Downey right there on the set!" 

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

He MIGHT be able to argue that he was the seminal Iron Man artist. That is a matter of opinion. 

But "co-creator of Iron Man" is just a flat out lie. Trying to bend semantics to justify his lie is wrong and futile. 

No! He meant exactly what he clearly stated. He sees himself as the co-creator of Iron Man. Simply not true. We are dealing with verifiable FACT here. 

Plus, if thats what he meant, he would have clarified when confronted, instead of banning.  Banning was a clear statement about what he meant.

At least the bio on his website is accurate: 

One of the comics industry’s true visionaries at every level, creator, writer, artist, designer, and entrepreneur, with over 5000 comic book credits to his name, Bob Layton has successfully migrated from comics to other media, including television, animation and feature films. If you’ve seen the Iron Man movies, then you’re familiar with Bob’s work as the DVD extras make clear. Bob reinvented the Iron Man comic in the late 70s, taking it from near-cancellation to one of Marvel’s all-time bestselling series. The classic Iron Man story “Demon in a Bottle” was recently voted “one of the top 20 comic stories of all time”. Bob also is credited as the co-creator of Marvel’s War Machine and DC Comics’ The Huntress as well as designing Mattel’s hugely-successful “Secret Wars” toy line. 

At Marvel, Bob launched the first mini-series in comics’ history with his highly-praised “Hercules: Prince of Power“. That series, which Layton wrote and drew, spawned several successful sequels, a graphic novel and is still available to this day in trade paperback format. Layton also launched the record-breaking comic series “X-Factor” for Marvel. As co-author, Bob was involved in the creation of the new Ant-Man (Scott Lang) and many of the characters that appeared in the hit Marvel film. 

Not sure why there is a notable dependency across his social media platforms. :screwy:

Edited by newshane

47 minutes ago, newshane said:

Maybe this part of his "mature sex symbol" scheme. I can see him on a cheap cruise warming up to a lady 20 years his minor. "Hey babe. You know...IRON MAN (wink wink)? No? You haven't seen the movie with Downey Jr? Well, I MADE Iron Man! See this picture? That's me and Downey right there on the set!" 

He's slimy. Having met him twice and once with my daughter.  :sick:

51 minutes ago, newshane said:

Thank you for being as passionate as I am about how this is a bold LIE.  It seems I can't call him out on it anymore but others can.  

17 hours ago, Oddball said:

Regarding the Silver Centurion armor....

Little off topic, but that was my fave suit. I may be alone in this sentiment. lol 

29 minutes ago, newshane said:

At least the bio on his website is accurate: 

One of the comics industry’s true visionaries at every level, creator, writer, artist, designer, and entrepreneur, with over 5000 comic book credits to his name, Bob Layton has successfully migrated from comics to other media, including television, animation and feature films. If you’ve seen the Iron Man movies, then you’re familiar with Bob’s work as the DVD extras make clear. Bob reinvented the Iron Man comic in the late 70s, taking it from near-cancellation to one of Marvel’s all-time bestselling series. The classic Iron Man story “Demon in a Bottle” was recently voted “one of the top 20 comic stories of all time”. Bob also is credited as the co-creator of Marvel’s War Machine and DC Comics’ The Huntress as well as designing Mattel’s hugely-successful “Secret Wars” toy line.

Sales may have increased during Michelinie and Layton's tenure, but I don't think Iron Man was ever close to being an all-time bestseller for Marvel.  And Layton was co-plotter when James Rhodes was introduced, but Len Kaminski and Kev Hopgood were the writer and artist when Rhodey became War Machine.

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

He didn't block me from twitter but I did get one retweet. lol 

Bunch of you found me on IG - cool. 

But... nothing else... oh well. 

He has deleted all your posts.  And the other guy who called him a name.  

Interesting....he thinks he can delete it away.

I wish someone would ask him who did you co-create Iron Man with?  Then when he says uh David Michelinie and uh John Romita Jr they can say wait I thought stan lee larry lieber and don heck co created Iron Man.  Right now he can hide behind vagueness but a pointed question would pin him down.  Someone pls do this and report back.