• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goofiest SA DC stories?

48 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kav said:

How about this one-Batman and Superman take the time out of their busy schedule to go after a carny cheat psychic.  They bust him, but that's not enough.  They then set up an outlandish series of events to make him think he can predict the future with horoscopes so they can BUST HIM AGAIN!!  Jesus leave the poor guy alone!

They invested more effort into going after a carny cheat than going after Luthor trying to destroy the entire world.  

335141-18006-125745-1-world-s-finest-comic.jpg

Weird. I just read this one this morning.

I think the most terrible story that comes to mind is the Mopee abomination from Flash 167.

3 minutes ago, evilskip said:

That one holds a special place for me-I never bought WF comics cause I always only had a quarter so would buy superman, action, superboy or jimmy olsen.  In 7th grade I bought a stack of books from a kid for a dollar and this was in it.  It became my favorite book.  All the curt swan WF books were the cream of the DC crop but I never knew.

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

the sad truth of the matter is that some of the best silver age DC's are only on par to some of the worst Marvels...

Not in terms of art or story.  they were just doing different types of stories, but the actual storytelling was far more complex than spider man having to fist fight someone and get medicine for aunt may.  For what they were, they outdid marvel, and this was reflected in their comparative sales figures.  I love Kirby, but Curt Swan could draw rings around him.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Not in terms of art or story.  they were just doing different types of stories, but the actual storytelling was far more complex than spider man having to fist fight someone and get medicine for aunt may.  For what they were, they outdid marvel, and this was reflected in their comparative sales figures.  I love Kirby, but Curt Swan could draw rings around him.

yeah i forgot they outsold Marvel so you are right .....and i still enjoyed reading DC's as a kid as much as anything... especially The Flash .......

If you compare DC vs Marvel artists DC had the cream of the crop.  They paid more.

DC:

Marvel:

Heck, Tuska and Lieber were awful.  DC didnt have main artists that were that bad except 3rd tier Jim Mooney I guess

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, evilskip said:

Ps I thought "Honey" Combs was hot.

1 hour ago, evilskip said:

I think the most terrible story that comes to mind is the Mopee abomination from Flash 167.

Nador from Superman 214 blows him outta the water tho

Superman214-13.jpg

I’m a DC collector. I know thats a minority here on the boards. It’s partly because of the goofy stuff they did back in the 50’s and 60’s. Marvel just didn’t do that stuff. DC Sci Fi and Horror were superior in those times as well imo. The goofiness even went into war comics. I saw this star spangled here on forums last week and had to get it lol. I think its a freakin awesome cover

19D2C0CB-C803-4F79-9828-EACF3601571A.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

DC Sci Fi and Horror were superior in those times as well imo.

Big Time.  And the prices on those DC books have sure spiked over last few years.

33 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

DC Sci Fi and Horror were superior in those times as well imo.

... and war comics; those were really good stories plus Kubert's art captured the essence of the gaunt-but-not-quite-yet-defeated soldier perfectly.

5 minutes ago, Hekla said:

... and war comics; those were really good stories plus Kubert's art captured the essence of the gaunt-but-not-quite-yet-defeated soldier perfectly.

Dont forget Russ Heath.  Marvel couldnt compete in the sci fi arena-it always became a monster story.  DC did a lot of stuff based on science.

21 minutes ago, kav said:

Dont forget Russ Heath.  Marvel couldnt compete in the sci fi arena-it always became a monster story.  DC did a lot of stuff based on science.

Heath was definitely a great artist and excelled at every genre he did, but I felt Kubert captured the war-torn spirit as well as anyone, if not better. For contrast/comparison's sake - Kubert's sci-fi art was meh whereas Health was fantastic.

... and I agree, Marvel's Sci-fi didn't catch up until the Bronze age and even then it was best in the magazine arena (talking off the top of my head without really thinking too hard about it and not talking about cosmic heroes)

Edited by Hekla

2 minutes ago, Hekla said:

Heath was definitely a great artist and excelled at every genre he did, but I felt Kubert captured the war-torn spirit as well as anyone, if not better. For contrast/comparison's sake - Kubert's sci-fi art was meh whereas Health was fantastic.

3aadf0fe6ec32630c7d87a99c13cfe44.jpg

2 hours ago, kav said:

If you compare DC vs Marvel artists DC had the cream of the crop.  They paid more.

DC:

Marvel:

Heck, Tuska and Lieber were awful.  DC didnt have main artists that were that bad except 3rd tier Jim Mooney I guess

to be fair, Infantino was only great on Flash and Mystery in Space and was terrible by the time he got to Marvel and Tuska had a nice but small window of (almost) greatness on Iron Man. Plus Kane did a lot of Marvel too.

lol Kneel Atoms

edit - I guess your list is Silver-age centric, but Tuska still wasn't too bad in the Silver Age.

Edited by Hekla

1 minute ago, Hekla said:

to be fair, Infantino was only great on Flash and Mystery in Space and was terrible by the time he got to Marvel and Tuska had a nice but small window of (almost) greatness on Iron Man. Plus Kane did a lot of Marvel too.

lol Kneel Atoms

right I was speaking only of silver age

What about this goofy story-it turns out Jor El and Lara are not dead-just in suspended animation.  The rocket is kryptonite tho so there's NO WAY to save them so Stupidboy just leaves em there.  Now I can think of a dozen ways to save them including merely getting a robot to haul em out or exposing em to Gold K but not ol Stupidboy:

158-1.jpg