• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,466 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2020 at 1:42 PM, miraclemet said:

no one ever regretted just waiting on the OOP Omnibus. Once it spikes up to OOP price levels it rarely just keeps going up in price (trying to think of one that did)
once it's spiked I just wait for the eventual reprint news....

There's a bunch that won't come down in price until they are reprinted... all the silver age stuff like Hulk, X-Men, Iron Man, Thor for starters.  ASM Vol 3 DM is selling for $400 pretty consistently.  Then there's some modern stuff like War of Kings, Hickman's Fantastic Four 1 & 2, Brubaker's Captain America 1-5 with Death of Cap & Cap Lives being the crazy ones.  #1 gets reprinted next year so I don't see why they wouldn't follow up reprinting #2-4 but who knows.  I'm not saying jump on once a book is out of print, you're better off just waiting til' they get reprinted.  Marvel has done a ton of reprints of stuff this year and next and the community of hardcover collectors seems to have the ear of marvel now.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

So  there are two Planetary Omnibus?    I purchased one off Amazon  the one posted in this thread right now after your recommendation but can't find the second.  

There is only one omnibus
it contain absolutely everything.

Maybe you are thinking about the absolute edition
yes, there are 2 of them...

On 8/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, F For Fake said:

Quick heads up, Target is having a Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale right now, only lasts until 2pm EST. That's only 25% off per item, which isn't great if you're going by MSRP, but for stuff that is already discounted, it's not a bad deal. For instance, they have Batman Morrison Omnibus 3 for $67.99, which isn't as good as it will be at IST next week, but with 25% off if you buy another item, it's not a bad deal. Plus free shipping and an additional 5% off if you're a red card member. Pickings are a bit slim, but there are some decent deals to be had. I prefer the B2G1 sale, but we haven't had one of those in a while. Happy hunting!

Dang, how often  do they have this?

8 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Dang, how often  do they have this?

It's totally random. It seems like it happens more often at the start of the year. For instance, back around January/February, hey had the Buy 2 Get 1 free sale for about three weeks straight, and it applied to most books, movies and music. After that, it's only popped up a couple of times. Sales go live at 12ampst/3amest every Sunday morning. I just keep a bunch of books in my cart, and check when I wake up Sunday morning to see if a sale has gone live. If so, it'll say "Offer available". No real rhyme or reason to when they run the sales, but definitely worth checking out! Also, if you have a Red Card you can get an additional 5% off and free shipping. I loaded up on Omnis back in the winter. The deal sort of hinges on what they have the books priced at. It's also kinda random. Some are priced in line with what Amazon is charging, or near it, and some are still full MSRP. So, if a book is priced around Amazon prices, the B2G1 is a great deal!

On 8/30/2020 at 6:03 AM, Wolverinex said:

How can I order it and how is it different from the Omnibus?

I ordered it through DCBS but you should search “in stock trades” too. Yeah, it’s a larger format book than the Omni. Not sure what will happen to it now that DC is restructuring their efforts though.

Damn, IST is already sold out of Wrath of the Spectre. When the solicitations went live I placed my order for the Wolverine variant cover omni (which is also now sold out), so I could come back with my additional 2% discount, which made Wrath of the Spectre $60 straight up. Put it in my cart, then had a call from work, had to take care of something right away. Came back to my cart and it's already sold out. Insanity.

CGN still has it, but it's $87, which is a kick in the teeth seeing as how IST was $25 cheaper just an hour or so ago. Amazon is $112.

Stuff is crazy these days.

IST still has Longbow Hunters and Morrison Batman 3 if anyone needs them, as well as the regular Wolverine omni cover.

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Damn, IST is already sold out of Wrath of the Spectre. When the solicitations went live I placed my order for the Wolverine variant cover omni (which is also now sold out), so I could come back with my additional 2% discount, which made Wrath of the Spectre $60 straight up. Put it in my cart, then had a call from work, had to take care of something right away. Came back to my cart and it's already sold out. Insanity.

CGN still has it, but it's $87, which is a kick in the teeth seeing as how IST was $25 cheaper just an hour or so ago. Amazon is $112.

Stuff is crazy these days.

IST still has Longbow Hunters and Morrison Batman 3 if anyone needs them, as well as the regular Wolverine omni cover.

As predicted, gone.:acclaim: I ordered it in first few minutes and site was slow as molasses.

Tons of stuff showed up today.

Cloak and Dagger Omni

Black Widow Omni

Wolverine Omni

Spectre Omni

Berni Wrightson Frankenstein

Spider Man Sratczynski 2 Omni

Green Arrow Omni

Just Nuts

Famine to Feast if you have the moolah.

Edited by bronze_rules

20 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

As predicted, gone.:acclaim: I ordered it in first few minutes and site was slow as molasses.

Tons of stuff showed up today.

