• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Layton taking Co-Creator Credit for Iron Man? Gone too far in my opinion.
3 3

476 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

Sure, if you're talking about your typical McTaekwando center down the road next to Kroger. 

But a black belt in authentic Jiu-jitsu takes years and serious accomplishments. It's no joke. 

I hear what you are saying.  A real school-which is very difficult to find-delivers real training.  But in those schools they dont really need belts-just training.  If youre in a school, training and sparring, you know how good a fighter someone is, by their fighting.  Thats how it works in boxing-they dont give out belts.   I would claim that 99.93% of black belts are completely incompetent at actual fighting.

Edited by kav

7 minutes ago, newshane said:

A co-worker was bragging just the other day about her "badass" 13 year-old daughter who got her black belt. :eyeroll:

The sad part, as Socrates would say, is its better to not know something and know you dont know, than to think you know something, and do not.  I've known of black belts that got in fights and be utterly surprised when they get the spit knocked out of them by just some dude.  They would have been better off not trying all the fake stuff they learned, and just fought, like the other guy is doing.  

1 hour ago, Dan82 said:

Ok it's not called WWF anymore and it is not and never was a sport. But you know, Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Legion of Doom etc etc. The acronym fit so I used it.

The WWF protects animals not hunts them. Hunters are simple as that!

Golf is not boring to play or watch, and neither is snooker or darts. I'd watch any one of those over Ice Hockey, Basketball, Baseball or American Football.

You yanks have a fascination for dressing up in padded outfits with shoulder pads and helmets and attacking each other. Try Rugby!

Cricket I think we can all agree is terrible lol 

The Legion of Doom was that Flyers line from the 90's that got castrated by Detroit in the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals. Lindros, LeClair, and Brind'Amour I think.

You're high as a kite if you enjoy watching golf. I put that or baseball on when I need some encouragement for a good snooze.

41 minutes ago, kav said:

The sad part, as Socrates would say, is its better to not know something and know you dont know, than to think you know something, and do not.  I've known of black belts that got in fights and be utterly surprised when they get the spit knocked out of them by just some dude.  They would have been better off not trying all the fake stuff they learned, and just fought, like the other guy is doing.  

Sometimes the stuff you learn there can come in handy though....

I won't hate on these Karate kicks. 

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

Sometimes the stuff you learn there can come in handy though....

I won't hate on these Karate kicks. 

Yep thats what can happen if you are full frontal stance with opponent.  I'm a big fan of feints.

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

Those were both pretty basic Karate kicks, taught in low-level Tae Kwon Do classes. 

You have to be trained-by sparring-to hit a moving object with a technique while other guy trying to block/evade and hit back tho.  Doing front kick forms in McDojo wont cut it.

Edited by kav

11 minutes ago, kav said:

You have to be trained-by sparring-to hit a moving object with a technique while other guy trying to block/evade and hit back tho.  Doing front kick forms in McDojo wont cut it.

They spar at McDojos...just not full-contact. 

1 minute ago, newshane said:

They spar at McDojos...just not full-contact. 

Not true.  I've seen many McDojos that do not spar, ever, or even have a heavy bag.  Forms only.  When they do spar, its pretty weak.  One McDojo I went to senior instructor actually pulled me aside and said the point of sparring isnt to hit your opponent, but to 'move with them'.  He was tired of getting tagged.  Weak. If I want to 'move with my opponent' yeah I'll take ballroom dancing.  If I get in a fight I dont feel like telling attacker ok remember-the object here isnt to hit each other- That was my last day at that McDojo.  

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Not true.  I've seen many McDojos that do not spar, ever, or even have a heavy bag.  Forms only.  When they do spar, its pretty weak.  One McDojo I went to senior instructor actually pulled me aside and said the point of sparring isnt to hit your opponent, but to 'move with them'.  He was tired of getting tagged.  Weak. If I want to 'move with my opponent' yeah I'll take ballroom dancing.  If I get in a fight I dont feel like telling attacker ok remember-the object here isnt to hit each other- That was my last day at that McDojo.  

Wow! I will say that's I haven't stepped in a McDojo in 30 years. Weak. 

Wow! I will say that's I haven't stepped in a McDojo in 30 years. Weak. 

It would blow your mind.  I watched one purple belt sparring test and I thought I was being pranked.  goofy AF.  Slap fights in Jr High superior-no joke.  

1 hour ago, kav said:

I hear what you are saying.  A real school-which is very difficult to find-delivers real training.  But in those schools they dont really need belts-just training.  If youre in a school, training and sparring, you know how good a fighter someone is, by their fighting.  Thats how it works in boxing-they dont give out belts.   I would claim that 99.93% of black belts are completely incompetent at actual fighting.

Yup. I once beat a black belt in a fight, and I'm about as tough as Aunt May. It's just a lot of bs.

3 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

Yup. I once beat a black belt in a fight, and I'm about as tough as Aunt May. It's just a lot of bs.

Thank you.  As a dedicated fighter who worked my *spoon* off it enrages me when these jokes do the stolen honor thing.  George Dillman claims he can do 'no touch knockout'.  Reporter lady asked him to demonstrate on her.  It didnt work and he slapped her!!!  This guy IMO is dishonoring martial arts.

1 hour ago, kav said:

No one gets a black belt from Bob Layton-not even Chuck Norris.

I read somewhere that Norris, who is, IIRC, a ninth Dan black belt in several martial arts styles, was Layton’s sensei. As can be the case, the student surpasses the teacher, and Layton ended up with several 12th Dan belts and is recognised as being America’s hardest man.

This is also why he ended up as spokesperson for the Extra Musk version of Sex Panther aftershave.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

I read somewhere that Norris, who is, IIRC, a ninth Dan black belt in several martial arts styles, was Layton’s sensei. As can be the case, the student surpasses the teacher, and Layton ended up with several 12th Dan belts and is recognised as being America’s hardest man.

This is also why he ended up as spokesperson for the Extra Musk version of Sex Panther aftershave.

Its a secret but he also reached the impossible "13th Dan"

7 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Norris started out in Tang Soo Do. 

My dad asked to spar with his Tang Soo Do master and he said, "I only fight life or death." :eyeroll:

Edited by newshane

Wrestle in high school....box a little bit...learn enough Jiu-Jistu (triangle, rear naked, etc.) to get yourself out of a jamb and you'll be able to beat up 99% of the bros down at your local watering hole. 

Don't pay your local McDojo for the false confidence given by a black belt that only takes you three years to earn. 

To bring this thread back to its original intention, I will write Bob Layton tonight and post the results (if any) tomorrow. (thumbsu

Wrestle in high school....box a little bit...learn enough Jiu-Jistu (triangle, rear naked, etc.) to get yourself out of a jamb and you'll be able to beat up 99% of the bros down at your local watering hole. 

Don't pay your local McDojo for the false confidence given by a black belt that only takes you three years to earn. 

Bingo.

also, side note-90% of the time if someone challenges you to 'step outside' and you immediately go outside, they will vanish.  Also if you jump up and crescent kick a parking sign and spin it around that seems to dampen their spirits.