• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on facebook
3 3

233 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

after reading this thread I might have to visit FB marketplace and see what's for sale and maybe unload 2 duplicate books I have. Very interesting to see the feedback from you guys.

If you make a sale insist on Paypal goods and services, or a check/money order, and send it with tracking. That is my advice for what it is worth.

13 minutes ago, Bird said:

If you make a sale insist on Paypal goods and services, or a check/money order, and send it with tracking. That is my advice for what it is worth.

yeah if I sell I might try locally and do a cash in person deal as I would only be selling 2 -3 books probably that are a few hundred in value only. 

also I might be buying more than selling I can see my habit getting the best of me lol 

On FB I buy a little but try to sell more. My selling has slowed down except for the one guy who buys first of every month. He is a steady customer who FB connected me with. 

If you decide to buy on FB, buy from me! Or the live auctions when we start them (Sideline Comics!!!) :whistle:

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

On FB I buy a little but try to sell more. My selling has slowed down except for the one guy who buys first of every month. He is a steady customer who FB connected me with. 

If you decide to buy on FB, buy from me! Or the live auctions when we start them (Sideline Comics!!!) :whistle:

will do (thumbsu

I just blocked my first person on FB! I bought a few long boxes of naughty girl comics last week and took the magazines the guy had as well. Promptly joined a group on FB for selling wrestling items and listed some magazines. Someone from Canada asked about a bunch, had me pull about 20 magazines and take photos, box them up for a shipping quote (which I had worned him would be high) and then ghosted me. I asked for a response about 3 times and he read the messages but never responded. So I told him after having me do all that work for nothing that he should at least be polite and respond if he was no longer interested. He replied immediately to that! Said I was on my high horse and his grandfather just died and he wasn't ignoring me. I told him he certainly was ignoring me as I could see the messages were read. Blocked him after that. Surprised his cat wasn't responsible for killing his grandfather!

On 7/26/2019 at 2:17 PM, Bird said:

I just blocked my first person on FB! I bought a few long boxes of naughty girl comics last week and took the magazines the guy had as well. Promptly joined a group on FB for selling wrestling items and listed some magazines. Someone from Canada asked about a bunch, had me pull about 20 magazines and take photos, box them up for a shipping quote (which I had worned him would be high) and then ghosted me. I asked for a response about 3 times and he read the messages but never responded. So I told him after having me do all that work for nothing that he should at least be polite and respond if he was no longer interested. He replied immediately to that! Said I was on my high horse and his grandfather just died and he wasn't ignoring me. I told him he certainly was ignoring me as I could see the messages were read. Blocked him after that. Surprised his cat wasn't responsible for killing his grandfather!

I’ve done a bunch of selling on FB Marketplace. Be prepared to deal with a ton of fake offers, people wasting your time, and rude people as well.  

When going to make a sale watch for “replica bills” (they say replica somewhere on the bill, last place I saw one it was the bottom right corner in small letters), counterfeit bills, and I personally don’t take checks.

Then the next problem is, if someone hands you a counterfeit bill or replica bill, it always turns into a confrontation. It can take a nasty turn very quickly. I’m not telling you to avoid this means because of the money you can save on eBay fees, but be careful. 

I always conceal carry when I meet with anyone, and have my lady or a buddy with me carrying too. I’ve never had to use it, or pull it on anyone from a bad deal, but there have been people wanting to fight, call me a liar when I can’t except their counterfeits, and things like that. 

From the sale of magazines and comics if you are shipping, I’d try and stick with PayPal. I’ve heard a lot of horror stories though of guys sending a raw book let’s say that was a 9.8, and they say it wasn’t as described, and send a 6.0 back. I try and video the packaging and shipping of the slab, or raw, but i don’t even know if it will help, at least it’s some sort of proof though.

I apologize for not reading through the entire thread to see if you would even meet up with anyone or just ship, but just be aware if that ever crosses your mind.

Its definitely a great place to get a bunch of peoples attention, but there are a lot of issues that can come from it too.

On a side note, I’ve also noticed people using Instagram lately to sell comics, slabs, and magazines.

I should note, most of these issues occurred from before I even started collecting comics. And some from the good old craigslist. There are two instances in the past year though that have occurred from the sale of comics while using FB Marketplace. But if two out of 20 are bad, that’s still pretty good odds.

@Bird

Edited by jfree580

I have been blocking members on FB in record amounts lately. Also way too many damaged item threads where members are arguing over if it's the shippers fault or the shipping company. Add about a dozen animated gifs and memes to every discussion and suddenly you get tired of reading stuff in these groups. I need FB comic group vacation.

I didn't know there are also tips on selling for Facebook as well. I knew some concerning Instagram, but it turned out the same goes for FB. For example, it's important when to post on facebook, there are special hours and it can help making your group popular. There are a lot of articles, but I recommend to read about this here. 

