• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,457 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I recently bought the Absolute Sandman collection, and yeah, they're must-have IMO.

I've actually just expanded my want/watch list to include the Batman, Superman, and "Crisis"/JL titles I don't own. Threw Ronin and Luthor/Joker on there, too.

Good call on Sandman, it's a great series, and those Absolutes are gorgeous. I've got the set, and they look pretty sweet all lined up together with the Sandman bookends. Just beautifully made books.

I started buying Absolutes when they first hit, I think The Authority was first. I collected them all for a while, then started selling them when they went OOP and started commanding big $. Right now I've got, I dunno, 20 or 25 of them. The Sandman set, all of the Batman related volumes (minus Superman/Batman, because I just don't care), and the big ones like Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Ronin, New Frontier. It's a beautiful format. If you get them when they first come out, many volumes can be had for $40-$50. 

For anyone who might be interested, hamiltonbook.com currently has the Joker/Luthor Absolute for $29.95, Kevin Smith Green Arrow for $31, and Jim Lee Superman for $25. I'm tempted just because those are great prices, but those just aren't volumes I care to own. But Hamilton is a great company with some great deals. I buy a ton of movies from them.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

...For anyone who might be interested, hamiltonbook.com currently has the Joker/Luthor Absolute for $29.95, Kevin Smith Green Arrow for $31, and Jim Lee Superman for $25. I'm tempted just because those are great prices, but those just aren't volumes I care to own. But Hamilton is a great company with some great deals. I buy a ton of movies from them.

I jumped on this.

Combined with my $15 eBay Bucks, I just got both Superman Absolutes for $75... Could not be happier.

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I jumped on this.

Combined with my $15 eBay Bucks, I just got both Superman Absolutes for $75... Could not be happier.

Awesome! They're always worth keeping an eye on, I've gotten a ton of stuff from them over the years. 

39 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Insane deal. Seriously, thanks for the info on this one.

:foryou:

My pleasure!

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The Masterworks look SO pretty together. Beautiful collection!  I got away from MW when they started the Omni's, then I went back, then sold them off, then back, then sold, etc. I have a hard time settling on a format. I love the chunky Omni's, especially on the shelf, but they're a pain to read. Masterworks are pretty, but they're very pricey for the amount of material you get per volume. So I go back and forth. I just sold all of my X-Men MW's because I plan on picking up the boxed set when it comes out.

But, again, beautiful collection!

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone.:foryou:

I feel bad for anyone who wants to put together a set aftermarket regardless of absolute/omnibus/masterwork. If you miss the solicitation then your pretty much out of luck within a year or even quicker on many. I want an Eternals omni but I have to wait because I don't want to pay the inflated price having missed it years back. DC has been much better at having their stuff in print overall but I'm sure there are some that are hard to find.

1 hour ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone.:foryou:

I feel bad for anyone who wants to put together a set aftermarket regardless of absolute/omnibus/masterwork. If you miss the solicitation then your pretty much out of luck within a year or even quicker on many. I want an Eternals omni but I have to wait because I don't want to pay the inflated price having missed it years back. DC has been much better at having their stuff in print overall but I'm sure there are some that are hard to find.

Yeah, you have to jump on the stuff you want nowadays, that's for sure. It's not unusual for print runs to be in the hundreds for some titles. The Eternals was actually one that I had the foresight to buy the week of release, just because I was a big Kirby fan. I sold it once prices went crazy, and have regretted it, but I'd bet almost anything that we'll get a new edition once the movie is released, hopefully a more comprehensive volume featuring crossovers, etc. Marvel seems to be getting onboard the reprint train lately, with several much and long-requested titles finally being announced for another release. Hopefully this attitude will continue. 

Yeah, there are 2 Batman Absolutes that are in the $200-range for Brand New. Luckily, they're reprinting The New Frontier in the next few months. Otherwise, that'd be another in the hundreds (sealed).

I'm not keen on buying open books only because I don't have time to examine them when they arrive. If there's a missing page, anything torn or damaged, etc. It's a small risk.

DC does a good job of making certain titles available across different formats, too. I think they're turning Kirby's Fourth World into Absolutes in 2020? I haven't read that series, but I've seen nothing bu glowing reviews of it. I think the omnibuses of them are in the hundreds )open condition).

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah, there are 2 Batman Absolutes that are in the $200-range for Brand New. Luckily, they're reprinting The New Frontier in the next few months. Otherwise, that'd be another in the hundreds (sealed).

I'm not keen on buying open books only because I don't have time to examine them when they arrive. If there's a missing page, anything torn or damaged, etc. It's a small risk.

DC does a good job of making certain titles available across different formats, too. I think they're turning Kirby's Fourth World into Absolutes in 2020? I haven't read that series, but I've seen nothing bu glowing reviews of it. I think the omnibuses of them are in the hundreds )open condition).

Yes, they keep their evergreen titles cycling through all of the formats. Kirby's FW stuff first got black and white trades, then the nice slim HC Omni's. Those went OOP, so I sold them, but then they released the nice, thick Omni with all of that material in one spot. I'll be keeping that one for sure, but I may go ahead and spring for the Absolutes, just because the art is so gorgeous in that format. That's really the selling point of the Absolutes, which is how I got hooked: Hitch's art looked so great in that huge format when they released the Authority Absolute. I was helpless after that!

19 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Hitch’s Authority artwork was made for this format.

Large-scale, widescreen cinema-style action and destruction never looked better in a comic book.

100% agree!

1 hour ago, AlexH said:

Does anyone know if they will ever do one for DC Comics Presents? Lots of first appearances in that title. 

It’s extremely patchy material. 

Unlikely you’d see a collected run unless it’s a trade paperback. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, srezvan said:

Picked up this classic locally.

20191013_111037.jpg

Nice.

Wood and Orlando.

I’ve just been re-reading a couple of their Fantagraphics EC collections.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:47 PM, AlexH said:

Does anyone know if they will ever do one for DC Comics Presents? Lots of first appearances in that title. 

They collected a bunch of them in a couple of the Showcase Presents phonebook style trades, collecting 1-50 and the annual. They're black and white, but they're better than nothing!

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

They collected a bunch of them in a couple of the Showcase Presents phonebook style trades, collecting 1-50 and the annual. They're black and white, but they're better than nothing!

I’ve seen much worse material collected in colour trade paperbacks.

Apart from the first appearances, there’s a lot of nice artwork in there; Garcia-Lopez, Starlin, Kubert.