• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,466 posts in this topic

I was really planning on going for PS Artbooks' Harvey Horrors series, but I've read a consensus "meh" on the quality of reproduction, and I just can't justify spending $400 on Chamber of Chills Vol 1.

There seem to be better PCH collected editions to seek, as well.

On 10/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, srezvan said:

I'm starting to switch my reading to TPBs/collected editions. I've been trying to complete an Akira run for a little while after finding the first few issues several times in the wild. But then I saw the anniversary box set, and said, "why would I pay so much for the individual books?" So I waited for a good price and picked this up...

(thumbsu

On 10/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, srezvan said:

I'm starting to switch my reading to TPBs/collected editions. I've been trying to complete an Akira run for a little while after finding the first few issues several times in the wild. But then I saw the anniversary box set, and said, "why would I pay so much for the individual books?" So I waited for a good price and picked this up.

It's funny, sometimes picking up the TPB/HCs are cheaper than the individual books, and sometimes (due to OOP status) the individual issues are cheaper than the Collected Editions. 

I used to make my own hardcovers by having floppies bound and sometimes that's cheaper than collecting the TPBs/HCs (or when there are no collected editions)
Starman, Gotham Central, Hitman.... all got bound (of couse some of those eventually got collected editions, and some have since gone OOP again). 

42 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

It's funny, sometimes picking up the TPB/HCs are cheaper than the individual books, and sometimes (due to OOP status) the individual issues are cheaper than the Collected Editions. 

I used to make my own hardcovers by having floppies bound and sometimes that's cheaper than collecting the TPBs/HCs (or when there are no collected editions)
Starman, Gotham Central, Hitman.... all got bound (of couse some of those eventually got collected editions, and some have since gone OOP again). 

You're 100% correct. Sometimes you have to do a cost analysis to see which route is the cheapest, if you don't have a preference on format. I've always found the world of custom binding fascinating. There's a whole subforum on custom binding over at the mmw boards, and I love looking at the work people have had done. It's certainly come a long way! Bound volumes used to be fairly straightforward and plain, but these days folks can do custom wraps, custom dustjackets, and some of the designs are far better than what shows up in the "real" version later! I've debated getting some series bound, but for the most part, most of the things I really care about have eventually made their way to publication. With the Legion 5YL omnibus coming out, I realize now that anything is possible, so I'm more patient than ever. But I do love seeing custom sets from collections! Very cool!

Frankly, the single issues take up too much room.  I have one last book on my pull list, Amazing Spider-Man.  Everything else, I wait for the collected edition. 

A good example is American Vampire.  I had all the floppies and sold them.  Now that the series is restarting, I'm going to wait until they are collected in OHC or Omnibus format before reading the concluding issues.

46 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I would say by far the best deluxe edition this year our there is "the history of EC comics" by Taschen......it took me 4 days to read, its massive and the best and by far the most comprehensive history of EC comics.

Just wish it was smaller.  When it can't fit on a normal bookshelf, that's a problem.

1 minute ago, bronze_rules said:

I have not received any orders or email replies from IST since September (though they did take the money up front). Something really going wrong there.

Uh Oh.  What did you order?

40 minutes ago, piper said:

Uh Oh.  What did you order?

Conan Omni 4 and LOSH 5 years later, on September 22.. 1st five minutes. Few others since then.

There's some discussion on another forum about distributor issues going on in the background. A lot of long time customers are leaving IST. But all of the online vendors seem to be having issues, so I don't know of a reasonable alternative right now.

I was going to recommend Infinity War Omni as the new edition came out today (for those who missed it years ago), but at this rate, I don't think even I would put in an order from them.

Edited by bronze_rules

6 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Conan Omni 4 and LOSH 5 years later, on September 22.. 1st five minutes. Few others since then.

There's some discussion on another forum about distributor issues going on in the background. A lot of long time customers are leaving IST. But all of the online vendors seem to be having issues, so I don't know of a reasonable alternative right now.

I was going to recommend Infinity War Omni as the new edition came out today (for those who missed it years ago), but at this rate, I don't think even I would put in an order from them.

Being in Canada, my only real option is either my LCS or Amazon.  I've heard that Tales of Wonder might be a good option for my American compatriots.

On 10/15/2020 at 1:51 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I was really planning on going for PS Artbooks' Harvey Horrors series, but I've read a consensus "meh" on the quality of reproduction, and I just can't justify spending $400 on Chamber of Chills Vol 1.

There seem to be better PCH collected editions to seek, as well.

I was very disappointed.  The reproduction isn't really much better than what you'd get in British hardback annual reprints back in the 70s.

Also, the Harvey comics really aren't that good either.  (Spoiled by exposure to EC.)