• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, bb8 said:

He has a legitimate argument.

As much as I loved Jordan... I have to agree and I don't even watch basketball in the way that I used to anymore. 

Edited by Buzzetta

12 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

harassing someone online because of butthurt is a bit silly but it seems that what we do here

harass people, follow them, troll them etc

I dunno... It is something that I would ask him at a show but I say it with a shrug. I like a good story and wanna hear from him how he created Iron Man. 

If my neighbor walked around tomorrow and started saying that he created Iron Man putting it on his social media profile, I would ask him the same thing.  In either case I have to go to work tomorrow so my life doesn't change but I would still ask. 

I think in this society we have lost sight on what the difference is between harassment and actual trolling versus calling someone out on their nonsense or in this case their b.s. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

As much as I loved Jordan... I have to agree and I don't even watch basketball in the way that I used to anymore. 

I’m still waiting to hear the legitimate argument, from anyone really.

6 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Someone in the sales forum should be mighty upset right now.  After I said in another thread that I don't look in the sales threads anymore I figured I would give it a try.  I was just about to quote and :takeit: when I got the notification that you quoted me.  Now I figure I don't need it and will simply head to bed.  You saved me a few hundred. 

Edited by Buzzetta

8 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

And of course coming back to your safe space to giggle with your pals and wear it like a badge of honor. It’s noble work.

I don't know if this is directed toward me but if it is, it is a very fair question / statement. 

I never pretended to be noble in my inquiry concerning his claim. As I stated before, no matter who created Iron Man, the sun will still rise and I still have to go to work in five hours.  My concern is simply one of questioning the claim.  If I feel a statement is B.S. why not call someone out on it?  If we are giggling at it, then (at least to me) we are giggling at something of his own design.  There is a difference between that and say making fun of someone who did something stemming from a disability or condition or something of that sort.   It also gives you the right to call me out on my own B.S. You may have a very valid claim. 

Do I shut up and mind my business?  Maybe I should.  I'm not claiming any moral high ground here.  Of my personal feelings in it, I don't feel I have to and not out of some self righteous crusade.  As I stated, I want to know for my own interest.  I talk about it here because this is a discussion place for these things.  I discuss this in the same way that my friends and I stare at and laugh about the idiocy we see on the Long Island Railroad when we commute in the morning.  I get involved in things at my own discretion and face those consequences as they come and perhaps learn from them in some cases or tighten my resolve in others. Right now I am looking at Layton the same way I would anyone on the street, that here is some guy making outrageous claims that make no sense as to them being true. What makes him think this and why does he feel it's okay for him to say?

I guess it is in the same way you might be calling me out on what you perceive to be my B.S.

I will say one thing for myself though, as I said this is not an internet big set if you know what I mean.  I would ask him what basis he makes that claim right to his face, not in a confrontational "let's have a fistfight type of way' but one along the lines of, 'you said this. Why? I am curious as to what you base that claim on." 

Going to bed now... might go back and buy that book. Damn you. 

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I don't know if this is directed toward me but if it is, it is a very fair question / statement. 

I never pretended to be noble in my inquiry concerning his claim. As I stated before, no matter who created Iron Man, the sun will still rise and I still have to go to work in five hours.  My concern is simply one of questioning the claim.  If I feel a statement is B.S. why not call someone out on it?  If we are giggling at it, then (at least to me) we are giggling at something of his own design.  There is a difference between that and say making fun of someone who did something stemming from a disability or condition or something of that sort.   It also gives you the right to call me out on my own B.S. You may have a very valid claim. 

Do I shut up and mind my business?  Maybe I should.  I'm not claiming any moral high ground here.  Of my personal feelings in it, I don't feel I have to and not out of some self righteous crusade.  As I stated, I want to know for my own interest.  I talk about it here because this is a discussion place for these things.  I discuss this in the same way that my friends and I stare at and laugh about the idiocy we see on the Long Island Railroad when we commute in the morning.  I get involved in things at my own discretion and face those consequences as they come and perhaps learn from them in some cases or tighten my resolve in others. Right now I am looking at Layton the same way I would anyone on the street, that here is some guy making outrageous claims that make no sense as to them being true. What makes him think this and why does he feel it's okay for him to say?

I guess it is in the same way you might be calling me out on what you perceive to be my B.S.

