• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variants of Batman 414
1 1

55 posts in this topic

Paging @Cpt Kirk!

So tonight I was sorting through some of my old boxes, and I ran across three copies of Bats 412, with no printing info in the indicia, but clearly different UPC boxes and back cover ads. Any thoughts on the printings for this issue? I reference your guide to 414 all the time!

IMG_7740.JPG

IMG_7741.JPG

IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Paging @Cpt Kirk!

So tonight I was sorting through some of my old boxes, and I ran across three copies of Bats 412, with no printing info in the indicia, but clearly different UPC boxes and back cover ads. Any thoughts on the printings for this issue? I reference your guide to 414 all the time!

Thanks for posting.  For Batman 412 and 425, you have shown the direct sales and newsstand issues (which are identical except that the newsstand copies have the bar code in the UPC box).   And you have also shown the 2nd printings of Batman 412 and 425.   The Batman 412 2nd printing (which originally came from a 3-pack) has the bat symbol in the UPC box.   And the Batman 425 2nd printing (which also came from a 3-pack) has the "DC Comics Aren't Just for Kids" in the UPC box.  There are multiple printings that occurred in the Batman series between issues 397 and 480.   I have found the original 3-packs for all of those issues except the set that was Batman 445/446/447 (if anyone has seen that 3-pack, I would love to hear about it).  If you want to send me a PM, I can send you a listing of all known printings from that time frame.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:42 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Thanks for posting.  For Batman 412 and 425, you have shown the direct sales and newsstand issues (which are identical except that the newsstand copies have the bar code in the UPC box).   And you have also shown the 2nd printings of Batman 412 and 425.   The Batman 412 2nd printing (which originally came from a 3-pack) has the bat symbol in the UPC box.   And the Batman 425 2nd printing (which also came from a 3-pack) has the "DC Comics Aren't Just for Kids" in the UPC box.  There are multiple printings that occurred in the Batman series between issues 397 and 480.   I have found the original 3-packs for all of those issues except the set that was Batman 445/446/447 (if anyone has seen that 3-pack, I would love to hear about it).  If you want to send me a PM, I can send you a listing of all known printings from that time frame.

You're a champion, Captain, much appreciated!

Edited by F For Fake

Realistically -- is there a value difference in these? I mean, I would sell a regular #414 for say... $2 or $3 at a con. What would you price a copy with the DC bullet sticker? $5? Does it even matter?\

I'm not trying to pull every penny out of my customers, but I'm a capitalist, dammit!

I haven't noticed any sort of price difference between the printings, anecdotally. They're fun to collect but I don't think the various printings are on the radar of most collectors, at least not yet. The good @Cpt Kirk would know more, I'm sure, as he's the sort of collector looking for every printing. I'm much more casual about it, but have never paid a premium for any of them. Since so many went out in 3-packs, and it was a mid-80's DC, I imagine print runs were pretty decent.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I haven't noticed any sort of price difference between the printings, anecdotally. They're fun to collect but I don't think the various printings are on the radar of most collectors, at least not yet. The good @Cpt Kirk would know more, I'm sure, as he's the sort of collector looking for every printing. I'm much more casual about it, but have never paid a premium for any of them. Since so many went out in 3-packs, and it was a mid-80's DC, I imagine print runs were pretty decent.

I concur.... the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc printing of DC Comics that were cover dated from July 1986 through June 1992 can usually be found without paying a premium if you don't mind waiting a couple years to get them (but some are hard to find, especially since many of them have identical front covers).   Some examples of ones that were hard for me to find were as follows:   Action 654 & 660, Adv of Superman 463 & 467, Justice League America 36, 37, & 45, Superman (2nd series) 44, 51 & 52.   I thought it was relatively easy to find all the Batman ones after a couple years of looking (maybe they made more due to the popularity of Batman... but that's just a guess).

p.s.  I recall when these came out that most of us collectors were adamant that we had to have first printings; and additional printings were something to avoid because they would not be worth as much.   Funny how these things turn out sometimes.   Now some of those rarer 2nd and 3rd printings from the Funeral for a Friend series (i.e., the ones with the DC Universe symbol in the UPC box) are worth more than a hundred bucks in nice condition, whereas the first printings would be hard to sell at their original cover price.    And the newsstand version of the second printing of Batman 457 sells for more than one thousand dollars if in really nice condition.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

52 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

And the newsstand version of the second printing of Batman 457 sells for more than one thousand dollars if in really nice condition

but it has to be the error version of the newsstand 2nd print to be worth that much, right? Or am I confused about that?

16 hours ago, Bird said:

but it has to be the error version of the newsstand 2nd print to be worth that much, right? Or am I confused about that?

BM 457 error newsstand is hard to find (it is the one with 000 in the indicia and bar code on front cover), but the really rare and expensive one is the 457 2nd print newsstand.    You can google "Batman 457 2nd print newsstand" to get the whole story and see some prices.   BM 457 error newsstand can usually be found after a long search... and I think $20 to $50 is a reasonable price for that one.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 8/6/2019 at 6:37 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I concur.... the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc printing of DC Comics that were cover dated from July 1986 through June 1992 can usually be found without paying a premium if you don't mind waiting a couple years to get them (but some are hard to find, especially since many of them have identical front covers).   Some examples of ones that were hard for me to find were as follows:   Action 654 & 660, Adv of Superman 463 & 467, Justice League America 36, 37, & 45, Superman (2nd series) 44, 51 & 52.   I thought it was relatively easy to find all the Batman ones after a couple years of looking (maybe they made more due to the popularity of Batman... but that's just a guess).

p.s.  I recall when these came out that most of us collectors were adamant that we had to have first printings; and additional printings were something to avoid because they would not be worth as much.   Funny how these things turn out sometimes.   Now some of those rarer 2nd and 3rd printings from the Funeral for a Friend series (i.e., the ones with the DC Universe symbol in the UPC box) are worth more than a hundred bucks in nice condition, whereas the first printings would be hard to sell at their original cover price.    And the newsstand version of the second printing of Batman 457 sells for more than one thousand dollars if in really nice condition.

Yes, that is absolutely the case. When I was a kid, "2nd print" was a kiss of death, basically worthless. Now I'm chasing down books I probably gave away 20 years ago!

On 8/7/2019 at 7:25 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

BM 457 error newsstand is hard to find (it is the one with 000 in the indicia and bar code on front cover), but the really rare and expensive one is the 457 2nd print newsstand.    You can google "Batman 457 2nd print newsstand" to get the whole story and see some prices.   BM 457 error newsstand can usually be found after a long search... and I think $20 to $50 is a reasonable price for that one.

I thought that the 2nd print newsstand also had an error version

time to go read page 1 of this thread I guess

I have a 1st print newsstand error, yes