• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,466 posts in this topic

Just now, punksdropdirtysrh said:

No doubt volume 1 will sell out and they’ll do the rest...These are the last reprints I really wanted. Excited to read them since I’ve barely read any Cap and always enjoy Brubaker.

Oh, you're in for a treat, that is a TERRIFIC run! I bought them in Premiere HC's as they came out, then got the omnis, then sold the omnis (you may notice a pattern here with me.) But I will buy them again, it's a run well worth hanging onto.

6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Got this beauty (2020 Eisner winner)last week. Came with its own string bookmark and Sakai sketch

15965675426196344342160945537597.jpg

15965675937463357495502626450585.jpg

Ooh, nice!

18 hours ago, F For Fake said:

This monster finally showed up today, after floating around USPS for nearly three weeks. Well worth the wait. This is the book of the year, by my reckoning, just gorgeous. Totally worth selling my omni to pay for it, can't wait for the next volume!

If they 'make' a next volume.  I was collecting the hardcover TPB of GI Joe with the lead in comments and notes and everything else.  They were amazing.  It was like reading the director's commentary of a movie.   They made it to volume 8 and solicited volume 9 only for them to cancel the line halfway through the marvel run due to poor sales.

I hated having an incomplete set so I sold them this spring... made a ton off them since I bought them from Amazon and IDW ceased their printings of them.  However, I would have liked to have seen the set be completed and I would have kept them. 

I always wonder is it better to buy these types of things as they are released or wait until a certain set is complete? 

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If they 'make' a next volume.  I was collecting the hardcover TPB of GI Joe with the lead in comments and notes and everything else.  They were amazing.  It was like reading the director's commentary of a movie.   They made it to volume 8 and solicited volume 9 only for them to cancel the line halfway through the marvel run due to poor sales.

I hated having an incomplete set so I sold them this spring... made a ton off them since I bought them from Amazon and IDW ceased their printings of them.  However, I would have liked to have seen the set be completed and I would have kept them. 

I always wonder is it better to buy these types of things as they are released or wait until a certain set is complete? 

Well, these days the problem with waiting it out is that print runs are so small, many of these volumes are selling out within weeks of release, if no sooner. Some will linger for a few months, it's true, but by and large, the days of print runs in the thousands that you can feel pretty safe in waiting around to pick up seem to be over. There have been several instances just this year where volumes sold out at retailers like IST ant TOW within hours of release. Some got a reprint weeks or months later, but some still haven't. Marvel seems dedicated to keeping certain perennials like Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol1 and Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 1 in print, but otherwise it's very spotty. Sometimes you wait 5 to 10 years for a reprint. And even then, sometimes they don't come.

In general I'd agree with your hesitation about a multi-volume series; there were plenty of folks left hanging when DC discontinue the Archives line, for instance. However, in this exact instance, I'd say that chances of Volume 2 coming are nearly 100%. The files were restored for the recent Omnibus, so there is no (or at least not much) additional cost in preparing the material. There's cover and slipcase design will be from scratch, I'd imagine, but everything else is sourced. Also, Fourth World tends to be a strong seller for DC. For instance, I believe this is the fifth reprinting of this material I've bought to date: the Baxter reprint series, the greytone trades from the 90's, the four volume HC omnis, the huge all-in-one omni, and now this one. It's a story they know they can always sell, like Sandman, Watchmen and Swamp Thing. I think the second, final volume is all but assured.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

The Mother Box slipcase is just brilliant.

It really is lovely. That silver ink on the white matte background, it's a really beautiful volume.

Anyone who enjoyed Brian Woods Vertigo title "DMZ" will be happy to know that with the solicit of the DMZ compendium some of the Vol 1 Deluxe Hardcovers (OOP and running around $100) are hitting ebay at reasonable prices. If you've been waiting it's a good time to grab em. The OHCs are better quality (and easier reads to me) than the super thick compendiums.

Screenshot_20200807-171007.thumb.png.2383e029a6bb47f587d2062a88e393ca.png

Edited by miraclemet

23 hours ago, F For Fake said:

And now today's mail call: at long last I've completed my Mickey Mouse by Floyd Gottfredson Library! Been looking for this for at least a couple of years, at a not insane price. Picked it up in an eBay auction, and then waited three weeks for USPS to get it here. Seller did a very poor packing job, but luckily it survived. The shelf is now complete!

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

I know books are for readin', but those look super sexy on the shelves @F For Fake

3 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

I know books are for readin', but those look super sexy on the shelves @F For Fake

Yeah, I'm a sucker for the Fantagraphics boxed sets. They make some sweet lookin' books!

20 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

My newest arrival!  I’ve been wanting to read the Fourth World stuff for a while but it was taking forever to collect them in floppy form.   So I found this at a decent used price and pulled the trigger.   Can’t wait to carve out some time and get to it.  

1128B182-886A-4A42-A21A-88F0E036045F.jpeg

The ultimate, most likely never surpassed, super hero storyline arc.

20 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

My newest arrival!  I’ve been wanting to read the Fourth World stuff for a while but it was taking forever to collect them in floppy form.   So I found this at a decent used price and pulled the trigger.   Can’t wait to carve out some time and get to it.  

1128B182-886A-4A42-A21A-88F0E036045F.jpeg

It's a great presentation of terrific material. I sold mine to fund the Absolute edition above. Kinda hated to see it go, but I needed the shelf space. You can't go wrong with these stories in ANY format!

I miss so many Omnibus/HC etc.  I get around to getting the funds to buy something and then it is gone.  All these publishers just put out so much stuff it hard to keep up.  Been wanting to get the Savage Sword Conan Omni's.  Got vol.2, vol. 1 is gonzo, and vol. 3 is getting short already it seems...ugh.  Wanted that 4th world omni myself.  

31 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

I miss so many Omnibus/HC etc.  I get around to getting the funds to buy something and then it is gone.  All these publishers just put out so much stuff it hard to keep up.  Been wanting to get the Savage Sword Conan Omni's.  Got vol.2, vol. 1 is gonzo, and vol. 3 is getting short already it seems...ugh.  Wanted that 4th world omni myself.  

It's true, they really churn this stuff out. It is literally impossible for me to keep up with financially, as well as in regard to available shelf space, so I have to pick and choose the stuff I REALLY want, and plan on getting it right away. As we've discussed previously in the thread, it used to be that you had some time, maybe a year, maybe YEARS, to pick this stuff up. But print runs are so low now that many books are selling out right away. Some end up reprinting down the road, some never do. It's hard to keep up with for sure. I'm finally on top of my X-Men, Carl Barks, and Wonder Woman sets, but I still have a lot of Batman and Justice League stuff I'm missing, in addition to other things I'd like to read for the sake of curiosity. Crazy times!

As for Conan, once I missed volume 1, I just went ahead and gave up. ha I'd assume that there's enough of a demand to warrant a reprint, so I'll play the waiting game, I suppose.