• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Most Significant Silver Age Annual?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

What's the most significant Silver Age Annual in terms of the impact its had on the history of the comic book?

Superman Annual 1?

Avengers Annual 1?

Any of the Fantastic Four Annuals?

Any of the Spidey Annuals?

Secret Origins 1?

Marvel Tales 1?

Strange Tales 1 or 2?

Flash?

-john

In terms of significance, the first Superman Annual in 1960 has to receive strong consideration simply because a 25 cent giant issue was a new concept. As cool and enjoyable as they were, however, there was no original content in the DC annuals or 80 Pg. Giants.

The early Marvel annuals had some terrific original stories which make them more important overall.

3 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

In terms of significance, the first Superman Annual in 1960 has to receive strong consideration simply because a 25 cent giant issue was a new concept. As cool and enjoyable as they were, however, there was no original content in the DC annuals or 80 Pg. Giants.

The early Marvel annuals had some terrific original stories which make them more important overall.

Actually, EC published 25 cent annuals during the early '50s.

It’s tough.

I’m going to say Fantastic Four annual 1, because it was the first to really take full advantage of the extra space and make those early annuals special events. The Spider-Man appearance is among his first ten, the special feature pages were definitive, but above all that, Kirby and Lee went all-out on the magnificent Sub-Mariner story. FF annual 1 set the tone for the rest of the silver age. 

On 12/31/2018 at 6:23 AM, Straw-Man said:

the 'big' millie ann. 1 is pretty darn cool.

It is tough to find complete and in decent shape. I snagged a CGC 6.0 last summer in a collection - the owner had 16 copies, but only 3 were complete (a CGC 5.0 and reader copy). He bought every copy he came across during his collecting phase from the late 80s through 2004ish.

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 1 has the first Siniser Six. I'm not impressively knowledgable on the SA annuals, but that one should probably be mentioned. Most of the DC annuals were reprints, correct? Not sure any of those would qualify as 'most' significant.

On 12/30/2018 at 5:03 PM, KirbyJack said:

I’m going to say Fantastic Four annual 1, because it was the first to really take full advantage of the extra space and make those early annuals special events.

I prefer FF Annual #2 with Dr Doom origin and time line twist story with Rama-Tut that confounded me as a child reading the reprint in FF King Size. Also, :nyah: it had more full page Kirby pin ups of villians that was a continuation of the excellent Kirby pin ups in FF Annual #1!