• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on facebook
3 3

233 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Am I crazy in thinking that bronze Batman and Detective should be able to sell at .75 to 1.00?  

Most bronze Batmans will easily sell for $1 if in nicer shape but when you factor in shipping it becomes a harder sell.  Beaters you will have a harder time at the $1 each level.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:
5 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Am I crazy in thinking that bronze Batman and Detective should be able to sell at .75 to 1.00?  

Most bronze Batmans will easily sell for $1 if in nicer shape but when you factor in shipping it becomes a harder sell.  Beaters you will have a harder time at the $1 each level.

Most of mine are fine to VF, and not moving.  Barely a bite.  Time will tell. 

Dredging up this old thread. I assume this is still a thing. I am a member of some groups, so I see posts. Mostly laughable dollar box books listed at $150 or decent books 50-100% over FMV. And ridiculous shipping. Once in a while I am shocked and see something listed at a good price. But it is just hopeless. You can be the first one to respond and agree at the asking price and someone will make a higher offer via PM and it is over. At least there is honor here on most transactions and ebay has actual rules. I've tried to sell there once, only to have someone ghost me. I have been the first to claim books about 25 times, only once did a seller go through with the sale and, in hindsight, I probably overpaid, but it was PCH, so who knows, it is hard to really price those. I'm tempted to give my teenager boxes of cheap stuff to try and unload there, but it will probably be a waste of time.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

I have been the first to claim books about 25 times, only once did a seller go through with the sale 

:eek::eek::eek:

Has this been other's experience? I was thinking of signing up for FB just for the marketplace, but if this is the reality....no @#$%^ thanks. :p

Edited by october

27 minutes ago, october said:

Has this been other's experience? I was thinking of signing up for FB just for the marketplace, but if this is the reality....no @#$%^ thanks. :p

Yeah, someone prices the books right (which happens a few times a month) and I pounce on it. The next person says via PM "I'll pay $50 more." It is over for me. Today within minutes of someone posting a lower grade Hulk 180 and a decent looking 182 for a very good price total (probably $50-100 under FMV) I pounce on it at his asking price, I don't even ask for more information because he actually had good and numerous pictures. I want to get the deal done. He PMs and just wants to make sure I see the defects so there are no issues and I say I am fine with it. Clearly around then someone offered him more than his ask and he backs out with me and says he got an offer he couldn't refuse. I'm not going to make a huge fuss. I've had many where i responded right away and said I'd take it at that price provided no interior pages missing/coupons, etc., they say there are none, and then not long after they tell me the book was taken. We have an honor system here and I don't think too many folks here PM a seller who has sold a book in a thread and try to outbid. I'm sure it happens, but I've never gotten one or did one and I think i have seen such an accusation 2-3 times in 16+ years here. 

With that said, this isn't a knock on selling there, but buying seems like potentially wasting a fair amount of time. Then again so is putting out a zillion lowball bids with expecting to win 2% of your auctions, but I built a pretty nice GA and early SA slab collection in the early 2000s doing just that,

Edited by the blob

I've gotten good deals on FB and haven't had any issues with sellers backing out but think it's largely dependent on what you're looking for. Realizing a lot of people here are more seasoned collectors the availability and pricing of gold/silver/bronze on FB isn't impressive and what is brought to market is typically just fishing trying to squeeze out top dollar, above and beyond any comparable market sales, as was previously suggested.  That being said, I've had good luck with moderns, particularly in buy/sell/trade groups specializing in a series I'm interested in pursuing like Something Killing the Children or Department of Truth. Outside of those groups I've probably only purchased 7 or 8 books total in the larger marketplace; Batman 89, Hell Arisen 3, Venom 3, Venom 7 and Venom 9 are the ones off the top of my head for a total cost of around $300, which I felt was more than fair at the time of purchase. All of those also came back 9.8 so I've also been very fortunate in the quality department. 

14 hours ago, lotofsilver said:

I've gotten good deals on FB and haven't had any issues with sellers backing out but think it's largely dependent on what you're looking for. Realizing a lot of people here are more seasoned collectors the availability and pricing of gold/silver/bronze on FB isn't impressive and what is brought to market is typically just fishing trying to squeeze out top dollar, above and beyond any comparable market sales, as was previously suggested.  That being said, I've had good luck with moderns, particularly in buy/sell/trade groups specializing in a series I'm interested in pursuing like Something Killing the Children or Department of Truth. Outside of those groups I've probably only purchased 7 or 8 books total in the larger marketplace; Batman 89, Hell Arisen 3, Venom 3, Venom 7 and Venom 9 are the ones off the top of my head for a total cost of around $300, which I felt was more than fair at the time of purchase. All of those also came back 9.8 so I've also been very fortunate in the quality department. 

I would add that the only time I ever bite is when I see something that is a likely $25-100++ flip on my end if it is as advertised (outside the PCH book I may have paid about market for), so it is not a shocker that sellers probably got offers higher than ask via PM. Honestly, I knew the price on the Hulk books was too good to be true. There may have been more than $100 of meat on the bone there. If you're paying around FMV for something there's less of a chance of this happening.

17 hours ago, october said:

We sold a couple books at a show a couple years ago only to see them sell on Facebook that night.

Facebook seller used a poor quality picture of each book, gave no grade, and sold them for double what he paid us.  

19 hours ago, october said:

I had this happen on a nice dark horse star wars lot about a month ago, I agreed on the price and even sent him 100 down on paypal, he wanted to wait for the full payment until he saw what the shipping total was as it was 2 short boxes. Within a few hours he sent my paypal money back. Said he got an offer he couldn't refuse and wouldn't even let me counter. 

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

We sold a couple books at a show a couple years ago only to see them sell on Facebook that night.

Facebook seller used a poor quality picture of each book, gave no grade, and sold them for double what he paid us.  

yes, for 90% of the listings it is even worse than your typical "I am not a professional grader, look at the pics" ebay listings, because it is usually group shots of 9-12 books, only the front, you can't see anything but huge defects, and the grade is usually "great shape" or some other nonsense. but do you know what anyone paid? did someone actually buy it in the thread?

25 minutes ago, HotKey said:

I had this happen on a nice dark horse star wars lot about a month ago, I agreed on the price and even sent him 100 down on paypal, he wanted to wait for the full payment until he saw what the shipping total was as it was 2 short boxes. Within a few hours he sent my paypal money back. Said he got an offer he couldn't refuse and wouldn't even let me counter. 

that's pretty bad

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

yes, for 90% of the listings it is even worse than your typical "I am not a professional grader, look at the pics" ebay listings, because it is usually group shots of 9-12 books, only the front, you can't see anything but huge defects, and the grade is usually "great shape" or some other nonsense. but do you know what anyone paid? did someone actually buy it in the thread?

One was a ASM 41 in vg and I believe the other was a mid grade NM 98.  He should sold them as auctions so yes both sold that night and for twice what he paid us and twice what they were worth if graded accurately..