• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,481 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, piper said:

One of the nice things about collected editions is that I’ve been reading titles that I never would have thought to collect.

I’ve been enjoying some 1970’s Marvel Horror recently. On that note, any thoughts on Man Thing? I may have accidentally read a story about the character in MTU but can’t say I know much about the character other than it introduces Howard the Duck? Is it worth the purchase of the Omnibus reprint coming out soon?

Man-thing stories are interesting in my opinion. He is a creature of emotion. Some horror. How much is the omni?

2 hours ago, piper said:

One of the nice things about collected editions is that I’ve been reading titles that I never would have thought to collect.

I’ve been enjoying some 1970’s Marvel Horror recently. On that note, any thoughts on Man Thing? I may have accidentally read a story about the character in MTU but can’t say I know much about the character other than it introduces Howard the Duck? Is it worth the purchase of the Omnibus reprint coming out soon?

Man-Thing is one of my favorite omnis. One of the things that makes him great is Mike Ploog artwork. Up there with Berni Wrightson. Some great Steve Gerber stories too. Very similar character to Swamp-Thing, dialogue is minimal and internal.

Edited by bronze_rules

23 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Man-Thing is one of my favorite omnis. One of the things that makes him great is Mike Ploog artwork. Up there with Berni Wrightson.

I agree.

it also contains some great Alcala art and Gray Morrow:

d2ee50a24200ca89528112a734869be0.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

59 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Man-thing stories are interesting in my opinion. He is a creature of emotion. Some horror. How much is the omni?

Book value is $157 CAD before any discounts.

12 hours ago, piper said:

Oh, are they reprinting Man-Thing??? That's awesome! I slept on it the first time around, and have regretted it for some time now. I had the Essentials and most of the floppies, so I hadn't been in a huge hurry to get the Omni. Thanks for the heads up, I have been out of touch with solicitations and news through the holiday season. Will definitely pick this one up. If you have any affinity for bronze horror, I'd say you should give it a chance. It has that vibe, but is just a little more odd, which makes it appealing. Great Ploog art too.

For me having Tomb Of Dracula, Man-Thing, Werewolf by Night, and The living Mummy collections completes the quadfecta of bronze horror!

I also missed Man-Thing originally, as I wasn't as in to omnis, but found it for cheap on Ebay or Amazon. I'd get the reprint if I didn't have it yet.

Then there's Ghost Rider, Son of Satan, Blade, Morbius, Satanna, Garth Ennis, Brother Voodoo and others that have also been (or will be soon) lovingly collected. The ones I really want the most now are the oriiginal horror anthologies like Chamber of Chills.It was cool to see at least one story collected in Dr. Strange Masterworks (as it related to the villain).

Edited by bronze_rules

Today IST has Savage Sword Conan 4, Moon Knight, and X-MEN 3, X-MEN Jim Lee, Infinity Crisis...

It's like they waited till after everyone blew their Christmas dough.:cry:

Too bad I'm on a break from Masterworks sale. I've got enough to read for weeks if not months.

Edited by bronze_rules

1 hour ago, bronze_rules said:

Today IST has Savage Sword Conan 4, Moon Knight, and X-MEN 3, X-MEN Jim Lee, Infinity Crisis...

Too bad I'm on a break from Masterworks sale. I've got enough to read for weeks if not months.

I preordered Moon Knight and UXM 3.

I got a good deal on these ASM books on Facebook (of all places).

I can’t believe the size of Vol 1 compared to Vol 4. How do I tell if it’s a first print?

15 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Infinite Crisis? Unless there's a Marvel crossover!? :o

I've been buying these omnibuses since they first came out. I've read about 20 or so from cover-to-cover. But a lot I haven't read yet. I'll buy some of them thinking they'll go OOP quickly and they'll be harder to obtain later. But I do plan on getting to them eventually.

Some people when they retire will buy a winnebago or a yacht. I just want to have a kick- library with the time to read it all at my leisure. Just hope my eyesight doesn't go by the time I get there.

Totally lucked into a DCBS restock of Uncanny Xmen Omnibus vol2 a few nights ago. Its been on ebay at full retail due to OOP for a bit. They must have found a few copies. They also had some more Excalibur omnibuses so I grabbed one of them too.

A very mutant centric pair of buys waiting for me in my next dcbs shipment.

Edited by miraclemet

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Totally lucked into a DCBS restock of Uncanny Xmen Omnibus vol2 a few nights ago. Its been on ebay at full retail due to OOP for a bit. They must have found a few copies. They also had some more Excalibur omnibuses so I grabbed one of them too.

A very mutant centric pair of buys waiting for me in my next dcbs shipment.

My UXM V3 has a forecast ship date. I have no plans to get V4, but plan on picking up New X-Men by Morrison. After that I don’t plan anymore X-Men purchases.

I’m curious what everyone thinks  the quintessential runs are in the X-Men Pantheon.

5 minutes ago, piper said:

I’m curious what everyone thinks  the quintessential runs are in the X-Men Pantheon.

To me itss UXM Omnibus 1-2, the New X-Men Omni, and the Astonishing X-men Omni. Those are the great stories to me.