• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,475 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Those wide horizontal sections for your giant art books are great. I need something similar for my IDW artist editions and those oversize Marvel hardcovers. I've got most of them stacked on the floor for now.

Thank you.

It’s a good solution for those massive books, you just can’t really stack them or they’re hard to access. If they could each have their own shelf it would be perfect.

I usually start searching (using the Power Search. The normal search above that is practically useless) a couple of minutes before 3:00, sometimes the search function will pick up the book before the listing goes "live". And always go ahead and log in before hand as well. It's so odd that these are starting to become "flash sales", but I guess that's what it's come down to. Gotta get my FYL today, no matter who I have to trample!

31 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Got my 5YL Omnibus, no problem. Anyone pick up anything else? 

Also got my 5YL omni order in, I'm so excited. I can't believe it exists!

I would have gotten the Batman Dini omni, but I spent too much on comics this weekend. Maybe it'll be there for a while.

As of this moment, I don't think anything from this week has sold out. The Dini omni and Absolute Carnage have already shot up in the Top 3, so if anyone absolutely has to have them, you might want to move soon. I wouldn't sleep on the direct market cover to Conan 4 either, if it's something you all might want.

I'm tempted by the Golden Age Marvel 2 omnibus with the Schomburg cover.

45 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Got my 5YL Omnibus, no problem. Anyone pick up anything else? 

Picked up Legion and Conan. I want the Conan covers to be consistent as I have the earlier 3.

I might have liked Marvel Mystery 2, but still haven't even finished reading the Masterworks. Surprised everything lasted so far today. Looked like big demand for 5YL.

7 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Picked up Legion and Conan. I want the Conan covers to be consistent as I have the earlier 3.

I might have liked Marvel Mystery 2, but still haven't even finished reading the Masterworks. Surprised everything lasted so far today. Looked like big demand for 5YL.

Agreed, it's interesting that nothing has sold out yet over an hour into it. Maybe stock levels will finally start leveling off. That would be nice. I'd like to return to the times when I could actually wait a day, or a week, or whatever, instead of praying that the book I want doesn't sell out in 30 seconds!

Legion is a niche title with a dedicated fanbase, but even within that fanbase, the 5YL run is really divisive. I happen to love it, but a lot of folks can't stand it. I was afraid the print run would be microscopic because demand would be so low. Glad it lasted long enough to grab one. Of course, joke is usually on me, it'll probably end up clearance priced in a year ha

Is anyone picking up the Demon Trilogy HC? I still have the tall, thin hc's from way back in the day, so I wasn't moving on this one, but it looks like it may be kinda cool.

19 hours ago, kustomizer said:

I'm not a fan of how Golden Age comics look with bright modern computer colouring on glossy pages. Would so much rather have them reprinted on decent newsprint in the more subdued orignal process colours.

DC has switched to a high quality newsprint for some of their monthlies and trades. I wish they'd use it for everything, it's terrific. Takes the ink nicely without being murky, and doesn't add that weird glossy sheen you mention to vintage stuff. My favorite of all time was the paper used in the Fourth World Omnibus hardcovers, the thinner four volume set. It was lightweight but sturdy, and looked gorgeous. A lot of folks complained at the time that it felt cheap, but I thought it was perfect. I'd love to see more of that.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

DC has switched to a high quality newsprint for some of their monthlies and trades. I wish they'd use it for everything, it's terrific. Takes the ink nicely without being murky, and doesn't add that weird glossy sheen you mention to vintage stuff. My favorite of all time was the paper used in the Fourth World Omnibus hardcovers, the thinner four volume set. It was lightweight but sturdy, and looked gorgeous. A lot of folks complained at the time that it felt cheap, but I thought it was perfect. I'd love to see more of that.

Thanks, I'd like to check that out. Which monthlies are they doing?

1 hour ago, kustomizer said:

Thanks, I'd like to check that out. Which monthlies are they doing?

I know DC changed to the less glossy paper a couple of years ago. I stopped buying new comics a while back, but the last two titles I was getting, Catwoman and Batman, were using the matte paper. Unless things have changed, I'm assuming they're still using it. It's thicker than newsprint, like Baxter, only without the gloss. Colors looked much better.

As for their collections, paper quality and binding seem to vary wildly, depending on where the book was published. Quality control hasn't been their strong suit. They never used that Fourth World paper again as far as I can recall. The Absolute Batman Year One has the story collected in two HC', one with slick paper and coloring, and the other on a matte newsprint paper with original colors. If you have any interest in Absolutes at all, it's really lovely.

30 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I know DC changed to the less glossy paper a couple of years ago. I stopped buying new comics a while back, but the last two titles I was getting, Catwoman and Batman, were using the matte paper. Unless things have changed, I'm assuming they're still using it. It's thicker than newsprint, like Baxter, only without the gloss. Colors looked much better.

As for their collections, paper quality and binding seem to vary wildly, depending on where the book was published. Quality control hasn't been their strong suit. They never used that Fourth World paper again as far as I can recall. The Absolute Batman Year One has the story collected in two HC', one with slick paper and coloring, and the other on a matte newsprint paper with original colors. If you have any interest in Absolutes at all, it's really lovely.

Those Fourth World Omnibi actually ring a bell, I vaguely recall seeing one at a shop and being impressed by the print and colours, but also heard they had binding problems so gave them a miss.

I bought some Turok hardcovers years ago, but got rid of them when I saw how badly the lurid colour and glossy paper worked against the art.

I've never seen or heard anyone saying they like the absurdly bright print/production on Golden or Silver Age reprints, so I wonder why the companies persist in doing it.

Thanks for the tip on Absolute Batman Year One, hope to check that out.

10 hours ago, kustomizer said:

I've never seen or heard anyone saying they like the absurdly bright print/production on Golden or Silver Age reprints, so I wonder why the companies persist in doing it.

I assume it's cause

a) the thicker glossy paper holds up better so the books have longer shelf life at retailers. 

b) sticking to one paper stock is cheaper and easier for the printers (to them a Golden Age Omnibus is the same thing as a modern omnibus, just with the extra headache of having to do remastering of the original art files since they're working from copies of copies of copies. The extra production overhead already eats into their profits on the volumes. 

I just took a trip to ollies and got the guardians of the galaxy omnibus for only $20, cover price is $125.  has all the first appearance issues of the team plus some early captain marvel issues. super sweet deal if you ask me.  picked up some hardcover batman new 52's as well.

27 minutes ago, classicaaron said:

I just took a trip to ollies and got the guardians of the galaxy omnibus for only $20, cover price is $125.  has all the first appearance issues of the team plus some early captain marvel issues. super sweet deal if you ask me.  picked up some hardcover batman new 52's as well.

Cool, I wonder if they're getting new shipments in? Year before last they had a $7 million buyout of DC backstock, and they had stacks of hardcovers, archives, trades, etc all dirt cheap. I spent $400 on stuff that would have been several grand retail. It was an amazing sale. I've been hoping we'd see one again. THey occasionally get random Marvel stuff in, but the only Marvel Omni I've ever seen at an Ollie's is the Avengers vs X-Men Companion for $10. I'll have to check out my shops !and see if we got anything new. I'm not a big GotG guy, but would definitely grab the omni at that price!

48 minutes ago, classicaaron said:

A Marvel Omnibus for $20?    Wow.

I would love to get a copy at that price point.  Alas, that's not an option in Canada.

I wonder how much shipping would be to Edmonton.