• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variants of Batman 414
1 1

55 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Shown here are nine variations of Batman 414 (up until the recent explosion of Batman New 52 and Batman Rebirth variants, Batman 414 had more variants than any other Batman comic book that I can think of).  

The variants shown from right to left are 1st printing, newsstand, Canadian, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th printings.

206296635_variantsofBatman414.thumb.jpg.a5d35dea42ce04c1860aba50468ddd25.jpg

Killing Joke. 17(?) printings that I can think of.

Killing Joke has more printings, but it's also a stand-alone issue. Are there any other in-run issues that can come close to 414? That's pretty amazing, @Cpt Kirk!

3 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Very interesting!

Why so many printings? What made this issue so special?

I'm wondering if it's because this issue was out around the same time that so many different multi-packs were being distributed, so maybe it was easy to just keep going back to press on it? I have zero actual information, just speculating. 

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Maybe this will keep people from being confused like me. :grin:

batman414.png

thanks guys.  After I created the posting, I was afraid that "right to left" might be confusing.   Your labeling above is correct!

19 minutes ago, Bird said:

@Cpt Kirk is there a way to distinguish 5th 6th & 7th printings from the cover or must you look at the indicia?

Yes, you must look at the indicia.  But it is a more complicated than just that.   The printings were not all labeled correctly in the indicia, so you also have to look at the date that the ads originally appeared in the first printings of DC Comics in order to actually figure out the order of the release of these comic books.   You can see that they finally figured out the correct order of printings when they made the 6th and 7th printings.   

Here's what the what appears in the UPC box, indicia, and back cover ads for each of the comic books shown above. 

Printing order:                    UPC box on cover:                              Indicia and back cover ads:

2nd printing Barcode  multipack reprint edition, copy right 1989 DC Comics, back cover = WWF
3rd printing DC Bullet sticker over barcode third printing c 1989 DC comics inc, back cover = WWF
4th printing Bat Symbol in white box Second Printing, DC Multi-pack, back cover = TSR AD&D
5th printing DC Comics Aren't Just for kids third printing, Inside BC = WWF, back cover = NEC
6th printing DC Comics Aren't Just For Kids 6th Printing, back cover = TSR Unicorn
7th printing DC Comics Aren't Just For Kids 7th Printing, back cover = TSR Unicorn

For whatever it is worth, I have the original 3-packs that all these comic books originally came from.  I had to open those packs to determine what printings were contained in each pack.

9 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Which would be considered the more scarce?

None of these variants are super hard to find.  It just takes some time and persistence.   The 1st printing direct and 1st printing newsstand issues are really easy to find (very common).   

12 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Killing Joke has more printings, but it's also a stand-alone issue. Are there any other in-run issues that can come close to 414? That's pretty amazing, @Cpt Kirk!

I love that question.   I am a completionist on only 5 titles, but I have found just about every single variant of every single issue of those 5 titles (namely, Batman, Detective, Superman, Action Comics and Justice League of America).  Those variations include direct sales, newsstand, additional printings, variant covers, Mark Jewelers variants, etc.   I've stayed away from foreign variants.   Of those titles, following are some of the issues with the most amount of variations:

Adventures of Superman 443:  There are 12 known variants with different mall symbols in the UPC box (for a total of 15 variations if you also count direct, newsstand and Canadian variants).

Batman 415 and 416:  If you count direct, newsstand, Canadian, and 2nd thru 6th printings, you have a total of 8 variations (just one less than Batman 414)

Following is a listing of other in-run issues with 4 or more variants (if you count both direct and newsstand editions)

Batman 1
Batman 298
Batman 302
Batman 307
Batman 352
Batman 356
Batman 357
Batman 362
Batman 394
Batman 397-399, 401-403, 409-411, 423
Batman 457
Batman 491, 492, 497
Batman 500
Batman 515, 531, 532
Batman 535, 608, 619, 655, 676, 677, 681, 686, 700

Detective 27
Detective 38
Detective 225, 327, 359
Detective 474
Detective 519
Detective 561
Detective 659, 660
Detective 675, 682, 694, 702, 704
Detective 854, 871

Superman 1
Superman  322
Superman 379
Superman 409
Superman 418

Adv of SM 497, 498
Adv of SM 500, 505
Adv of SM 539

Action 1
Action 252 
Action 481
Action 484
Action 495
Action 526
Action 683, 684, 685
Action 695, 700, 726
Action 844, 858, 890, 900

Justice League 217
Justice League 249

Furthermore, many New 52 and Rebirth issues in the titles above contain more than 4 variants.  In the case of Batman (Rebirth) #50, there were more than 100 variants (yikes!) 

11 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Very interesting!

Why so many printings? What made this issue so special?

I don't know why DC chose Batman 414 to make so many printings.   But what I do know is this:

Most of the additional printings that occurred in Batman comic books from issue #397 through #497 came from 2-packs, 3-packs and, toward the end, 20-packs.   Most of these packs were produced during the crescendo of popularity, speculation, and hoarding that occurred during the early to mid-1990s.   Packs containing reprints were sold in stores like Kay-Bee Toys, Toys-R-Us, and Costco to meet that demand.   I also remember an explosion in the number of comic book shops at the time.  Batman 414 just happened to come out during this hey-day and was included in several different packs.  

13 hours ago, Bird said:

@Cpt Kirk is there a way to distinguish 5th 6th & 7th printings from the cover or must you look at the indicia?

This is all you need in your life: more multi-printing Copper Age books! Your house will be filled with these variants, leaving no room for furniture!