• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,478 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, piper said:

@F For Fake

The Inferno event was published around the time I stopped reading X-Men.

How does it compare to the first part of Claremont’s run?

To be honest, it’s fairly convoluted, as the story attempts to tie up all of the Cyke/Madelyne Pryor/Jean Grey business, while tying in Limbo, S’ym and Mr Sinister. So...there’s a LOT going on, and it’s kinda silly. But if you like the more melodramatic/soap opera elements of Claremont’s writing, and some great Silvestri and Simonson art, it’s a real treat. I don’t think it’s the sort of thing that stands up on its own as a story, but I loved it as a kid, and enjoyed my revisit a few years back.

11 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

To be honest, it’s fairly convoluted, as the story attempts to tie up all of the Cyke/Madelyne Pryor/Jean Grey business, while tying in Limbo, S’ym and Mr Sinister. So...there’s a LOT going on, and it’s kinda silly. But if you like the more melodramatic/soap opera elements of Claremont’s writing, and some great Silvestri and Simonson art, it’s a real treat. I don’t think it’s the sort of thing that stands up on its own as a story, but I loved it as a kid, and enjoyed my revisit a few years back.

I did like the artwork. :devil:

20 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Well I checked Amazon and it appears to be sold out there too!  lol

26 minutes ago, piper said:

Well I checked Amazon and it appears to be sold out there too!  lol

It's so difficult to predict these things these days. When covid quarantine first hit, from spring into the summer, pretty much everything sold out instantly. Then it seemed like in the fall, things were starting to level out. A lot of books would hang around for weeks, even months. But with X-Men, the audience must be massive, because they tend to sell out in days, if not minutes. A couple of volumes (Jim Lee/Claremont, for example) hung around for a few weeks, but everything else is blink and you miss it. I think Inferno was one of the more hotly anticipated reprints, as it has been OOP and selling for $200-$300 for a few years now. Whenever they get around to the rerelease of Fall of the Mutants, I'd expect that one to sell quickly as well.

My computer helpfully decided to double post, for some reason.

Edited by F For Fake

On 4/1/2021 at 10:31 AM, F For Fake said:

It's so difficult to predict these things these days. When covid quarantine first hit, from spring into the summer, pretty much everything sold out instantly. Then it seemed like in the fall, things were starting to level out. A lot of books would hang around for weeks, even months. But with X-Men, the audience must be massive, because they tend to sell out in days, if not minutes. A couple of volumes (Jim Lee/Claremont, for example) hung around for a few weeks, but everything else is blink and you miss it. I think Inferno was one of the more hotly anticipated reprints, as it has been OOP and selling for $200-$300 for a few years now. Whenever they get around to the rerelease of Fall of the Mutants, I'd expect that one to sell quickly as well.

I planned to not buy it, but then I happened to be at my LCS, as my daughter wanted to buy some Manga.  I saw a copy on the rack and totally caved. lol

I'm not an Omni completist, so I need to figure out a good cutoff point for X-Men.  My new mantra should be: "I will not buy Excaliber/X-Factor/Power Pack... I will not buy Excaliber/X-Factor/Power Pack... I will not buy Excaliber/X-Factor/Power Pack..."

At present, I don't plan to purchase the Claremont/Lee Volumes, Fall of the Mutants, or Mutant Massacre, but I could probably be easily swayed... 

Edited by piper

11 minutes ago, piper said:

I planned to not buy it, but then I happened to be at my LCS, as my daughter wanted to buy some Manga.  I saw a copy on the rack and totally caved. lol

I'm not an Omni completist, so I need to figure out a good cutoff point for X-Men.  My new mantra should be: "I will not buy Excaliber/X-Factor/Power Pack... I will not buy Excaliber/X-Factor/Power Pack... I will not buy Excaliber/X-Factor/Power Pack..."

At present, I don't plan to by the Claremont/Lee Volumes, Fall of the Mutants, or Mutant Massacre, but I could probably be easily swayed... 

When we get the final Uncanny X-men Omni's, whether that's one big "Volume 5", or a split "Volume 5/6", I'll be done, more or less. I stopped subscribing/reading UXM with the relaunch of issue 281. That's when Portacio started, and 282 introduced Bishop. That was the last issue of my sub that arrived in the mail way back then, and the point where I stopped reading the first time.