Cloak and Dagger Omni

Black Widow Omni

Wolverine Omni

Spectre Omni

Berni Wrightson Frankenstein

Spider Man Sratczynski 2 Omni

Green Arrow Omni

Just Nuts

Famine to Feast if you have the moolah.

Yeah the site was craaaaaawling when the new solicits went up. It was a big week. I got Bats Morrison 3 last week at the Target sale, and Wolvie today. Spectre was the only other one I was interested in. Hopefully they’ll get more back in. House of Mystery 2 also sold out right away, but they had restock that lasted a couple of weeks. Hopefully a few more Spectres will shake loose. If not I guess I’ll bite the bullet and grab it from CGN.

Next up for me is LoSH 5YL which I’ve been waiting for most of my life. I will not be denied on that one! I’ll wake up with my finger on F5 that day!

On 6/22/2020 at 8:20 PM, F For Fake said:

And then there's this, a bittersweet addition.

I really enjoy the Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse strips, but had let the collection fall to the wayside as staying on top of the Barks and Rosa Duck sets had been my priority.

A while back I realized I'd procrastinated too long, as this set had gone out of print, and was suddenly commanding dumb prices. We all know Amazon's third party prices are generally ridiculous, and this was no exception, as asking prices for this set reached $600-900. I'd take that to mean that at auction the set would probably sell for closer to $150-$200, which was still more than I wanted to pay.

So, a year or two ago, i set up an eBay alert, and began the waiting game.

I was too slow on the trigger when a set popped up with a BIN of about $38, it sold before I even knew it had been listed! I was pretty bummed about that.

But then a couple of weeks ago a seller listed this one for $40 BIN, so I jumped fast as lightning! I'm assuming the seller used the $38 sale as a guidepost, as they otherwise seemed to sell estate sale items, clothes, junk, etc. No other comics stuff. So that sale that I missed still paid off!

I was stoked that I was finally getting this set, and at a steal. But karma is real, so when the book finally arrived, I was crestfallen to find that the seller hadn't even put it in a box! They'd just wrapped it up in brown craft paper and sent it off as is! Oof. eBay gonna eBay, I guess.

I was scared of what I'd find once I removed the paper, but luckily it's not TOO bad. I'm not thrilled about the bumps it received to the corners, but for $40, considering the rarity, I wasn't about the tempt the gods by complaining.

And besides, it still looks pretty sharp on the shelf!

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

I enjoyed those Mickey volumes.  Even the bar-code was toyed with by the graphic design.  Great stuff.

12 minutes ago, mica said:

I enjoyed those Mickey volumes.  Even the bar-code was toyed with by the graphic design.  Great stuff.

Yes, they really are lovely books! Fantagraphics does terrific stuff with their jacket/slipcase/cover design work. The Carl Barks and Don Rosa books are great, as are the Peanuts sets. But I agree complete, they knocked it out of the park with the Mickey set!

IST was indeed quite exciting yesterday! Thankfully I was able to nab what I needed by about 5 minutes after release time: Bat Morrison 3 and Wolverine Omni. I assume I am getting the Frank Miller cover but either one would be okay. 

This month is a wallet killer! Besides 2 more omnibus and a few hardcovers I also collect blu rays and it’s a heavy month for new releases there as well. I’m working some overtime and also probably going to sell a few books to stay in budget. Lots of money but lots of fun of course!          :flipbait:

On 11/4/2019 at 10:20 AM, letsgrumble said:

So glad they're finally reprinting these Spectre stories in an omnibus format. The Fleisher-Aparo run from Adventure Comics especially. Long overdue: 

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/NOV190560

Yes!!! Just picked this up today! What a great volume!

IMG_1501.thumb.jpg.fff038e38e4877778bfa89cf693abcd9.jpg

IMG_1506.thumb.jpg.ced66204d112ed3183d24dd976e4dc57.jpg

I preordered the following:

27 Apr 21 - Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus (reprint)

19 Jan 21 - Moon Knight Omnibus vol 1

9 Feb 21 - Captain America by Brubaker omnibus vol 1 (reprint)

20 Apr 21 - Defenders Omnibus vol 1

2 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Yes!!! Just picked this up today! What a great volume!

IMG_1501.thumb.jpg.fff038e38e4877778bfa89cf693abcd9.jpg

IMG_1506.thumb.jpg.ced66204d112ed3183d24dd976e4dc57.jpg

I have the Spectre Trade from a number of years ago. Is this worth picking up?

2 hours ago, piper said:

I preordered the following:

27 Apr 21 - Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus (reprint)

19 Jan 21 - Moon Knight Omnibus vol 1

9 Feb 21 - Captain America by Brubaker omnibus vol 1 (reprint)

20 Apr 21 - Defenders Omnibus vol 1

I didn't think they would ever have a Defenders Omni. Spent an arm and a leg putting together the masterworks run.

4 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

I didn't think they would ever have a Defenders Omni. Spent an arm and a leg putting together the masterworks run.

I’m pretty stoked. I always thought it weird that they had Epics from the end of the run.