• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,475 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Glad to see this thread revived!

Three new arrivals last week through ebay deals. Years ago I had plans to bind the whole Civil War thru Siege saga (chronologically based on issue releases) but sold off my issues when I moved to Belgium 5 years ago, so now I've bee picking up the omnibuses and oversized hardcovers, which dont do as good of a job at interweaving issues across titles so they make sense chronologically (why cant Marvel do this better?!?!) but I dont have time to try and do it myself so they'll have to do. 

66323731_newarrivals.thumb.jpg.c4304e0ffcece75b4d51760517796dde.jpg

Secret Invasion and Siege will go well with my Civil War HCs and other event HCs from that time, still trying to find an affordable copy of Dark Reign... 

The COIE compendium is the first one I've looked at. I love that event like nothing else, so I was happy to see they were reprinting the collected "crossover" events to go alongside my Absolute. 

We just moved into a new house and here's my current shelving chaos. only had time to unbox and stack... gotta do some ordering and get things unblocked so they arent two deep.

MVIMG_20200629_104837.thumb.jpg.aacbc6a0df4223a35e6401e4ef991a36.jpg

Book cases shouldn't be too organized, as it means you're not reading enough!  Lots of good reading there.

I have a very organized house but I seem to have piles of books besides my night stand and on the coffee table in the living room.  (and yes, we have paperbacks double stacked.

Edited by piper

5 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

@miraclemet I love those old Russ Cochran EC hardcover slipcases. I have a handful of them, but wish I had 'em all.

I don’t have all of them, but I do have a complete collection of the New Trend, classic period titles.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I don’t have all of them, but I do have a complete collection of the New Trend, classic period titles.

Post a pic if you have them out. I bet they look sweet all lined up

8 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

Post a pic if you have them out. I bet they look sweet all lined up

I can't get to most of them.  I'm not as organised as you lot. 

Now I read the Fantagraphics black-and-white collections on my tablet.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, Ken Aldred said:
On 6/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, Dave2739 said:

@miraclemet I love those old Russ Cochran EC hardcover slipcases. I have a handful of them, but wish I had 'em all.

I came along too late for those though I do have the Panic set. I was on board for the more recent set … but published across 3 different outfits, the spines get all askew. I am fortunate to have a shelf whose length allow me to have them all side-by-side -

548700334_ECShelf.thumb.jpg.e3f1f309ed7834c6744ee5468098b15b.jpg

38 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

I came along too late for those though I do have the Panic set. I was on board for the more recent set … but published across 3 different outfits, the spines get all askew. I am fortunate to have a shelf whose length allow me to have them all side-by-side -

548700334_ECShelf.thumb.jpg.e3f1f309ed7834c6744ee5468098b15b.jpg

Those are awesome. I've got a bunch and I really like them but my OCD caused me to lose interest for the exact reason you mentioned. The spines looking weird really bug me. I always wanted DC to reprint Legion Archives Vol. 6 because the spine doesn't match the rest of the volumes.

Does anyone know if they plan to reprint the ASM Omnibuses anytime soon?  I'd like to purchase the four volume set.

45 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

Those are awesome. I've got a bunch and I really like them but my OCD caused me to lose interest for the exact reason you mentioned. The spines looking weird really bug me. I always wanted DC to reprint Legion Archives Vol. 6 because the spine doesn't match the rest of the volumes.

That drove me nuts! Sold all of my archives except for Plastic Man when they started collecting most of that stuff in Omnis. I assume Plas will have his day at some point as well.

Of course, the Omnis have their own issues. At some point they abandoned the uniform gold/silver/bronze trade dresses in favor of unique art for each volume, which means House of Secrets Volume 1 & 2 don't look they're in the same series at all, as well as several others. I think they did the same thing when they reprinted the SA volumes of Justice League, Flash, etc. Drives me bananas!

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

That drove me nuts! Sold all of my archives except for Plastic Man when they started collecting most of that stuff in Omnis. I assume Plas will have his day at some point as well.

Of course, the Omnis have their own issues. At some point they abandoned the uniform gold/silver/bronze trade dresses in favor of unique art for each volume, which means House of Secrets Volume 1 & 2 don't look they're in the same series at all, as well as several others. I think they did the same thing when they reprinted the SA volumes of Justice League, Flash, etc. Drives me bananas!

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by stuff like that! Did you ever collect the Marvel Masterworks? I only have a few, but I like that they seem to always offer the "classic" trade dress as the variant if you are so inclined.

Just now, Dave2739 said:

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by stuff like that! Did you ever collect the Marvel Masterworks? I only have a few, but I like that they seem to always offer the "classic" trade dress as the variant if you are so inclined.

I used to collect MMW, but ended up selling them in favor of the omnis for the volumes that I cared about. Of course, MMW are a whole 'nother problem with me. I LIKE the marble/etc variant trade dress, but the fact that they're numbered in release order gives my brain a fit since I want to keep the numbers in the correct order, but I like to keep titles together. So I want 1, 2, 3, 4 to be in order, but I also want to keep all of the FF together, all of the X-Men together, etc. I'm a mess! I did briefly collect the standard covers, as they displayed nicely together and solved that brain problem, but in the end gave 'em all up, and frankly they weren't as pretty as they variant covers. Wish I'd held onto some of them, a lot of them are much pricier now than they were when I let them go!

I may get sucked back in. I nearly picked up the Dazzler variant MMW when it went on sale as I thought the cover color was really snazzy. Slept on it too long (which these days is a few days to a week) and then it sold out and has doubled in price. It's nuts trying to keep up with this stuff nowadays. It's cool to have so much material available, but financially it can be a lot to stay on top of. It used to be that you could wait weeks, or months, or longer, to pick up these collections. But print runs must be miniscule now, because even titles I'd consider popular are sold out in days/weeks. Fear Of Missing Out is alive and well!

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I used to collect MMW, but ended up selling them in favor of the omnis for the volumes that I cared about. Of course, MMW are a whole 'nother problem with me. I LIKE the marble/etc variant trade dress, but the fact that they're numbered in release order gives my brain a fit since I want to keep the numbers in the correct order, but I like to keep titles together. So I want 1, 2, 3, 4 to be in order, but I also want to keep all of the FF together, all of the X-Men together, etc. I'm a mess! I did briefly collect the standard covers, as they displayed nicely together and solved that brain problem, but in the end gave 'em all up, and frankly they weren't as pretty as they variant covers. Wish I'd held onto some of them, a lot of them are much pricier now than they were when I let them go!

I may get sucked back in. I nearly picked up the Dazzler variant MMW when it went on sale as I thought the cover color was really snazzy. Slept on it too long (which these days is a few days to a week) and then it sold out and has doubled in price. It's nuts trying to keep up with this stuff nowadays. It's cool to have so much material available, but financially it can be a lot to stay on top of. It used to be that you could wait weeks, or months, or longer, to pick up these collections. But print runs must be miniscule now, because even titles I'd consider popular are sold out in days/weeks. Fear Of Missing Out is alive and well!

AND... Marvel omnis usually include the letters pages that were left out of the MMW. 

35 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Never got into the omnibus versions.  I had all of the smaller volumes anyway and it just seemed like a further cash grab.

Additionally those things are pricey, heavy and cumbersome.  

I certainly get that, and there are times when I'm breaking my wrists trying to read them and wonder if I should have kept the smaller volumes. But one thing I DO like about them is the larger trim size, it's easier to read and the art looks nice. And I like the way those big chunky books look on the shelf. My favorite format is the oversized hard cover. They're usually a third or less the size of the omnibus, but keep the larger trim. Much easier to read and handle. But unfortunately this format is usually reserved for shorter storylines.