• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,457 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Omnibuses do not have extra material, correct?

For me, that's both a good and "bad" thing. Good for those who just want the original material. "Bad" if you're looking for a definitive "collector's edition"-type copy with all of the extras.

They can have SOME bonus materials. The DC Omnis in particular usually seem to collect all or most of the extras from previous editions, like the forewards, costume designs, sketches, cover galleries, etc. I'm rereading the Kirby New Gods Omni right now, and it's got a ton of that stuff in it. Read the Grayson Omni right before that, and it had a bit as well. So I think it depends on the title, and what was previously published. If the files are readily at hand, most of the stuff seems to graduate over to the omni.

As was previously mentioned, I'm excited about some of the Marvel reprints. I sold my Silver Surfer and Uncanny X-Force omnis back when prices went nuclear, and have regretted it, so I'm looking forward to getting those again. Same with Eternals, and I've held off on repurchasing as I have to imagine we'll get a new edition when the movie hits, hopefully with new restoration. Other than that, the volume I'd most like reprinted is the Captain Britain Omni. Another one I shouldn't have let go of. There are some I don't mind that I sold, like Aaron Ghost Rider, the Punisher stuff, Immortal Iron Fist, etc. I bought 'em, I read 'em, I sold 'em at a premium, I'm good with that. But there are a few I miss.

Just now, F For Fake said:

They can have SOME bonus materials. The DC Omnis in particular usually seem to collect all or most of the extras from previous editions, like the forewards, costume designs, sketches, cover galleries, etc. I'm rereading the Kirby New Gods Omni right now, and it's got a ton of that stuff in it. Read the Grayson Omni right before that, and it had a bit as well. So I think it depends on the title, and what was previously published. If the files are readily at hand, most of the stuff seems to graduate over to the omni...

Ah, thanks. The description for Death and Return of Superman doesn't describe any extras, so it had me wondering.

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Ah, thanks. The description for Death and Return of Superman doesn't describe any extras, so it had me wondering.

That particular book may not have any extras. I've never had that volume, so I can't say. I think that was DC's first omni (could be wrong) so it may have been light on content. But most of the modern omni's I've read have been pretty stacked.

There's all kinds of bonus content in marvel omnibuses; same for masterworks. I've been collecting omnibuses and hardcover collections for the last few years now.

This is a great time for bronze age collectors, looking to read all the old material with extras. 

Edited by bronze_rules

Got a cheap new addition today, but a great one, the Black Hammer Library Edition HC, only $46AU, which is super cheap. A great add to the collection, which hasn't had much added to it all year (I'm at a point where much of what I want has already been collected, I've been collecting the Marvel omni's since day one). 

18 minutes ago, bane said:

Had to stop buying Absolutes, takes up too much space and costs way too much.

Yeah, I hear ya. The costs on some of these books are staggering especially for those of us who live outside the US, and unless your reading on a table top the bigger volumes are a bit much to read in bed or on the couch. Masterworks have been my staple since they started reissuing them, nice size and page count though pricey as well. In a perfect world they would print cheap editions in colour on newsprint - basically colour essentials. Probably kill their hardcover sales though. More and more I lean towards reading back issues on an tablet /e-reader. My library does not have unlimited space so as time passes books have to fight for shelf space.

1 hour ago, bane said:

Had to stop buying Absolutes, takes up too much space and costs way too much.

Yup. I ran out of space, and there were RRP price hikes even before the added complication of a Brexit-induced Sterling exchange rate crash.

38 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Sandman and Preacher are the Must Own Absolutes IMO. It can become over kill after that. IST prices are fair with 42% off. Sometimes cheaper eBay deals pop up. 

I like the Sandman volumes.  Not a fan of Garth Ennis.

My favourites..

The Authority Vol 1

DC The New Frontier

Kingdom Come

Planetary Vols 1 and 2

All-Star Superman

Watchmen

I recently bought the Absolute Sandman collection, and yeah, they're must-have IMO.

I've actually just expanded my want/watch list to include the Batman, Superman, and "Crisis"/JL titles I don't own. Threw Ronin and Luthor/Joker on there, too.

My collection is all over the place, it’s mostly DC Batman and flash only, but love some of the mini series like injustice: gods among us. But I would love to collect/have some of the marvel major books so I can read, don’t need like FF omnibus 3 but already have 1 and 2 , have amazing Spider-Man 1 but need 2 , not looking for 3 

need omnibuses like 

hulk 1 

jim 1 

Xmen 1 

so I can read the originals

2 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

DSCN3713.thumb.JPG.35641cbae72f45fae064b5263e3799a5.JPG

All of the marvel silver age super hero stuff is in the masterworks though I will continue with some titles as they print them. I wish I would have kept up with Doctor Strange(1-5) and Spider-man(1-13). Once they are out print it becomes very expensive to buy some of them on the secondary market.

Me sneeze that collection is legit ,

Like the collection right above , at some time i would like my Omniobus to look like a library, 

I want to sit one day and tell my kid to go and pick a book, and read a story where we left off at. I would love to cover my entire room in bookcases filled with stories.like the library scene from the league of  extraordinary  Gentleman movie .  One day I will have it. If I ever move, I want a room with 20 -30 foot ceilings so I can put a sliding ladder in the library 

Edited by Jking3437

17 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

All of the marvel silver age super hero stuff is in the masterworks though I will continue with some titles as they print them. I wish I would have kept up with Doctor Strange(1-5) and Spider-man(1-13). Once they are out print it becomes very expensive to buy some of them on the secondary market.

Holy :censored: that is beautiful.

18 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

The Masterworks look SO pretty together. Beautiful collection!  I got away from MW when they started the Omni's, then I went back, then sold them off, then back, then sold, etc. I have a hard time settling on a format. I love the chunky Omni's, especially on the shelf, but they're a pain to read. Masterworks are pretty, but they're very pricey for the amount of material you get per volume. So I go back and forth. I just sold all of my X-Men MW's because I plan on picking up the boxed set when it comes out.

But, again, beautiful collection!