• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal confirm identification bs?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Grendel72 said:

It's part of their aml (anti money laundering ) measures. Govt agencies may query them on a person's ID when looking into suspicious transactions. It's legit. Just make sure all communication is done with PayPal ( as in official email )

Yup, thanks.

My wife received an e-mail message from PayPal just last week stating that there an attempt to withdrawal $400 from her account. The attempt originated from somewhere in China.

Her account was still accessible, but she couldn't send, withdrawal, or receive money.

To clear it up online, she was directed to provide government-issued photo identification like a passport or driver's license. She called PayPal to cancel her account because that was not going to happen.

However, when she spoke to a PayPal agent, she was just prompted to reset her password and they unlocked her account. So everything's good... for now.

1 hour ago, marmat said:

It happened to me a few years ago. It was because the money flow reached a limit. Over the limit paypal asked me to confirm my identity. 

It was legit, confirmed by a paypal supervisor

same thing happened to me as well.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

could just be that your account was compromised, good to have the precaution rather than the alternative...

This is likely the case.  Unfortunately disclosure of a data breach is optionabe so they take other measures such as this.  You would be surprised by the number of attacks PayPal takes on in any given day.  It won’t take 7 days.  You’ll probably be verified in a couple of hours.

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

This is likely the case.  Unfortunately disclosure of a data breach is optionabe so they take other measures such as this.  You would be surprised by the number of attacks PayPal takes on in any given day.  It won’t take 7 days.  You’ll probably be verified in a couple of hours.

Hopefully by tuesday, although, I always expect something to go wrong.

6 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I am currently having this issue and it is affecting my Ebay account in a big way since my PayPal account is linked to my Ebay account to receive payments... no way in hell will I send my driver's license photo ID, SS, or anything of that nature.

just remember plenty of people have done it and I have not in all my searches come across a story where this negatively affected anyone.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:00 PM, Spidey 62 said:

Ok, absolutely possible, but wouldn't people here have at least heard about that?  Most of you sell way more than me, and I figure you guys would have been aware of this.

I didn't remember anything about getting paid, but I do remember some issue about how much you could withdraw each month without that verification

9 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I am currently having this issue and it is affecting my Ebay account in a big way since my PayPal account is linked to my Ebay account to receive payments... no way in hell will I send my driver's license photo ID, SS, or anything of that nature.

That is where I was.  It didn't feel right to me.  But after having several people here say that they had the same issue, I went ahead and did it.  The next day my account was active as well as my ebay account was also back to normal.