• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal confirm identification bs?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

So, a buyer tried to pay for one of my ebay auctions and was denied due to my paypal acct being "suspended" until I confirm my identity.  Now they (paypal) want a pic of my license and a pic of my ss card.  I have used the chat feature and the phone support through the paypal site.  They also say it will take up to 7 days to confirm ??!!?  Does that seem right?  I am a small fish and have no issues with ebay or paypal, and this makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Edited by Spidey 62

1 minute ago, Spidey 62 said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That sounds like a scam.

I agree, but I am going through the paypal site.  I am on hold right now for a next level supervisor.  

maybe you don't a have a credit card on file?

I agree, but I am going through the paypal site.  I am on hold right now for a next level supervisor.  

could just be that your account was compromised, good to have the precaution rather than the alternative...

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

could just be that your account was compromised, good to have the precaution rather than the alternative...

I am not aware of any erroneous account activity, but wouldn't that have come up instead of a "send us pics of your id's" thing?  Once they have my lic and ss...they own me, financially

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't think they would ever ask for a SS number, let alone your Driver's license. I would NOT send any pics. This sounds off.

Just saw Kav's comment about taxes. Maybe you just crossed some kind of threshold. Maybe you don't want this transaction to go through.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I believe it is so they can send tax forms and notify IRS if you sell a certain amount.  I could be wrong.

Ok, absolutely possible, but wouldn't people here have at least heard about that?  Most of you sell way more than me, and I figure you guys would have been aware of this.

2 minutes ago, marmat said:

It happened to me a few years ago. It was because the money flow reached a limit. Over the limit paypal asked me to confirm my identity. 

It was legit, confirmed by a paypal supervisor

That makes me feel a little better...and I have been selling more in the last couple of years.  Hopefully the supervisor will say this also.

Ok, absolutely possible, but wouldn't people here have at least heard about that?  Most of you sell way more than me, and I figure you guys would have been aware of this.

If you google papyal want my ss card you will see it comes up a lot.

3 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i lost my one and only SS card over 35 yrs ago..... never had one since.....

What?

3 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Hopefully you are not being scammed. I never heard of PP asking for DL and SS#.  PP never asked my SS#. What a bizzarre!

I have been through this BS with paypal before....they wanted a copy of my drivers license...copy of bill confirming my address...and they wanted to know my political affiliation...all because I supported a motorcycle racer from Northern Ireland...this was all through Paypal messaging on their web site so I knew it wasn't a scam....I no longer use/deal with Paypal for anything...they can kiss my 🍑