I then started up again with Age of Apocalypse, and stayed with it through Morrison's run, then stopped again.

So, for me, UXM 1-5/6, then Mutant Massacre (if it's not rolled into those volumes), Fall of the Mutants, Inferno (+ Prologue), and then Claremont/Lee 1& 2 and X-Tinction Agenda should represent everything I HAVE to have. Then I have the AOA Omni & Companion, then Morrison, Whedon, and Uncanny X-Force/Avengers, and then Hickman. Those are the must haves for me.

IF/when they reprint or rerelease the material from Phalanx Covenant, Operation Zero Tolerance, Fatal Attractions, Onslaught etc I MAY buy them, depending on how much they cost and my mood at the time. But I'm ok with not having them, and I'm definitely not paying secondary market prices for them. I sold all of those for good money the first time around, and haven't missed them at all. So, yeah, unless I get a sweeheart deal when/if they release them again, I'm not sweating them.

I'm super excited about the announced Excalibur Omni 2, as I love the book. By then it was pretty thin soup, but my affection for the characters still justifies the purchase. I might also sample a Peter David X-Factor if that happens, because I've head so much about it over the years. But otherwise, I'm pretty close to caught up on my X-needs, hardcover wise. If they eventually release the Silver Age X-men in Omni, I may be tempted for the sake of the bookshelf. But I'm currently rereading the series again since I got the Children of the Atom set, and honestly, I think that's plenty for my needs. Silver Age X-men, aside from a couple of inspired early issues, aren't so hot.

4 hours ago, piper said:

I'm not an Omni completist, so I need to figure out a good cutoff point for X-Men. 

I'd say Uncanny volumes 1-3 have the best stuff.  I personally passed on volume 4 because issues 176-193 don't do anything for me, and I already have the rest in other omnibuses, like Wolverine's omni.  Will pass on future volumes 5-6 as well, and not a fan of the 90s Apocalypse stuff.

Edited by Poekaymon

I think Defender Omni is out tomorrow. Although they are one of my favorite titles, I already have all the Masterworks in hardcover and digital.

I think I might actually pass, as there's a finite amount of room to store, and I can't see opening and reading the full Omni over and over. Wouldn't be surprised to see it gone in minutes.

2 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

I think Defender Omni is out tomorrow. Although they are one of my favorite titles, I already have all the Masterworks in hardcover and digital.

I think I might actually pass, as there's a finite amount of room to store, and I can't see opening and reading the full Omni over and over. Wouldn't be surprised to see it gone in minutes.

I desperately want a Defenders Vol 2

2 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I'd say Uncanny volumes 1-3 have the best stuff.  I personally passed on volume 4 because issues 176-193 don't do anything for me, and I already have the rest in other omnibuses, like Wolverine's omni.  Will pass on future volumes 5-6 as well, and not a fan of the 90s Apocalypse stuff.

I didn’t read any of the Apocalypse stuff either. I did enjoy the Wedon and Morrison runs. Still need to read Uncanny XForce

7 minutes ago, piper said:

I desperately want a Defenders Vol 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see it sometime. Esp. Considering Dr. Strange, Hulk, movie popularity, and Sub Mariner likely. Although, we've been waiting a long time for Dr. Strange 2.

What's in a vol 2, that you are interested in? That's why I love masterworks. Everything continuous.

3 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it sometime. Esp. Considering Dr. Strange, Hulk, movie popularity, and Sub Mariner likely. Although, we've been waiting a long time for Dr. Strange 2.

What's in a vol 2, that you are interested in? That's why I love masterworks. Everything continuous.

I just want to keep reading the title. I could always read them digitally but it’s not the same. Masterworks are so notoriously expensive on the secondary market.

3 minutes ago, piper said:

I just want to keep reading the title. I could always read them digitally but it’s not the same. Masterworks are so notoriously expensive on the secondary market.

Yeah. Defenders were mostly a pain to complete (price wise and hard to find sometimes), but I bet they'll drop a bit now. At least the ones covered in Omni 1. 

