• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relieved I didn't win - Share your stories
1 1

18 posts in this topic

So as we are on the cusp of a new year I have been looking back at my collection. Besides looking at what I picked up - thoughts also strayed to things I didn't pick up (or lost out on).  One area however that I feel is worth exploring are auction bids that didn't win and we are happy about! Often as a collector I lament losing at auctions, but once in a while you feel relieved when you didn't win something.  One such time was few years back. I was new to auctions and was easily caught up in the excitement and fever of participation. 

This story has to do with a Mignola Rocket Racoon Cover. This was before the Guardians of the Galaxy movies came out -so it was by no means a hot item.  To get specific it was a ComicLink auction. I wasn't all that aware of sniping -so with about a minute to go - I bid 5k (or there abouts. memory is not imperfect). I don't recall exactly but the price was around 4k or so.  That's when panic struck. What had I done!? Bidding so high on a fuzzy animal book?

Sure I loved it as a kid, but what was I doing bidding so high for such a niche item?  I looked back at the price. Refreshed the page. Someone else bid and bid again. Then with a few seconds to go I was outbid! Huzzah! Never felt so happy to lose an auction before.  Looking back these many years later - I still have no regrets.  It was a collecting lesson I would never forget.

The point of the above story is to share my experience about an auction that I didn't win and was happy as to the results. 

Please share your stories of loss (happy tears) with the rest of us -so we could know first hand what you went through.

Oh and before I go - HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!

rocket.jpg

Edited by Panelfan1

On 12/31/2018 at 8:19 AM, Panelfan1 said:

So as we are on the cusp of a new year I have been looking back at my collection. Besides looking at what I picked up - thoughts also strayed to things I didn't pick up (or lost out on).  One area however that I feel is worth exploring are auction bids that didn't win and we are happy about! Often as a collector I lament losing at auctions, but once in a while you feel relieved when you didn't win something.  One such time was few years back. I was new to auctions and was easily caught up in the excitement and fever of participation. 

This story has to do with a Mignola Rocket Racoon Cover. This was before the Guardians of the Galaxy movies came out -so it was by no means a hot item.  To get specific it was a ComicLink auction. I wasn't all that aware of sniping -so with about a minute to go - I bid 5k (or there abouts. memory is not imperfect). I don't recall exactly but the price was around 4k or so.  That's when panic struck. What had I done!? Bidding so high on a fuzzy animal book?

Sure I loved it as a kid, but what was I doing bidding so high for such a niche item?  I looked back at the price. Refreshed the page. Someone else bid and bid again. Then with a few seconds to go I was outbid! Huzzah! Never felt so happy to lose an auction before.  Looking back these many years later - I still have no regrets.  It was a collecting lesson I would never forget.

The point of the above story is to share my experience about an auction that I didn't win and was happy as to the results. 

Please share your stories of loss (happy tears) with the rest of us -so we could know first hand what you went through.

Oh and before I go - HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!

rocket.jpg

Since we’re talking about fuzzy memory, but didn’t @delekkerste own this cover and recently just sold it (presuming here)? Maybe it was a different cover for the series? I’d love to know how well he did on it :baiting: maybe 5k was a steal?

Interesting topic. 

I can’t think of a time when I panicked with a high bid because I’m already conservative with my buying. There are many times when I’ve thrown in small tracking bids on pieces I was excited about but when the final auction day came around, my excitement had tempered. Usually because a better piece popped up. I guess this is different than wishing to be outbid. 

About a year ago or so, a Skottie Young cover that had gone stale popped up on eBay with a .99 cent auction. I threw in a measly $26 bid and became the high bidder. Upon closer scrutiny I realized I was bidding on a fake. That’s when I was begging to be outbid. 

Edited by Jay Olie Espy

I know the feeling all to well. I bid on a book to finish my collection and got caught up in the bidding and could not let it go and ended up shelling out almost $5,000. on a non key golden age. After the fact, I was very happy with this in that I still have yet to see another copy.

