• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on facebook
3 3

233 posts in this topic

We have ebay threads and more ebay threads so why not a Facebook selling thread? I just joined Friday and it is going very well so far but I would love some dos and don'ts, suggestions, and hashtag discussion if anyone cares to share their experience. I have already made two major mistakes (didn't know my posts were private so...) and want to see what others are doing if they do not mind sharing. My ebay bill this morning was $242 so I would prefer to keep the fees and sell in other venues.

I belong to a few groups. For all comics before 1990 I belong to    Vintage Comics: Buy, Sell & Trade

Also 2 groups run by the same people.....

Low grade comic books for sale or trade, a buy sell group.  For comics 7.0 or lower

High grade comic books for sale or trade, a buy sell group. For comics 7.5 or higher

All clubs have rules that you must abide by. You must be accepted to become part of the community so have your profile pretty much filled out. If they see a person with no location ect.... filled out they will probably reject you.

There are tons of different groups. Just do a search under the group section for "Comic buying and Selling" and you will get many groups to choose from.

17 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I belong to a few groups. For all comics before 1990 I belong to    Vintage Comics: Buy, Sell & Trade

Also 2 groups run by the same people.....

Low grade comic books for sale or trade, a buy sell group.  For comics 7.0 or lower

High grade comic books for sale or trade, a buy sell group. For comics 7.5 or higher

All clubs have rules that you must abide by. You must be accepted to become part of the community so have your profile pretty much filled out. If they see a person with no location ect.... filled out they will probably reject you.

There are tons of different groups. Just do a search under the group section for "Comic buying and Selling" and you will get many groups to choose from.

I’ve joined two of  those groups but not the 7.5 or higher one thanks

I was talking trade with someone for a hulk 2 1.8 and he told me it was worth 700 to 800 when the highest sale ever on GPA is 598 so definitely buyer beware 

Not that every sale is on GPA of course 

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

What kind of protection is there from getting ripped off?

All groups I know encourage you to use PayPal for goods and services and some even keep a list of bad members to deal with. If you get caught scamming or trying to scam someone you are removed from the group.

In my experience, lots sell better than single issues. Great way to get rid of unwanted books.

Talking up the guy/girl and just finding out what they like has paid off in spades. Lots of sales without even listing and I've also bought from customers

I tend to sell more in the local listings than within the specialty groups. Love them cash transactions. Haven;t had any bad experiences yet when using Paypal. (knock on wood)

Edited by WhatMeWorry

38 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

I love selling on Facebook. I post my entire inventory and people can message me and pick which books they'd like from every title I have. I'm in around 20 groups and can post in all of them at once. Very little work required compared to eBay.

You list or are there images?

1 hour ago, the blob said:

You list or are there images?

you upload images same as ebay or here (I assume he does as well)

I just sold a $750 piece of art and have some feelers from others about more art. It seems like a thriving marketplace. I am now torn if I should even list in the sales forums here as you can list something on both facebook and ebay at the same time. I picked up some nice trades recently and will probably give them a shot here first but selling something every day on facebook is very attractive. I am only in a bout 6 groups so far, I have to find more to cross post into.

I post a list like this:

Star Wars    1    FN    $55     1st print
Star Wars    1    VF    $15     Reprint
Star Wars    2    FN+    $5     Reprint
Star Wars    2    VG-    $6     
Star Wars    4    VG+    $22     
Star Wars    7    FN    $7     

Buyers then send me a list of the books they'd like and I take photos. I don't really post pics before speaking to the buyer. It allows me to list hundreds of books and don't have to do the actual work until the potential buyer is ready. Since I am taking pics on request I'll also have the books pulled and ready to package if they want them. Works great for me. 

Edited by rsouxlja7

So a question...I am in 6 or so groups and can cross post but not to the Golden Age Comics group? Is that unusual? Seems very odd that I have to create the post twice if I want it in that group and somewhere else.

so frustrating but good sales so far

I post and some times it recognizes it as a for sale post and other times not

then I get yelled at my admins for not following the format but I don't know why the format changes from post to post

also I have no link to the marketplace. I reported that problem so we will see what happens there

1 hour ago, rsouxlja7 said:

"comic book lovers buy sell trade" group

I asked to join that this morning or yesterday but have not been admitted yet.

Edited by Bird

You cant beat the buying crowd on both FB and IG. I have bought a ton on both side and made some good
money doing it. IG is a little more user friendly for selling then FB is, just because you don't have to belong to 
a ton of groups when I start I will do IG first and maybe link to FB. After you use both you will understand.

I really sell a lot of books here on this site. Establish yourself as a seller who packs and grades well they will
beat down your door for certain books. Just keep in mind with FB and IG you don't have the protection you have
with ebay and paypal. You will have Paypal and no matter what a seller or buyers says don't use friends/family 
unless you know them very well.

I look for FB to start to use its Marketplace for more profitable and eventually become a competitor to ebay in 
years to come. When you have over 1 Billion users you can do what you want. 

Edited by fastballspecial