• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on facebook
3 3

233 posts in this topic

I've had some luck selling large lots on FB locally that I don't want to mess with shipping. Lots of tire-kickers and low-ballers, but so far I've managed to get my price on everything. Just met a dude on my lunch break today and sold a run of Rebirth Tecs. Cash in hand is always a good thing! No PP/eBay fees, no tax-man. I dig it. Plus everyone gets to see the item in person and shake on it, so when the deal is done, it's done. No chargebacks, bogus returns, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yeah, I met two guys last week and sold $85 of comics to them. They drove 30-45 minutes for it! I also have some people asking about coming by the house but I meet them somewhere public instead.

Same. I always meet up in a Kroger parking lot, Walgreens, somewhere well lit and heavily trafficked, in the daytime.

ONCE I had a guy meet me at my house, but that's because he was buying 25 longs of drek, and there was no way I was packing that stuff up and hauling it out. But that was in my garage. No way I'm letting a stranger into my house. And I checked his FB page pretty thoroughly, seemed like a totally normal family man. Of course, those could have been famous last words, but it all worked out.

Now, I HAVE gone INTO some sketchy homes a few times to buy comics, which is probably not smart, but, you know, comics. They're an illness.

Same here. I’ve gone to a few places that seemed sketchy at the outset but have no desire to let some stranger into my house. I did make an exception last year when selling some vintage car parts via Craigslist. The buyer was a police sergeant in a neighboring town, so I figured he’d be okay.

Some of these groups have sketch admin's running them. It doesn't help that people aren't using their real names, so they've probably gone through a half dozen burner accounts. The other day I was invited by a nitwit that booted me out of a group for calling him on a scam he helped coordinate, I couldn't believe it. Either short memories, or burning brain cells by the bushel with each new alias.

I dropped a slab off at a guys house once and he invited me in to look at his collection. There were literally raw and slabbed books all over the house with no organization. I don't even know how he could find a certain book if he was looking for it.

On 3/13/2019 at 6:25 PM, Dark Knight said:

Sold a Tec 73 and also a ASM 1 (on time payments)

:golfclap:

I sold some Harley Quinn today for $55. I like the set and forget aspect of FB, just toss it up there and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, AmazingComics413 said:

Boardies seem to like Facebook now.

Changing of the tide, I suppose. I myself was skeptical for a long time, but I've had nothing but success lately. Like I said above, cash in hand, no paypal/ebay fees, no taxes. To be clear, I'm only talking about local FB. I don't ship FB sales. But while Craiglist has completely died for me, FB has more than picked up the slack, and I'm selling stuff there well above my eBay asking prices, minus the fees. I'm liking it a lot.

28 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have only sold on ebay and here prior to joining FB about 3 months ago. No problems so far unless you count lookee-loos and tire-kickers, of which there are plenty.

I'll say this: I've sold on eBay for 20+ years, and the number of trouble transactions has never been higher than these past few months. Tons of newer users bidding stuff up and then immediately asking to cancel after they win (I had two cases within a week of each other literally message me saying "I don't want it any more.") etc. eBay can't be beat for the number of eyeballs on the site, but it is also more of a hassle than ever. Meanwhile, fees go up, seller protections go down. It's not great.

The boards are good for specialized items, high grade and rare books etc. But traffic seems lower/slower than the last few years unless you're one of a handful of big time dealers. Still tons of great books selling to discerning bidders, but altogether not the same as it was a couple of years ago, especially for the mid-level junk I'm usually peddling.

Meanwhile, FB seems to be the best place to dump bulk stuff, drek, etc. It's telling that the sports card guys are out in force right now, and they are willing to gobble up the drek that folks here don't want, and people on eBay don't want to pay to have shipped. If they're buying, I'm selling! So far so good.

I haven’t been looking in the sale threads on here lately but in the rest of the forum it does seem traffic has gone down A LOT these past few years. Seems that way all over the internet now though. At least on message boards

Once went to an ebay sellers house 10 blocks from my office to pick up a GA slab. Middle aged guy, his wife was there putting up with his hobby, offered me coffee. He showed me his collection. I guess he figured if I worked in an office in midtown manhattan I might not butcher his family.