• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on facebook
3 3

233 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, the blob said:

Once went to an ebay sellers house 10 blocks from my office to pick up a GA slab. Middle aged guy, his wife was there putting up with his hobby, offered me coffee. He showed me his collection. I guess he figured if I worked in an office in midtown manhattan I might not butcher his family.

If it makes you feel any better I will say that I fully feel that you are capable of butchering someone's family :D

Edited by Buzzetta

21 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If it makes you feel any better I will say that I fully feel that you are capable of butchering someone's family :D

Capable, yes, but not gonna do it.

I seem to have connected with a good buyer. I sold $45 worth of Harley Quinn last week and he came back and just bought $300 worth of stuff! w00t w00t So there go 18 Bronze FF issues, Wolverine 1-30, Weapon X MCP run, 4 late SA ASMs, a Deadpool miniseries and Wolverine/Gambit miniseries! I tossed in a few of those to make the deal happen although I think he may have bought them anyway.

Yesterday I got a "do you buy to sell?" message and after I replied yes I got a hard pitch to buy some junk. he started off saying guide was $3500 and he would take 45% of guide, then said he would consider $1000 then "just throw me a number" but the books were in bad shape and waaaay overpriced. HoM 175 was in there but he said it could press to 8.5/9.0 and the photos showed many color breaking spine ticks. He had a Curse of the Spawn 1 valued at $15! So after politely declining I had to just ghost him due to the repeated :I said I was cheap" and "just toss me a number" messages. Turns out he asked about a Rom 1 a month or so ago and decided to pitch me.

I took down much of my facebook stuff to list here about a month ago and haven't listed again since then so sales have essentially stopped. However, the exception is the buyer I noted in the post above; he is starting a collection for his grandson and has been spending a portion of his SS checks with me every month. This month was $770 for 3 slabs and X-Men 18 & 19 raw. It has been a nice relationship. He wants to buy some more on the first of next month but I have to decide what to offer him! He doesn't haggle and sends me money orders next day mail )despite me telling him to send them regular mail and avoid the $25 postage). I think I will likely sell him BA12 raw next month and some other things; I may even have to buy some more stuff to offer him. He seems like he is having a great time bonding with his grandson.He has spent about $1500 the last 3 months.

So now fb users can rate you based on their "experience" with you. 

Mind you, not they're shopping experience with you, just their experience with you

so if your average fb person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed messages you and asks you to lower your price on an item and you say no, he can rate his experience with you negatively. 

Of course this makes perfect sense in the fb planet

3 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

So now fb users can rate you based on their "experience" with you. 

Mind you, not they're shopping experience with you, just their experience with you

so if your average fb person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed messages you and asks you to lower your price on an item and you say no, he can rate his experience with you negatively. 

Of course this makes perfect sense in the fb planet

This makes me so glad I left Facebook! :cloud9:

Ive tried selling my bulk on FB. It worked once, sold 100 books for $50 mixed junk stuff. Now I have a new lot of 50 modern all NM books for $50  X-Men , X-Factor, Wolverine genre books and its just sitting there, so i dont get it.

Anybody have tips for selling Bulk? Ideally Id like $0.75 a book..mostly 80, 90, 00's, some BA

3 hours ago, cigars&comix said:

Ive tried selling my bulk on FB. It worked once, sold 100 books for $50 mixed junk stuff. Now I have a new lot of 50 modern all NM books for $50  X-Men , X-Factor, Wolverine genre books and its just sitting there, so i dont get it.

Anybody have tips for selling Bulk? Ideally Id like $0.75 a book..mostly 80, 90, 00's, some BA

You're doing it right. Sometimes there's demand for comic books. Sometimes ther isn't a. That's just how every market behaves. 

Sit it out and wait for someone to bite

8 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

You're doing it right. Sometimes there's demand for comic books. Sometimes ther isn't a. That's just how every market behaves. 

Sit it out and wait for someone to bite

I agree I put up some varied drek the other day about 30 to 35 Comics each for $25 each. one sold immediately and I added another one yesterday those comics are just sitting in boxes they might as well sit on FB

Selling comics online is like dating online.

The cheaper the service (plenty of fish, etc) the flakier the clientele.

As you invest a little more in the platform, you tend to weed out more of the flakes.

I've had good and bad experiences on Facebook.

There were a few guys who totally committed to books only to back out, even after reassuring me they were interested.

That rarely has happened to me anywhere else.

But I've also had some good deals go down.

Facebook does tend to give the impression that the (word edited out but rhymes with forearms a bit lol ) own the place but that's just social media exposing you to everything out there whereas you can filter most of it out otherwise.

Edited by VintageComics

You have nothing but talkers on facebook. they all want what you have and some go as far as trying to lowball the hell out of you, some even ask to "hold it til they get paid" and the person never contacts you again. waste of time in my opinion.  there isn't any safety for the seller really either. someone scams you that's it. your out of gas......  common sense would tell one to ship only when your receive payment first, however we all know how facebook transactions CAN go down.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, Bird said:

We have ebay threads and more ebay threads so why not a Facebook selling thread? I just joined Friday and it is going very well so far but I would love some dos and don'ts, suggestions, and hashtag discussion if anyone cares to share their experience. I have already made two major mistakes (didn't know my posts were private so...) and want to see what others are doing if they do not mind sharing. My ebay bill this morning was $242 so I would prefer to keep the fees and sell in other venues.

Exactly

I joined last week and also on Kijiji

Have had some minor interest

One guy wanted to trade me a Tamba Bay Buccaneers autograph helmet for my edge of spiderverse post 

But I said "No"

Did a FB buy today...went by a $2 comic sale where he had tons and tons of drek. There were many more boxes in the photos but he said that he has not gone through them all yet. He had some boxes of $2 books and some boxes of "more than $2" books. I got these. I need the JLA/Avengers 1 to complete a set and the Pitt 1 newsstand and Spider-Ham were "why not?" toss-ins.

D_SnthEW4AUQWM0.jpg

In the FB selling mode, I got another money order today for $800 from my monthly buyer, the guy who uses his SS checks to build his grand-sons collection. 6 slabs I was so glad to be rid of, a mixed drek lot of 30 comics, BA12, and NYX4 all on their way to him and his grand-son. I have to keep buying now to keep him coming back for more, cannot lose such a great buyer!!!

well, after discussion with two other collectors I am taking the plunge and will be doing live auctions on facebook. No date planned yet as we want to get the word out but between the three of us we should have some excellent comics to sell, along with some comic art and memorabilia. It is another way to get some sales and move some stuff so that I can turn 1000 little things into one or two big things. So check out Sideline Comics on facebook and feel free to join the group if you have any interest in buying there. One of the other collectors is also a member here but I don't want to share his info without going over it with him.

Sideline Comics on Facebook

after reading this thread I might have to visit FB marketplace and see what's for sale and maybe unload 2 duplicate books I have. Very interesting to see the feedback from you guys.