Fb is the new craigslist

We listed a garage sale for Saturday in one of our recording studios. Listed on both CL & FB on Friday night around 7pm 

Woke up Saturday morning bombarded with over 50 messages on FB and only one txt on my phone from CL 

I sold 1 DJ/PA system, a couple of marshal amps and accessories for $1200 in less than 4 hours

On 1/1/2019 at 11:04 PM, fastballspecial said:

You cant beat the buying crowd on both FB and IG. I have bought a ton on both side and made some good
money doing it. IG is a little more user friendly for selling then FB is, just because you don't have to belong to 
a ton of groups when I start I will do IG first and maybe link to FB. After you use both you will understand.

I really sell a lot of books here on this site. Establish yourself as a seller who packs and grades well they will
beat down your door for certain books. Just keep in mind with FB and IG you don't have the protection you have
with ebay and paypal. You will have Paypal and no matter what a seller or buyers says don't use friends/family 
unless you know them very well.

I look for FB to start to use its Marketplace for more profitable and eventually become a competitor to ebay in 
years to come. When you have over 1 Billion users you can do what you want. 

IG has been great. I have mad a lot more connections in less time there. WAY less price bash comments on IG and if you see one you can control the content on your thread without getting some admins involved.  FB marketplace is hit or miss for me. I think i have been lowballed way harder on big books on marketplace for local buys than i ever got on IG or a FB group.  I started Slabbed comics BST on FB.

But here is what I am seeing here the last few months. Several sellers are not getting paid from buyers in both IG and FB.
There is no real mechanism to make them pay either.  That and several are still trying to use Friends and Family which 
has gotten several paypal accounts suspended for it. I still like it, but both have their problems. Overall I still just use them
buy more then sell.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:37 AM, jfree580 said:

I’ve done a bunch of selling on FB Marketplace. Be prepared to deal with a ton of fake offers, people wasting your time, and rude people as well.  

When going to make a sale watch for “replica bills” (they say replica somewhere on the bill, last place I saw one it was the bottom right corner in small letters), counterfeit bills, and I personally don’t take checks.

Then the next problem is, if someone hands you a counterfeit bill or replica bill, it always turns into a confrontation. It can take a nasty turn very quickly. I’m not telling you to avoid this means because of the money you can save on eBay fees, but be careful. 

I always conceal carry when I meet with anyone, and have my lady or a buddy with me carrying too. I’ve never had to use it, or pull it on anyone from a bad deal, but there have been people wanting to fight, call me a liar when I can’t except their counterfeits, and things like that. 

From the sale of magazines and comics if you are shipping, I’d try and stick with PayPal. I’ve heard a lot of horror stories though of guys sending a raw book let’s say that was a 9.8, and they say it wasn’t as described, and send a 6.0 back. I try and video the packaging and shipping of the slab, or raw, but i don’t even know if it will help, at least it’s some sort of proof though.

I apologize for not reading through the entire thread to see if you would even meet up with anyone or just ship, but just be aware if that ever crosses your mind.

Its definitely a great place to get a bunch of peoples attention, but there are a lot of issues that can come from it too.

On a side note, I’ve also noticed people using Instagram lately to sell comics, slabs, and magazines.

I should note, most of these issues occurred from before I even started collecting comics. And some from the good old craigslist. There are two instances in the past year though that have occurred from the sale of comics while using FB Marketplace. But if two out of 20 are bad, that’s still pretty good odds.

@Bird

Dang man, your stories sound like a drug deals gone wrong...….

On 9/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, fastballspecial said:

But here is what I am seeing here the last few months. Several sellers are not getting paid from buyers in both IG and FB.
There is no real mechanism to make them pay either.  That and several are still trying to use Friends and Family which 
has gotten several paypal accounts suspended for it. I still like it, but both have their problems. Overall I still just use them
buy more then sell.

I don't understand how some groups have rules to not let sellers use Friends and Family, yet the admins will sell books and only take Friends and Family. I guess because they are "trusted" sellers? But that doesn't get around the fact they are breaking PP's rules.

And god forbid you bring that up to them.

3 hours ago, manetteska said:
On 9/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, fastballspecial said:

buy more then sell.

I don't understand how some groups have rules to not let sellers use Friends and Family, yet the admins will sell books and only take Friends and Family. I guess because they are "trusted" sellers? But that doesn't get around the fact they are breaking PP's rules.

And god forbid you bring that up to them

Facebook really is the wild west of comic book selling. Watch any live auctions and that will tell you. 

Honestly I tell myself everyone has to start somewhere, but they want you to think they are professionals
when obviously they are not. Its the modern area I tend to avoid the most. There seems to be more problems
in that area with new collectors in the market that have a much different mentality for how to sell comics.

What is nice is Paypal will eventually freeze your account for doing it. Ive seen several that all of sudden are 
complaining their account got frozen.