Selling on facebook
6 6

209 posts in this topic

1,136 posts
3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

PIMP.

 

Yes, but they love instagram so the company will survive.

Right now the craze is Tik Tok so the next generation will have to sell their comics in short videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,203 posts
1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:
5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

PIMP.

 

Yes, but they love instagram so the company will survive.

Right now the craze is Tik Tok so the next generation will have to sell their comics in short videos.

Ke$ha?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,974 posts
22 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Right now the craze is Tik Tok so the next generation will have to sell their comics in short videos.

Hit or miss... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,429 posts

Just sold 6 Thor issues on FB, a rare buyer who didn't haggle. Also may have sold 2 slabs ASM300/301 but he wants to pick them up so that may or may not work out. (Trying to set up a meet at JPs Old Bridge show tomorrow for that but not confirmed.) So FB continues to be a nice alternative for me, I listed the slabs yesterday and the Thor issues this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,889 posts
On 1/26/2019 at 9:21 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

I wonder about the longevity of FB considering todays youth look at it like its the plague. They make fun of people with FB accounts so maybe once our generation dies off, so will it.

46 year olds like Facebook. We are apparently 80% of collectors along with 45 and 47 year olds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,698 posts
On 2/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, grebal said:

Based on what you've said, it sounds like a good place to sell if you're a good seller (boardie-level on grading pics and pricing), but a sub-optimal place to shop as a buyer.  Is that about right?  And that doing either requires patience and a bit of perseverance?

They need to work on the marketplace if they want to contend with eBay. I’d say they’re already beating out Craigslist though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
423 posts

This is what makes me leery about buying off FB. This is from a Star Wars action-figure group tho so maybe he will get a bite. It might not be a bad deal, they look decent  but no way are they all NM/M. 

 

CF43A996-D7A0-4D08-838C-693E847DB2B0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,136 posts

I was checking out some auctions on FB today. Bunch of raws and a few slabs. Guy was running it for 2 days and I was stoked to get some bidding in. Then I saw that the starting prices were more than they were selling for on ebay and my excitement turned to sorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,429 posts

I have not had any luck figuring out the auctions but I don't pay them much mind as I have no intention of spending an hour looking at the feed to see what books are going for. 

I am making my first purchase of comics from FB though, I have a message in to buy two issues of ToS. We'll see how that goes. Selling continues to go well although the amount of trade requests is dizzying. I was listening to a trade offer from one person about my ASM300 & 301 slabs and at one point he told me not to overvalue my books and undervalue his, then he did that to me in the same post! I have my books at gpa or slightly under so I told him the gpa value and that I was no longer interested. That feeling was compounded when he kept working for a trade and showed me his Next Men 21 8.0 valued at $100 but it was raw. :sumo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,144 posts

I've been selling locally on FB recently, mostly stuff that I don't feel like shipping (Lego sets, large GI Joe items, large lots of comics, etc.) The upside, obviously, is the lack of fees, but I also like that I meet the person, get cash, confirm that they're happy and I'm happy, and don't have to worry about someone coming back at me with a "not as described" case or negative feedback. It all seems very honest and straightforward. Not sure if I want to move to mail order sales on there yet or not, though. Lack of a reliable feedback system is a deterrent at this point. Not that eBay's feedback system is terrific, but it's something, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,144 posts

I WILL say that in the time I've been selling locally on FB, I've noticed that Craigslist seems to have mostly atrophied. I used to get a lot of tirekickers (and some sales) with the same sort of stuff on CL. But these days it's mostly crickets on CL, whereas FB at least generates responses, even if they don't always lead to sales. So, I'm not sure if that means CL buyers/sellers have migrated to FB en masse, but locally, anecdotally, it FEELS that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,136 posts
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, Bird said:

I have not had any luck figuring out the auctions but I don't pay them much mind as I have no intention of spending an hour looking at the feed to see what books are going for. 

I am making my first purchase of comics from FB though, I have a message in to buy two issues of ToS. We'll see how that goes. Selling continues to go well although the amount of trade requests is dizzying. I was listening to a trade offer from one person about my ASM300 & 301 slabs and at one point he told me not to overvalue my books and undervalue his, then he did that to me in the same post! I have my books at gpa or slightly under so I told him the gpa value and that I was no longer interested. That feeling was compounded when he kept working for a trade and showed me his Next Men 21 8.0 valued at $100 but it was raw. :sumo:

That's pretty funny, don't over value your books and don't under value mine. xD  What a way to start out a possible transaction. FB is at least very entertaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,429 posts
4 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

That's pretty funny, don't over value your books and don't under value mine. xD  What a way to start out a possible transaction. FB is at least very entertaining.

Yes, turned me right off. He was also telling me that ASM 301 CGC 9.4 is a $50 book...gpa last sale is $75 and 12 month avg is $95 for 58 sales. And him with his $100 Next Men 21 raw 8.0!

It is entertaining now but it was annoying before I got settled in and understood the social norms there.

Edited by Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,136 posts

Lot of people trying to find that 1 uneducated seller and make a score. I had a few trade offers, not as bad as yours mind you, but they surely favored the other guy who had low grade krap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,429 posts

I have made two trades so far and they worked out fairly well I guess. I would have a better opinion of one if the Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2 9.4 slab would sell in my sales thread I started today! :sumo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,136 posts
8 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have made two trades so far and they worked out fairly well I guess. I would have a better opinion of one if the Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2 9.4 slab would sell in my sales thread I started today! :sumo:

Don't be afraid to send me a PM of said sales thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,429 posts
2 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Don't be afraid to send me a PM of said sales thread.

Done!

(here it is for all to see as well.)

and its' brother

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,429 posts

I was holding some comics for a guy who was going to pay Friday. Messaged me today that he cannot buy them as he and the wife and splitting up and he is now selling his collection off! I believe him, sad story it seems but he'll be better off in the end I guess.

I continue to have tons of tire-kickers but sales are still fairly steady, so any sales count as a win for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,199 posts
1 hour ago, Bird said:

I was holding some comics for a guy who was going to pay Friday. Messaged me today that he cannot buy them as he and the wife and splitting up and he is now selling his collection off! I believe him, sad story it seems but he'll be better off in the end I guess.

I continue to have tons of tire-kickers but sales are still fairly steady, so any sales count as a win for me.

lol his name starts with a T right? Got the same message today. I don't believe any messages like that honestly. The #1 excuse I get for flakes is because their wife won't "let them". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,429 posts
23 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

lol his name starts with a T right? Got the same message today. I don't believe any messages like that honestly. The #1 excuse I get for flakes is because their wife won't "let them". 

hm

 

(shrug)

 

:sumo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6