This has never happened to me with original art. But I learned my lesson early on with eBay bidding on a comic book. It was an issue of Young Romance with all contents penciled by Jack Kirby. I had been looking for it for years when it showed up on eBay. I caught a bad case of auction fever and ending up bidding up to $500. I still lost and was quite happy to do so. I knew I had made a stupid mistake. Especially two weeks later when I found a copy at a comic book convention, every bit as good as the eBay piece but priced at $15.

5 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Since we’re talking about fuzzy memory, but didn’t @delekkerste own this cover and recently just sold it (presuming here)? Maybe it was a different cover for the series? I’d love to know how well he did on it :baiting: maybe 5k was a steal?

Yes, $5K was a steal.  There would be a line of buyers out the door to buy it at that price today.  I'd love to buy it back myself at that price!  

Anyway, I'm doubly glad that I won it back in 2014, as the cover was a crucial part of a trade deal that landed me one of my most sought-after pieces.

Every once in a while, I get into a mood where I want to buy an example of every artist who has drawn a published Phantom Stranger image. When in that mood, I saw a Jerry Talaoc page and put in aa bid for it at about $500. Thankfully, someone else must have been suffering from a similar problem, because I was outbid. A few weeks later, another page came up which eventually sold for about $175.00–no, thank you.The madness had passed.

12 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yes, $5K was a steal.  There would be a line of buyers out the door to buy it at that price today.  I'd love to buy it back myself at that price!  

Anyway, I'm doubly glad that I won it back in 2014, as the cover was a crucial part of a trade deal that landed me one of my most sought-after pieces.

Glad to hear it worked out for both of us! I collect for fun not profit.

The value later whether up or down wasn't the point of this story.  I was sharing the experience of bidding and losing on something and still having joy.  Learning these many years later that I lost to Gene - makes me happier still. I have noticed our collecting paths/Interests crossed a few times. Gene has an esteemed collection - so sharing interest in stuff means at the very least I have ok taste in art. Ha ha.

These 'co-incidences'  also show how small the art community is and at least for me as boardie here make me feel closer to all of you!  As it's now officially 2019 all around the world - let me wish happiness, good health and fruitful collecting to everyone here.

13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

the cover was a crucial part of a trade deal that landed me one of my most sought-after pieces.

An integral rung on the ladder to total global domination!!

giphy-16.gif.dcaf190457f5e3e0b1370e751d36b52c.gif

On 1/1/2019 at 6:16 AM, batman_fan said:

I only regret the ones I let get away.  Nothing I lost that I am glad I lost.

+1 to the ones that got away. I don't think I have ever bid high enough on something yet to truly either live to regret it or have someone bail me out with their bid.

I can see it possibly happening if I were to spot something I really want for the first time shortly before it ends, just because I wouldn't have the time I need to think things through. Over the years it's getting easier to avoid scratching the itch just because it is there... even though that generally feels good for a while :)

57 minutes ago, Garf said:

I can see it possibly happening if I were to spot something I really want for the first time shortly before it ends, just because I wouldn't have the time I need to think things through. Over the years it's getting easier to avoid scratching the itch just because it is there... even though that generally feels good for a while :)

Are you referring to comic art or dating partners?

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, delekkerste said:

A page from this mini series was up on eBay several months ago.

I can’t think of anything immediately, but I know the feeling you are describing and I have experienced this as well. I think it was earlier in my collecting days as I was more impulsive and less decided on exactly what I wanted in my collection. As such, I could get dragged into a bidding war much easier than today. I am a lot more purposeful in what I buy these days and almost always wait to bid until the end of an auction so that I have time to think about how much I want a piece. That said, I did win a piece this year where I paid a little more than I had planned before the end of the auction when I ended up going back and forth in a bidding war on a piece.

An interesting follow up question: have you ever had that piece you regret buying due to getting caught in a bidding war, bought on impulse, etc. only to have the piece become a favorite later on? Did a regretted purchase turn into a favorite (or at least much more appreciated) piece?