• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Most Significant Silver Age Annual?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Marvel Tales 1 is the most significant Silver Age Annual imho if it introduced a large number of fans to these characters because they missed the first issues and origins that hit the newsstands during the years preceding 1964. 

Superman Annual #1 is special as a classic early trendsetter, and was a peek into the long ago early days of Superman. I remember the back covers showed Golden Age covers and frankly, I had never even considered the idea until seeing them that the current issue numbers could be tracked back to an actual #1 issue!.   Spider-Man Annual second for the amazing story and full page Ditko fight pages.  The first 2 FF annuals for important stories that took advantage of the space.  And both Marvel Tales #1 and Secret Origins for being essential origin reprints of the heroes first appearances.  Back then it was the ONLY way to reread these stories without tracking down a back issue... which was difficult to say the least back then. 

On 1/3/2019 at 3:08 AM, makeminemego said:

ASM Annual 1.  For the Ditko splash pages if nothing else......

While I don't think ASM is the most significant annual, it's still my favorite for this reason.   Those battle splashes are some of Ditko's finest work.   

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5, Where the saga of Peter Parker’s parents was told was significant.  I think the most significant has to be Fantastic Four Annual #2, where Dr. Doom’s origin and the outstanding, “The Final Victory Of Doctor Doom” story appeared.

One thing about the Silver Age Annuals with original material is that any of them could be adapted into movies easily if the desire was there.  Live action versions are technically possible.  What I’d really like to see are “perfect” animated versions of the great silver-age storylines.  What if Bruce Timm could just be bankrolled to adapt and advance the early Marvel characters and stories?  I kind of liked the way John Byrne did it in “Chapter One.”  

I really hate the modern retcons.  I had to completely give up all hope when it was “revealed” Gwen Stacy was pregnant with Norman Osborn’s baby.  Anyway, why don’t they ever adapt the really good stories?  Sigh.

Edited by David Stager
Typo