• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

Just now, kav said:

Question: you dont think he's full of himself?

I know that people have no sense of humor so something that comes across to me as tongue in cheek "mature sex symbol" caused at least one person to refer to him as "slimy"(!) and several to say he's full of himself.

I'm not saying him claiming co-creatorship of Iron Man is right, it's silly and I doubt anyone is buying it.

He's a free lancer and I'm sure he feels the need for self promotion. That is no crime.

I've met him and had a chance to hang around the guy for a bit and I never got the impression that he was a self impressed d-bag. He might be one, but I didn't get that vibe.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

I know that people have no sense of humor so something that comes across to me as tongue in cheek "mature sex symbol" caused at least one person to refer to him as "slimy"(!) and several to say he's full of himself.

I'm not saying him claiming co-creatorship of Iron Man is right, it's silly and I doubt anyone is buying it.

He's a free lancer and I'm sure he feels the need for self promotion. That is no crime.

I've met him and had a chance to hang around the guy for a bit and I never got the impression that he was a self impressed d-bag. He might be one, but I didn't get that vibe.

Question: do you think he believes he is co creator of Iron Man or just poorly worded his statement?  

4 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

No one would start a thread if Layton claimed to be the greatest iron man artist. It would be egotistical, but harmless.

Claiming creator rights can be harmful to the actual IP owners.

I wouldn't be bothered if he was the self proclaimed Greatest Iron Man artist.  Who cares right?  

Claiming creator rights is dangerous to those great men we respect from Marvel.  

1 minute ago, kav said:

Question: do you think he believes he is co creator of Iron Man or just poorly worded his statement?  

He didn't strike me as particularly insane, so no I do not believe he thinks he co created the character.

Creation is a funny thing though, Len Wein co created Wolverine, John Romita designed his costume. But any real X-Men fan knows it was John Byrne and Chris Claremont that turned him into the character that became popular.

He didn't strike me as particularly insane, so no I do not believe he thinks he co created the character.

Creation is a funny thing though, Len Wein co created Wolverine, John Romita designed his costume. But any real X-Men fan knows it was John Byrne and Chris Claremont that turned him into the character that became popular.

Your thoughts on why he blocked people if he didnt really believe he co created?  Or does he know he didnt, but wants others to think he did?  He either is lying to pump himself up, or he blocked people because he believes he is co creator.  

1 minute ago, kav said:

Your thoughts on why he blocked people if he didnt really believe he co created?  Or does he know he didnt, but wants others to think he did?  He either is lying to pump himself up, or he blocked people because he believes he is co creator.  

I don't presume to know his motivations. If I were that upset about it I wouldn't start a public campaign to try and discredit him, I would contact Disney's lawyers since he's "damaging" :eyeroll: their IP.

Maybe he blocked people because they were acting like annoying little gnats.

7 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I don't presume to know his motivations. If I were that upset about it I wouldn't start a public campaign to try and discredit him, I would contact Disney's lawyers since he's "damaging" :eyeroll: their IP.

Didn't say he was damaging the IP, but rather that contrary claims of ownership can hurt the ownership claims by the rightful owner.

Say as part of the purchase of marvel Disney is paying the creators of Iron man some percentage based on the fact that they created the IP (I know comics creator rights are a mess, but this is just to create the example of why it's important to be clear on creative ownership)

Say marvels lawyers then argues that they were no longer obligated to follow the contract since they can show there is dispute in the public as to who created the IP and they are not contractually obligated to pay since there is now a dispute of creation. And yeah the creator can counter sue, but who do you think has more lawyer money, Disney or some silver age artist?

So the actual creator loses money cause someone else claims they created it.

This is the type of damage that can occur (and has in a variety of creative mediums....)

5 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Didn't say he was damaging the IP, but rather that contrary claims of ownership can hurt the ownership claims by the rightful owner.

Say as part of the purchase of marvel Disney is paying the creators of Iron man some percentage based on the fact that they created the IP (I know comics creator rights are a mess, but this is just to create the example of why it's important to be clear on creative ownership)

Say marvels lawyers then argues that they were no longer obligated to follow the contract since they can show there is dispute in the public as to who created the IP and they are not contractually obligated to pay since there is now a dispute of creation. And yeah the creator can counter sue, but who do you think has more lawyer money, Disney or some silver age artist?

So the actual creator loses money cause someone else claims they created it.

This is the type of damage that can occur (and has in a variety of creative mediums....)

None of this would happen because IM was created 10 years before he got into the business. It would never go to court and if it did it would be over in one day.

9 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

None of this would happen because IM was created 10 years before he got into the business. It would never go to court and if it did it would be over in one day.

A simple cease and desist letter and a 30 second revision to his social media platforms would do the trick just fine. 

I don't care about his reputation for women. I care about the falsification of the record. I care because he is misleading people who may not know any better. I care because it's immoral and it hurts artists when other people go around ripping them off, on a corporeal or symbolic level. 

5 minutes ago, newshane said:

A simple cease and desist letter and a 30 second revision to his social media platforms would do the trick just fine. 

I don't care about his reputation for women. I care about the falsification of the record. I care because he is misleading people who may not know any better. I care because it's immoral and it hurts artists when other people go around ripping them off, on a corporeal or symbolic level. 

That's a lot more adult than a bunch of middle aged men giggling with glee that they irritated him on twitter.

5 minutes ago, newshane said:

Thank you, and this is why I care also.  I'm not out to get the guy.  I own 3 pieces of art and several signed pieces by him  Before his ridiculous claims, I liked the guy for the most part.  

That's a lot more adult than a bunch of middle aged men giggling with glee that they irritated him on twitter.

I said what newshane said already.  In my first post about how it wasn't right.  It's the title of my thread.  

Edited by Mark 1

hey we dont hit the clubs any more we need somethin!

7 minutes ago, newshane said:

Did it hurt anyone when Jack Kirby towards the end of his life let his sycophants convince him he had created everything at Marvel?

2 minutes ago, Mark 1 said:

I said what newshane said already.  In my first post about how it wasn't right.  It's the title of my thread.  

His was less whiny.