• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIll pressing smudge a date stamp?

15 posts in this topic

I have a comic with a nice clean date stamp on it, but the comic itself could use a quick press to iron out the small finger creases. My question is whether there is a risk of the pressing impacting the date stamp itself. My fear is that it will bleed or smudge on the cover. If this is the case, then I will not press the book and likely keep it in it's raw state. Anyone with experience on this? Much appreciated!

Will pressing smudge a date stamp?  It might.  It depends on the nature of the stamp ink and how much humidity is used in the pressing.  There are unfortunately countless examples of it happening, including to high grade comics from pedigree collections.

Edited by namisgr

19 hours ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

I have a comic with a nice clean date stamp on it, but the comic itself could use a quick press to iron out the small finger creases. My question is whether there is a risk of the pressing impacting the date stamp itself. My fear is that it will bleed or smudge on the cover. If this is the case, then I will not press the book and likely keep it in it's raw state. Anyone with experience on this? Much appreciated!

Yes, date stamps can smear. A pet peave of mine, that totally ruins the comic for me. You need to find a presser who will not simply stick the whole book into the press but instead 'spot' press the areas that need it. I would also not use humidity. 

11 hours ago, namisgr said:

Will pressing smudge a date stamp?  It might.  It depends on the nature of the stamp ink and how much humidity is used in the pressing.  There are unfortunately countless examples of it happening, including to high grade comics from pedigree collections.

Don't you have an early FF with a smudged date stamp? 

Over a 5 year period I sold my entire high grade Silver Age collection, Blowie.

I have scans of other people's books with messed up arrival dates, but never owned one myself, it being too much of a defect for me to ignore.

55 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, but the question was 'is there a risk ?' , to which I would definitely say Yes.  I've seen it happen too many times, even with competent pressers.

Risk is involved in almost every aspect of collecting comics Bob.

You can fold over a corner putting a book into a bag and board. Tape pulls. 

You can drop a book.

Books can be damaged in shipping.

Book's can be damaged while getting pressed/cleaned.

Books can get damaged while at the graders.

Improper storage. Improper temperatures. Too much exposure to UV. 

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Risk is involved in almost every aspect of collecting comics Bob.

You can fold over a corner putting a book into a bag and board. Tape pulls. 

You can drop a book.

Books can be damaged in shipping.

Book's can be damaged while getting pressed/cleaned.

Books can get damaged while at the graders.

Improper storage. Improper temperatures. Too much exposure to UV. 

I've often wondered what happens when a grader, with a book in hand, has to sneeze ?