12 hours ago, piper said:

I didn’t read any of the Apocalypse stuff either. I did enjoy the Wedon and Morrison runs. Still need to read Uncanny XForce

Uncanny X-Force is my favorite X-related book since my childhood. Remender did an excellent job of mixing fan service with new ideas. So there are callbacks and references that are steeped in X-lore, but also a totally new, original storyline. That book was a blast. I enjoyed the follow-up Uncanny Avengers as well, though not quite as much as UXF. If you enjoy X-Men at all, including Whedon and Morrison, I bet you'd get a kick out of it.

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

I wonder if Marvel is no longer continuing their annual slipcase releases? They printed X-Men: Children of the Atom last year, but I am not seeing any news on a box set for 2021.

Children of the Atom had such a spotty release due to COVID, I wonder if that interrupted their plan for future sets. When CoA was released in the spring, it sold out in an instant. Restock came in back in the fall, lasted a few weeks, then was gone again. Meanwhile, DC did get their Blackest Night/Brightest Day box released, and it is still in stock at most places. The CoA box is indeed lovely, but I probably wouldn't buy a second collection as I have all of that stuff in Omnibus and floppy form. Unless the box is reaaaaally pretty. ;)

As for other potential box sets, what's left? The did Civil War, Infinity Saga, and that first collection of all of the original SA Marvel stuff, right? What would be a good candidate for another box set?

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Children of the Atom had such a spotty release due to COVID, I wonder if that interrupted their plan for future sets. When CoA was released in the spring, it sold out in an instant. Restock came in back in the fall, lasted a few weeks, then was gone again. Meanwhile, DC did get their Blackest Night/Brightest Day box released, and it is still in stock at most places. The CoA box is indeed lovely, but I probably wouldn't buy a second collection as I have all of that stuff in Omnibus and floppy form. Unless the box is reaaaaally pretty. ;)

As for other potential box sets, what's left? The did Civil War, Infinity Saga, and that first collection of all of the original SA Marvel stuff, right? What would be a good candidate for another box set?

I wasn't aware that DC released a 2nd box set after COIE.

Marvel did Secret Wars, too. I thought they might follow X-Men up with Fantastic Four.

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

I wasn't aware that DC released a 2nd box set after COIE.

Marvel did Secret Wars, too. I thought they might follow X-Men up with Fantastic Four.

Yup, the Blackest Night/Brightest Day set looks really snazzy! It was supposed to have been released back around November, but was pushed back, and just came out a month or two ago, maybe February? It's smaller than the Crisis set, so it's also a bit cheaper, only $178 at IST. I haven't picked it up yet, but plan on doing so at some point. I sold my Blackest Night 10th Ann Omni back when this box was announced. The Omni is pretty comprehensive, but is missing a few random tie-ins. I assumed the box set would rectify this, but apparently the Blackest Night contents are identical to the omni, and the Brightest Day stuff has been added. Oh well. It's still a nice looking set.

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jun200537/blackest-night-brightest-day-box-set

Yeah, if they go with a single title over an event set, FF would be my guess as well. Of course, that material is available in Omni, MMW and Epics, but hey, so are the X-men, and they got a box, so anything is possible.

Just now, F For Fake said:

Yup, the Blackest Night/Brightest Day set looks really snazzy! It was supposed to have been released back around November, but was pushed back, and just came out a month or two ago, maybe February? It's smaller than the Crisis set, so it's also a bit cheaper, only $178 at IST. I haven't picked it up yet, but plan on doing so at some point. I sold my Blackest Night 10th Ann Omni back when this box was announced. The Omni is pretty comprehensive, but is missing a few random tie-ins. I assumed the box set would rectify this, but apparently the Blackest Night contents are identical to the omni, and the Brightest Day stuff has been added. Oh well. It's still a nice looking set.

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jun200537/blackest-night-brightest-day-box-set

Yeah, if they go with a single title over an event set, FF would be my guess as well. Of course, that material is available in Omni, MMW and Epics, but hey, so are the X-men, and they got a box, so anything is possible.

I have no interest in the box sets.  The OHCs and Omnis look so much better on the shelf.  I'm glad that we are getting reprints of FF V2 & 3 plus a new V4.  If only they could reprint the Byrne V2 Omnibus...