• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,457 posts in this topic

This is a fun thread.

I enjoy the omnibus format, but it is tricky to read. The Epic Collections are easier, for sure.

I sold off my Alias and Tomb of Dracula Omnibi when prices were high awhile back with no regrets. I sold my Jack Kirby BA Captain America omnibus, regretted it about a year later, and bought another one. :facepalm: Also sold off my Eternals omnibus, on the fence about replacing it, might get the reprint if it comes out. I, too, would like to see the Captain Britain omnibus reprinted.  I recently broke down and bought both Uncanny X-Men omnibi off eBay for a pretty good price.

Sold a bunch of EC reprints, but I'm keeping the war books.

Almost done collecting the Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge books, and I'm way behind on the Carl Barks duck reprints. 

I have my eye on the Alan Moore Swamp Thing absolute edition (finally!) and the Weird Western/ Jonah Hex absolute edition, although I own the complete run in floppies already.

Do you guys sell off your floppies once you buy the reprint? I'm pretty torn on this...

4 minutes ago, MisterX said:

This is a fun thread.

I enjoy the omnibus format, but it is tricky to read. The Epic Collections are easier, for sure.

I sold off my Alias and Tomb of Dracula Omnibi when prices were high awhile back with no regrets. I sold my Jack Kirby BA Captain America omnibus, regretted it about a year later, and bought another one. :facepalm: Also sold off my Eternals omnibus, on the fence about replacing it, might get the reprint if it comes out. I, too, would like to see the Captain Britain omnibus reprinted.  I recently broke down and bought both Uncanny X-Men omnibi off eBay for a pretty good price.

Almost done collecting the Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge books, and I'm way behind on the Carl Barks duck reprints. 

I have my eye on the Alan Moore Swamp Thing absolute edition (finally!) and the Weird Western/ Jonah Hex absolute edition, although I own the complete run in floppies already.

Do you guys sell off your floppies once you buy the reprint? I'm pretty torn on this...

I try to sell my singles ASAP when I buy them in collected format. The good stuff goes to the bay otherwise I take them to LCS for store credit. I’ve sold off over half my collection of singles in the past year. I really only buy singles for cover art (any era) or just to test out a new series/run. 

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is anyone else looking at that Crisis on Infinite Earths Box Set coming out this month?

It might be worth waiting on, because I know that Earth's Mightiest Box Set released earlier this year was recently on sale for 60% off at IST (instocktrades).

Someday I’ll get around to reading Crisis...

box sets look nice, but there is no story I’d drop that kinda money on. 

11 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is anyone else looking at that Crisis on Infinite Earths Box Set coming out this month?

It might be worth waiting on, because I know that Earth's Mightiest Box Set released earlier this year was recently on sale for 60% off at IST (instocktrades).

I picked it up. My personal opinion is that the demand for this title is a lot higher than the Mavel Avengers set, because most collectors have most of the material in prior format (epic, masterworks, etc).  Not sure how much of this was already released, but I've read a lot of very favorable reviews about this set.  I'm not a big fan of DC, nor even later (than bronze) material, but this has enough going for it, that I really wanted it. I'd guess this would become one of the much more expensive to get later, rather, than reduced. Just my opinion, of course.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/4/2019 at 3:20 PM, letsgrumble said:

So glad they're finally reprinting these Spectre stories in an omnibus format. The Fleisher-Aparo run from Adventure Comics especially. Long overdue: 

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/NOV190560

Aparo, Adams, Starlin, Fleisher.

A great compilation.

The Crisis box set looks extremely comprehensive, but, a lot of inessential material in there, and you can follow the main story well enough without the crossovers.

Too pricey for me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/4/2019 at 7:20 AM, letsgrumble said:

So glad they're finally reprinting these Spectre stories in an omnibus format. The Fleisher-Aparo run from Adventure Comics especially. Long overdue: 

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/NOV190560

Agree, but I'm at the point of 'hoping' it actually gets released. They've already cancelled two -- I was looking very forward to (Justice League 2 and House of Secrets 2) -- at just the last minute. I think the Crisis boxset got pushed through because of the upcoming CW series.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/1/2019 at 10:25 AM, MisterX said:

This is a fun thread.

We have very similar tastes! I will say that the Fanta Duck books (both Barks and Rosa) are one of the few series that I've managed to keep up with, as I always ask for that year's gift sets for xmas from my mother-in-law. So every year at the end of the year I get caught up on my Ducks, and I try to space their reading out over the year. I usually save them for the fall and beginning of winter, when it gets dark out and seasonal blues start to kick in. They are remarkable comfort reading.

I will pony up for the Moore Swampy Absolute as well, for sure. I just finished re-reading my BA Swamp Thing Omni, and am ready to continue the story. I haven't read the Moore run since my 20's, in trade form.

As for floppies, I don't really buy new ones much, so not an issue for me. I have been keeping by Batman run going for a long time, and usually just file them and read the collections when they come out. But I'm tempted to just go ahead and drop the monthly book, as they just take up space and aren't read anyway. Otherwise, my relationship with floppies is that I will likely buy the first issue or two to sample, and if I like it, I'll then wait for the collection.

20 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Crisis box set looks extremely comprehensive, but, a lot of inessential material in there, and you can follow the main story well enough without the crossovers.

Too pricey for me.

One one hand, this is definitely how I feel about it.

On the other hand...it sure is purty!

I'm thinking this one may go on top of my Xmas list. I've been a pretty good boy this year!

On 11/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Picked up the new Snyder Batman Omni. The binding is a bit disappointing, but still a cool looking book IMO. 

3D618527-ED2D-41A2-AD6D-A9147DF62BEB.thumb.jpeg.369e066db90b515acae75a90ab5c638e.jpeg

8247F1BB-B95C-444C-9643-AE1738C71C5F.thumb.jpeg.fb807660c6dfc721c0c3427eadf1abd3.jpeg

74717904-547C-4769-8106-117BD5B0E399.thumb.jpeg.b7bae6b218f6d16e2f09f72d2f2e26f5.jpeg

Also picked up a couple trades. Very stoked to check out Punk Mambo. 

4B9AD8CE-F6C7-4A97-AB5E-AD7385CAEFF3.thumb.jpeg.cac069bda24a341335094ef6cf1baff7.jpeg

What's up with the binding, is it glued? I sold off my individual HC's in anticipation of this collection, hopefully I won't regret it!

If anyone is interested, Target is running another of their B2G1 sales on movies and books right now. They've done a few of them, the current one is up at the end of the week. They have a surprising number of graphic novels available. I will caution that a lot of the prices, especially on recently released stuff, are terrible, full MSRP. BUT, there are a lot of good prices out there that are on par with IST and Amazon, depending on what you're looking for, and B2G1 makes for a great deal. For instance, I finally got all caught up on the DC Deluxe Rebirth hardcovers, most were $22 or $23, B2G1, can't beat it. (Of course, I got caught up just in time for them to apparently cancel the program...)

On 11/5/2019 at 8:30 PM, bronze_rules said:

Agree, but I'm at the point of 'hoping' it actually gets released. They've already cancelled two -- I was looking very forward to (Justice League 2 and House of Secrets 2) -- at just the last minute. I think the Crisis boxset got pushed through because of the upcoming CW series.

:wishluck: