• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,457 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, piper said:

Bill the Cat!

Love Bloom County, and this era, the "Billy and the Boingers" stuff, is the high point, I think!

On 7/15/2020 at 2:01 PM, Jking3437 said:

I’m so mad, never got notifications for the Wolverine and silver surfer reprints 

Has Wolverine been reprinted again? If you missed the second print a couple of months ago, I believe it is scheduled for reprint in September.

Also, if anyone missed Uncanny X-Force around that same time, it is once again available at IST!

I am Happy to add to the Omnibus collection: Planetary.
Now a few thoughts.

* The book arrived with dents in the four corners
and I was surprised I don't give a f...
* I already own the run minus number one
* This omnibus include books that I have never read
Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth (2003),
Planetary/JLA: Terra Occulta (2002), and
Planetary/The Authority: Ruling the World (2000).

I am happy to have the whole story in one book
even with dents.
Its really a great read,
I want them together,
and read them as a whole story.

At some point I am going to sell my singles
but that is in the future.

Now; Sharing my life as a little kid,
I use to spend a few weeks at my aunt house every year
my uncle have a huge collection of custom bound comic books bind together
I spend hours reading and looking at them.
The one I most remember was his Black Hawk collection
and one in particular with a Evil Whell.

I guess that is why I enjoy
Whole collections on a single book.

81CEivSMCVL.thumb.jpg.c082764758a6e0a4bbe89666a4ae1db3.jpg

Edited by MagnusX

19 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

I am Happy to add to the Omnibus collection: Planetary.
Now a few thoughts.

* The book arrived with dents in the four corners
and I was surprised I don't give a f...
* I already own the run minus number one
* This omnibus include books that I have never read
Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth (2003),
Planetary/JLA: Terra Occulta (2002), and
Planetary/The Authority: Ruling the World (2000).

I am happy to have the whole story in one book
even with dents.
Its really a great read,
I want them together,
and read them as a whole story.

At some point I am going to sell my singles
but that is in the future.

Now; Sharing my life as a little kid,
I use to spend a few weeks at my aunt house every year
my uncle have a huge collection of custom bound comic books bind together
I spend hours reading and looking at them.
The one I most remember was his Black Hawk collection
and one in particular with a Evil Whell.

I guess that is why I enjoy
Whole collections on a single book.

81CEivSMCVL.thumb.jpg.c082764758a6e0a4bbe89666a4ae1db3.jpg

I loved this series!

Planetary is great. I need to pick up the Omni before it goes out of print, I'm wondering if Ellis' recent troubles will see them let this stuff quietly go away. Need to grab this one and Authority as well.

28 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Planetary is great. I need to pick up the Omni before it goes out of print, I'm wondering if Ellis' recent troubles will see them let this stuff quietly go away. Need to grab this one and Authority as well.

Definitely worth thinking about.  I got the Absolute Planetary, and Absolute Authority years ago.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Definitely worth thinking about.  I got the Absolute Planetary, and Absolute Authority years ago.

I got the very first edition of Absolute Authority, which at the time was, I THINK, the first Absolute produced (I'm sure I will be corrected here.) I remember hunting all over town to find a shop that had it. I believe that the time it was $50, which seemed very pricey, but I had to have it. Eventually sold it when it went OOP and prices went up. I never have gone back for it, and I really need to before I can't get it anymore! 

(And this may be Chicken Little talk. DC may not care one way or the other, if the books sell for them. But I think I'll err on the side of caution this time.)

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I got the very first edition of Absolute Authority, which at the time was, I THINK, the first Absolute produced (I'm sure I will be corrected here.) I remember hunting all over town to find a shop that had it. I believe that the time it was $50, which seemed very pricey, but I had to have it. Eventually sold it when it went OOP and prices went up. I never have gone back for it, and I really need to before I can't get it anymore! 

(And this may be Chicken Little talk. DC may not care one way or the other, if the books sell for them. But I think I'll err on the side of caution this time.)

Volume 1 is my favourite Absolute.

The Bryan Hitch artwork suits the format perfectly.   That's a good counterargument for buying it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Volume 1 is my favourite Absolute.

The Bryan Hitch artwork suits the format perfectly.   That's a good counterargument for buying it.

Completely agree. In fact, I think that was sort of the selling point at the time: if you want to appreciate that "Widescreen" Hitch artwork, you need the Absolute!

8 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

For those who were looking HOM 2 is also available on IST, but it's hidden and has no cover yet. I ordered.

Speaking of which.... I wonder what the trade dress will look like?

My other HOS/HOM books just showed up yesterday.

Polish_20200728_093409302.thumb.jpg.6ad777adc48232a2a13263da0bc8cc3e.jpg

Polish_20200728_093501223.thumb.jpg.4ec5a46af27bec25a9d0c3161039db1f.jpg

Polish_20200728_093534343.thumb.jpg.2aff85eafb6c0f02046b213ded6862ca.jpg

Im assuming the HOS v2 is the new standard trade dress? The back looks obviously modeled after the Marvel Omnibuses. And i very much like the front splash cover. Bummed they didn't make this decision earlier in the process so all the volumes could have the same dress. They could have even left the spine layout the same and just changed the front/back covers, but oh well.

Excuse me while I go order that HOM v2....

8 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

For those who were looking HOM 2 is also available on IST, but it's hidden and has no cover yet. I ordered.

Yeah, I couldn't find it on there last week on what should have been release day according to their schedule, then it popped up later in the week. I need to get it but even at 1/2 off it's still $75. A bargain for sure, but I've been spoiled by all of the $125 MSRP Omni's that go on sale for $58 or thereabouts.

18 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Speaking of which.... I wonder what the trade dress will look like?

My other HOS/HOM books just showed up yesterday.

Polish_20200728_093409302.thumb.jpg.6ad777adc48232a2a13263da0bc8cc3e.jpg

Polish_20200728_093501223.thumb.jpg.4ec5a46af27bec25a9d0c3161039db1f.jpg

Polish_20200728_093534343.thumb.jpg.2aff85eafb6c0f02046b213ded6862ca.jpg

Im assuming the HOS v2 is the new standard trade dress? The back looks obviously modeled after the Marvel Omnibuses. And i very much like the front splash cover. Bummed they didn't make this decision earlier in the process so all the volumes could have the same dress. They could have even left the spine layout the same and just changed the front/back covers, but oh well.

Excuse me while I go order that HOM v2....

Yes, the newest volume follows the trade dress of the latest volumes. It looks nice, but I still don't know why they abandoned that original Gold/Silver/Bronze trade dress midstream. It wasn't beautiful, but it was uniform. Now the series are a mishmash of designs. Drives me nuts! 

This is the cover, btw. (Picture is not mine.)

s-l400.jpg

30 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, the newest volume follows the trade dress of the latest volumes. It looks nice, but I still don't know why they abandoned that original Gold/Silver/Bronze trade dress midstream. It wasn't beautiful, but it was uniform. Now the series are a mishmash of designs. Drives me nuts! 

This is the cover, btw. (Picture is not mine.)

s-l400.jpg

I really like the new designs, but I can't have that on my shelf like that. I'd be tempted if they reprinted the Vol 1s with the updated trade dress though

8 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

I really like the new designs, but I can't have that on my shelf like that. I'd be tempted if they reprinted the Vol 1s with the updated trade dress though

Yeah, it's crazy how crazy that makes me ha They may do just that, I think they updated Justice League 1 and Flash 1 when they reprinted them, didn't they? I guess they think the uniform look turns people off, I guess if the volumes look more individually exciting they'll sell better? I dunno. To me, I think it's pretty clear that the buyers for these things are the hardcore nerds who want a full set, and like the look of a standard trade dress on their shelves. At least I know I do!