• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,466 posts in this topic

Wondering what you all would do here? 

I purchased the BPRD Hell on Earth #2 hardcover when it first came out. Before I received it I got an email from IST stating that there was a printing error, and I would be receiving a corrected version once they received them from Dark Horse. They said I could keep the error version. I did receive the corrected version, and have both.

Now the price is over $100 for the book, so I want to sell one of them. The copies I’ve seen sold don’t mention the error. 

1. Which one would you sell?

2. Do you think the error version would be worth more or less?

3. Anyone else have the error version?

Interesting note: both copies show first printing.

SPOILER: second image shows last page of one of the stories.

598075C6-CFB0-4AD5-9AA6-964F4FCEBF85.thumb.jpeg.fd3a53a15df9090bd1f2947eb1e040e2.jpeg

Upper copy is corrected version. Lower copy missing last page of story.
CCE2A3E3-CE46-47FF-9205-D9A61A44FE5B.thumb.jpeg.d8a853d26a2ef8261378afa14099df4d.jpeg

9 hours ago, wormboy said:

1. Which one would you sell?

2. Do you think the error version would be worth more or less?

3. Anyone else have the error version?

1. I would sell the Error Version.
  2. IMO it would be worth less because, well, the "error" demand is likely very low.
  3. No.

I have an Error Version of one of my Spawn Origins TPBs. It has a different volume's splash page. If I could swap it 1-for-1 for a proper 1st Printing in the same condition, I would.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
  1. I would sell the Error Version.
  2. IMO it would be worth less because, well, the "error" demand is likely very low.
  3. No.

I have an Error Version of one of my Spawn Origins TPBs. It has a different volume's splash page. If I could swap it 1-for-1 for a proper 1st Printing in the same condition, I would.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I'd want the correct version for my personal library, but I'd definitely want to disclose the error to any potential buyers. There are collectors of errors, but usually they're looking for "cool" errors, like the foil books that are missing the foil and therefore have a unique look, or books printed with colors missing, etc. I don't see this interest extend to collected editions so much, as most of those collectors just want the best possible reading version of a story for their library. But still, you never know, there is probably a collector out there who insists on having every known variant of this book. They must exist. Hope you fine 'em!

41 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I'd want the correct version for my personal library, but I'd definitely want to disclose the error to any potential buyers. There are collectors of errors, but usually they're looking for "cool" errors, like the foil books that are missing the foil and therefore have a unique look, or books printed with colors missing, etc. I don't see this interest extend to collected editions so much, as most of those collectors just want the best possible reading version of a story for their library. But still, you never know, there is probably a collector out there who insists on having every known variant of this book. They must exist. Hope you fine 'em!

Yep, the point of collected editions is to have something readable, so keep the version that is readable (has the right pages). 

on a related note, I still kick myself for selling my Plague of Frogs HCs years ago, someday I'll find replacement copies of Vol 3 and 4... 

2 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Yep, the point of collected editions is to have something readable, so keep the version that is readable (has the right pages). 

on a related note, I still kick myself for selling my Plague of Frogs HCs years ago, someday I'll find replacement copies of Vol 3 and 4... 

And I'm kicking MYSELF for not buying the HC's of all of the BPRD stuff to begin with. At the time I was still buying monthlies, so I had every single Hellboy related book, spinoff, etc in floppy form. I thought "Well, one day I'll pick up the collections," so I sold off all of the individual books. Now those collections...not cheap! Plague of Frogs was such a cool story, too!

55 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

And I'm kicking MYSELF for not buying the HC's of all of the BPRD stuff to begin with. At the time I was still buying monthlies, so I had every single Hellboy related book, spinoff, etc in floppy form. I thought "Well, one day I'll pick up the collections," so I sold off all of the individual books. Now those collections...not cheap! Plague of Frogs was such a cool story, too!

the trade versions are still affordable and decent, but man I want those HCs back...

22 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

the trade versions are still affordable and decent, but man I want those HCs back...

See, that's my problem, if a book is released in trade only, I'm ok with picking it up. But if I know there's a HC lurking out there, I just don't feel right picking up the paperback. I may have a problem. ha

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Haha I did the same thing! Couldn’t pass up $390 for number 3 and 4 - now still a giant hole on the shelf.

Thanks for your response!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks for the reply!

I like to collect error versions, but I also like to collect $125 for a book I paid $25 for haha. 

of course I would note the error if selling the error version.

1 hour ago, bronze_rules said:

The one afternoon I forgot to check instocktrades new listing I missed sienkiewicz New Mutants cover! :cry:

Everything with sienkiewicz is always an expensive sold out item almost immediately.

Have to settle for the original.

I missed it entirely, wasn't expecting this until next week. Oh well, such is life!