I will say one thing for myself though, as I said this is not an internet big set if you know what I mean.  I would ask him what basis he makes that claim right to his face, not in a confrontational "let's have a fistfight type of way' but one along the lines of, 'you said this. Why? I am curious as to what you base that claim on." 

There's nothing wrong with that. That would be the proper way to do it. And nothing wrong with just asking him on Twitter either. It's there for interaction.

But is the grace he's being given toward trolling, a true human courtesy, or is he being defended because he's someone's long cherished comic book memory?

The selective trolling on these boards is amazing. Some long time scam artists are defended and treated as noble spokesman for the history of the hobby - others are attacked at every opportunity. 

I got into it with Steranko on his Twitter a few years ago and rather than continue it, I just stopped following him. In a sense I put him on ignore. I still think he's a legend in the industry or whatever, just as a human being I think he's full of crap. So why waste my time following him around and aggravating him? It seems silly to me. There's some who find it beyond comprehension that I'd ever QUESTION the great Steranko. He's just a dude like anyone else. He can handle a question. You did nothing wrong. 

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I would never presume to tell a grown azz man how he should act, that's a fools errand IMHO. But I will comment on what I see as silly behavior if the mood strikes (shrug)

i have always liked laytons cover work. i think he is a nice guy and have never had nothing but good conversation with him. when i think of iron man layton is one of the first names i think of. is he co-creator? of course we know he wasnt. he is responsible for a look that i think of when i think of the character. i have never experienced an ego issue with layton when i have been around him. watched him on multiple occasions sketch iron man on a backing board for young children and hand it to them without asking for a dime when most artist now want a fee to say hello to you.    

Edited by littlebill

On 12/30/2018 at 4:25 PM, kav said:

Getting ticked cause he didnt get credit for the armor is goofy.  Should every creator have been credited for every aspect of every Marvel movie?  I created Pepper Potts well I created Iron Man being an alcoholic yes I created his tracking beacon-

While Layton's claims are ridiculous, it probably IS worth noting each of these additions to these popular characters, as more and more of them are going to be falling into public domain. Mickey Mouse is coming up in just a few short years, but it will specifically be his Steamboat Willie appearance, as a black and white character. If you wanted to knock off Mickey with white gloves, or in color, you'll have to wait a few more years. So while these little changes and distinctions seem silly, I think they're only going to become more important in the coming decades in regard to copyright protections, and the "creators" of those individual pieces are going to want their piece as well, I'd imagine.

11 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

As much as I loved Jordan... I have to agree and I don't even watch basketball in the way that I used to anymore

Maybe you should pick it back up again if you want to make those sort of insinuations? 

Lebron is lucky to make the top five of all-time. 

Perhaps we should start a thread over in the water cooler? :)

10 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Statistically there's no denying he has an argument to make. From a pure basketball perspective, as in who would you pick first of any player in any era he also has a case to make. Can guard any position. Can play any position. Makes his teammates better. Has performed and delivered at the highest level on multiple occasions. Has been nearly indestructible from an injury perspective. Does any of this mean he's better than MJ? I don't know. That's subjective. I'm not sure either is better than Kareem over his entire career. I think they're all great players. Who's the best? Who's the 1A and 1B? What other players have an argument? I'm not sure I'm versed enough to make an argument. But by any metric, Lebron James's career has been pretty epic.

5 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Statistically there's no denying he has an argument to make. From a pure basketball perspective, as in who would you pick first of any player in any era he also has a case to make. Can guard any position. Can play any position. Makes his teammates better. Has performed and delivered at the highest level on multiple occasions. Has been nearly indestructible from an injury perspective. Does any of this mean he's better than MJ? I don't know. That's subjective. I'm not sure either is better than Kareem over his entire career. I think they're all great players. Who's the best? Who's the 1A and 1B? What other players have an argument? I'm not sure I'm versed enough to make an argument. But by any metric, Lebron James's career has been pretty epic.

What the heck did I just read..?

12 minutes ago, bb8 said:

It's hard to make a fair comparison when you consider how much the game has changed thanks to the way defense is played and called in the modern NBA. Lebron has great stats because he doesn't have to deal with robust defense. And flopping around back in the 80s wouldn't have gotten you very far. lol 

But like I said earlier, we should take this argument to the cooler. 

This thread is about how Bob Layton is misleading the public about his role in the creation of Iron Man. 

46 minutes ago, bb8 said:

What about the metric of 6-0 and 6 finals  MVP’s and never letting it get to a 7th game vs 3-6?

Winning has to mean something.