• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

Just now, Logan510 said:

Did it hurt anyone when Jack Kirby towards the end of his life let his sycophants convince him he had created everything at Marvel?

:facepalm:

Did Jack Kirby have social media?  Or print anywhere he thought he created everything at Marvel?  

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Did it hurt anyone when Jack Kirby towards the end of his life let his sycophants convince him he had created everything at Marvel?

hm good point.  when he said all stan lee wrote was the credits my jaw dropped.  So, you scripted all the FF and Thor stories?  Howcome then your writing became so goofy when you went to DC???  Is that when you discovered quotation marks???

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

No, I obviously just made it up :eyeroll:

I think I read those claims in the Kirby Collector interviews.

1 minute ago, kav said:

hm good point.  when he said all stan lee wrote was the credits my jaw dropped.  So, you scripted all the FF and Thor stories?  Howcome then your writing became so goofy when you went to DC???  Is that when you discovered quotation marks???

I remember reading an article that Ditko wrote explaining how Jack Kirby had S all to do with Spider-Man, he was not a happy camper when Kirby started going around telling everyone that he was the creator. He didn't do it on social media though, so it doesn't count.

3 minutes ago, Mark 1 said:

That's because you have a hard on for me.  Admit it.  :x

As long as you don't ask me to meet you at Phil's parking lot, sure why not (shrug)

I love Kirby and I love his goofy writing.  But nowhere in say the FF will you see writing like this:
Those "pseudo-cops" are out to "get" me-why havent they "changed their mind" and "continue" to "harass" me?

WHATS WITH THE QUOTATION MARKS BRUH???

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I remember reading an article that Ditko wrote explaining how Jack Kirby had S all to do with Spider-Man, he was not a happy camper when Kirby started going around telling everyone that he was the creator. He didn't do it on social media though, so it doesn't count.

If Ditko, who didnt want any credit, was saying that, it had to be true.  He just hated fabrications he wasnt trying to claim spider man.  He wanted nothing to do with claiming spider man or Dr Strange.  When asked he would say "I was work for hire-"

Ditko having an opinion that Kirby had nothing to do with Spider-man or Kirby thinking Stan Lee had nothing to do with the stories are all opinions.  

A past Marvel comics Iron Man artist claiming on social media "Co-Creator of Iron Man" is not his opinion.  He is publishing what appears to be a fact as a bio line.  It's not right. 

I wouldn't care at all if Bob Layton went around town claiming he was the best Iron Man artist who brought the title back from the brink of cancellation.  Maybe it's true.  Maybe not.  I wasn't there.  

I just know he had NOTHING to do with creating Iron Man.  The longer he says it the more people will believe it over time.  It tarnishes and erases the true history that I respect.  It's wrong.  

6 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

As long as you don't ask me to meet you at Phil's parking lot, sure why not (shrug)

You can meet me there anytime.  Phil has some great comics.  I've actually been meaning to go there.  Last time I went a boardie friend picked up a Hulk 1 for 1/4 the going price.  

Edited by Mark 1

3 minutes ago, Mark 1 said:

Ditko having an opinion that Kirby had nothing to do with Spider-man or Kirby thinking Stan Lee had nothing to do with the stories are all opinions.

Are these really matters of opinion?  Kirby either helped create spider man, or he didnt.  Kirby thinking stan lee did no writing is also not an opinion.  It is flat out wrong.  Even if it was correct, it still would not be an 'opinion'.  For example it's not an 'opinion' that Tolstoy wrote war and peace.

14 minutes ago, Mark 1 said:

You can meet me there anytime.  Phil has some great comics.  I've actually been meaning to go there.  Last time I went a boardie friend picked up a Hulk 1 for 1/4 the going price.  

He has some vintage Cap cards too but there's some blood on em.

38 minutes ago, kav said:

Are these really matters of opinion?  Kirby either helped create spider man, or he didnt.  Kirby thinking stan lee did no writing is also not an opinion.  It is flat out wrong.  Even if it was correct, it still would not be an 'opinion'.  For example it's not an 'opinion' that Tolstoy wrote war and peace.

I agree with you. 

49 minutes ago, kav said:

I love Kirby and I love his goofy writing.  But nowhere in say the FF will you see writing like this:
Those "pseudo-cops" are out to "get" me-why havent they "changed their mind" and "continue" to "harass" me?

WHATS WITH THE QUOTATION MARKS BRUH???

Am I the only one who read that bit of dialogue in the voice of William Shatner?

2 hours ago, Mark 1 said:

I feel threatened now.

2 hours ago, Mark 1 said:

A past Marvel comics Iron Man artist claiming on social media "Co-Creator of Iron Man" is not his opinion.  He is publishing what appears to be a fact as a bio line.  It's not right. 

I wouldn't care at all if Bob Layton went around town claiming he was the best Iron Man artist who brought the title back from the brink of cancellation.  Maybe it's true.  Maybe not.  I wasn't there.  

I just know he had NOTHING to do with creating Iron Man.  The longer he says it the more people will believe it over time.  It tarnishes and erases the true history that I respect.  It's wrong.  

NO ONE is going to believe that nonsense because all they have to do is look it up on the internet.

Who created Iron Man?

2 hours ago, kav said:

lol

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing that he typed the nonsense he did and then watching you explain something as basic as the definition of an opinion and then watching him back peddle.