• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

You're right. I should have said "millions" of dollars. :)

That's fine with me. A simple correction back to the truth would suffice. 

And I'm sure it'll happen or he'll be made to look the fool.

Edited by Logan510

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

And I'm sure it'll happen or he'll me made to look the fool.

And it's not going to happen unless people call him on it! 

I understand people's problems with "harassing" the guy, but wouldn't it be feasible to write him and ask him what's up? 

What about the inker, letterer and colorist of first appearance of Iron Man-AREN'T THEY CO CREATORS???  WTF  

#INKERSLETTERERSANDCOLORISTSARECREATORSTOOWTF

I think Layton views Iron Man as like a car thats constantly being built-since he installed the air freshener, that makes him one of the 'creators'.  This means that anyone who has worked on any book, is a 'co-creator'.  Which means we now need another word for the people that first came up with a character.  Thats what happens when you redefine words-you then need another word for the thing you originally meant.

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

harassing someone online because of butthurt is a bit silly but it seems that what we do here

harass people, follow them, troll them etc

This is what I posted on his Instagram and was promptly blocked.  Is this harassing him?  Not even close to it.  Glad I took a picture of it before he deleted it.  

Layton Message.PNG

8 minutes ago, Mark 1 said:

This is what I posted on his Instagram and was promptly blocked.  Is this harassing him?  Not even close to it.  Glad I took a picture of it before he deleted it.  

Layton Message.PNG

Screenshot 2019-01-01 at 12.29.08 PM.png

21 minutes ago, kav said:

Screenshot 2019-01-01 at 12.29.08 PM.png

Yes Kav, I know I didn't include Don Heck or Stan Goldberg for completion sake.  I had forgotten about them at the time I posted it to Layton.  (shrug)

I'm just saying I didn't harass him or deserve to be blocked for what I wrote to him on one of his pictures.  That's really the point that we all should care about as comic fans.  The guy is lying, and deleted anyone who calls him out on it instead of changing the ridiculous claim.  

Edited by Mark 1

1 hour ago, kav said:

I think Layton views Iron Man as like a car thats constantly being built-since he installed the air freshener, that makes him one of the 'creators'.  This means that anyone who has worked on any book, is a 'co-creator'.  Which means we now need another word for the people that first came up with a character.  Thats what happens when you redefine words-you then need another word for the thing you originally meant.

As I said before, creation is funny. Todd McFarlane calls himself a co creator of Venom, but aside from designing a costume that was just the black Spider-Man suit on steroids what did he really "create"?

Rob Liefeld calls himself the creator of Deadpool, but when he was using the character he was a second rater at best. It wasn't until Joe Kelly's take on the character that he became "Deadpool".

Layton could list himself as a contributor to the modern Iron Man mythos, as a lot of the stuff he worked on and co-plotted is being used in the movies. He did not have a hand in the original creation of the character and I honestly doubt he thinks he did, not unless he thinks he was working at Marvel when he was 11 years old. This feels more like self promotion and hype as opposed to some dastardly plot to fool an entire generation into thinking he created the character.

1 hour ago, kav said:

What about the inker, letterer and colorist of first appearance of Iron Man-AREN'T THEY CO CREATORS???  WTF  

#INKERSLETTERERSANDCOLORISTSARECREATORSTOOWTF

They are not, they are contributors. Bob Layton can take some credit for the storylines he worked on because he was co-plotting a lot of the stories, so he wasn't just the "tracer".

2 hours ago, Logan510 said:

as a lot of the stuff he worked on and co-plotted is being used in the movies

The first film was primarily an update of the SA origin and Denny O’Neil’s Obadiah Stane, the third primarily Ellis and Granov’s Extremis storyline.

He’s far from the only significant architect involved there. A pity he can’t be just as grounded about it as the others.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Boom.

I'll take 6-0 and 6 MVP's over 3-6 any day of the week.

BINGO