• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose inner well in new cases?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I couldn't find a recent thread on this, so sorry if it's a duplicate. The last 4 submissions I got back in the new cases look great, with no newton ring effect. However, I noticed all of them (from different submission times), have loose inner wells. It literally rattles inside the casing. The comic itself is secure inside the well, but the well moves within the case. Some move more than others. When I compare to the older cases, the comics & well don't move at all. Is this a mechanical error/defect? or is this by design and we are to accept this? Thanks!

Edited by MagicMan_2017

46 minutes ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

I couldn't find a recent thread on this, so sorry if it's a duplicate. The last 4 submissions I got back in the new cases look great, with no newton ring effect. However, I noticed all of them (from different submission times), have loose inner wells. It literally rattles inside the casing. The comic itself is secure inside the well, but the well moves within the case. Some move more than others. When I compare to the older cases, the comics & well don't move at all. Is this a mechanical error/defect? or is this by design and we are to accept this? Thanks!

The Newton Ring Effect is caused by the snugness of the inner well against the slab, the effect of the two surfaces touching. It may be to 'solve' this problem, CGC is leaving some wiggle room for the inner wells inside the slab. Much like the damage that can happen to a comic too loose in the inner well, I think this is a precarious situation, susceptible to damage. It sounds like a case of pick your poison. At least the Newton Rings did not harm the books inside. This may.

4 hours ago, dfx1 said:

More detail on this would be cool. How does it move within the case? All around? Side to side, up to down, forward to back? 

Yes, I would say my worst case has almost a millimeter give on all sides. So as soon as you pick up the case, the inner well will slide around freely inside the case. The others ones aren't as bad, but it also slides on all sides ... not snug like the previous versions. The fact I've received multiple loose wells from multiple submissions leads me to believe it's by design ... but can't really say. Seems like many defects slip by QC.

Hello, I recently received my first book like this as well.  The book in question was purchased off of eBay (very high 100% positive feedback Seller) but I was still concerned.  Glad I found this thread to explain it.  I have also sent in many of my own books and none of them have this loose inner well.  I personally don't like the inner well sliding around... makes it feel cheap.

Also appreciate the explanation of Newton Rings, I have a few of those as well and this is the first time I saw it explained... makes sense.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:31 PM, Iconic1s said:

Hello, I recently received my first book like this as well.  The book in question was purchased off of eBay (very high 100% positive feedback Seller) but I was still concerned.  Glad I found this thread to explain it.  I have also sent in many of my own books and none of them have this loose inner well.  I personally don't like the inner well sliding around... makes it feel cheap.

Also appreciate the explanation of Newton Rings, I have a few of those as well and this is the first time I saw it explained... makes sense.

Yeah, I just received some comics back yesterday. I live in Canada so the shipping is handled quite a bit before it reaches me. All 3 comics were loose and my 9.6 looked like the inside was pulling out of the cover. Sadly the book looked a lot better in the holder when it was an 8.0 before pressing. Now it definitely looks cheap, and possibly damaged. It doesn't look like much of a 9.6 Is there anything to be done about the situation? Or do we just live with the sad result that we paid good money for?

Concerned.

Edited by 0Marc0

5 minutes ago, 0Marc0 said:

Yeah, I just received some comics back yesterday. I live in Canada so the shipping is handled quite a bit before it reaches me. All 3 comics were loose and my 9.6 looked like the inside was pulling out of the cover. Sadly the book looked a lot better in the holder when it was an 8.0 before pressing. Now it definitely looks cheap, and possibly damaged. It doesn't look like much of a 9.6 Is there anything to be done about the situation? Or do we just live with the sad result that we paid good money for?

Concerned.

Call or email CGC.

Has anybody seen this shifting of the inner well recently? I just got 10 books back from CGC and every one has some movement. No Newton Rings for once, but the inner well is certainly loose. My only other submission this year was in Jan and no movement of the inner well, but Newton Rings on all.  

On 5/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, Galan of Taa said:

Has anybody seen this shifting of the inner well recently? I just got 10 books back from CGC and every one has some movement. No Newton Rings for once, but the inner well is certainly loose. My only other submission this year was in Jan and no movement of the inner well, but Newton Rings on all.  

Yes, I got another 10+ back myself this week and half of them are loose inside the case. I could throw a stink about it and send it back for reholder, but I just don't have the energy to go through the hassle ... so will just live with it. The book seems to be snug in the mylar itself, just the well is a bit jiggly inside the case. Shame.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:16 AM, MagicMan_2017 said:

Yes, I got another 10+ back myself this week and half of them are loose inside the case. I could throw a stink about it and send it back for reholder, but I just don't have the energy to go through the hassle ... so will just live with it. The book seems to be snug in the mylar itself, just the well is a bit jiggly inside the case. Shame.

I have noticed this on over half of the ones I get back to.

I sent some back for re-holder for scuffs due to shipping "mechanical errors" on the case and they came back again with loose inner wells and scuffs.

Yep, i've noticed this on the older cases AND some of my recent submissions.  I think too many of us are tired of dealing with contacting CGC through email or phone and then shipping the books back out again for a recasing.  Dealing with emailing/calling, shipping back and then waiting again is a hassle. That's the reason why I have so many books on my wall and in my PC that still have Newton Rings and haven't done anything about it.  The thread about Newton Rings was pretty hot here on this forum and then seemed to kinda disappear as some were getting a majority of their shipments back without them.  I still have a good portion that come back with some amount of newton rings even if it isnt as bad as before.  We should be doing the right thing to make sure that CGC is putting out the product they are supposed to but many of us are just shrugging it off so things just move along as is.  I'm guilty as anyone else as I continue to send books to CGC and don't bother contacting them when faults are found from Newton Rings to a loose inner case or a corner fold.  I've had all of these happen and even if I'd contacted CGC for a resolution, more times then not, I don't even send the book back to them.  I guess we all need to be a little more vigilant when we receive books back and push CGC to put out the best product possible as paying customers.

I did send CGC a video of my shifting inner wells and they said send them back. I thought I could live with the movement, but it just bothered me more than Newton Rings. I hate sending them back and forth. Your just asking for them to get messed up in shipment. 

18 hours ago, Galan of Taa said:

I did send CGC a video of my shifting inner wells and they said send them back. I thought I could live with the movement, but it just bothered me more than Newton Rings. I hate sending them back and forth. Your just asking for them to get messed up in shipment. 

I agree. I sent some back for scuffs but they came back scuffed again. I just received a 19 book shipment yesterday and most of the inner wells were loose.

I don't plan on sending them back because I don't have a high degree of confidence they will come back without defects.

19 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I don't plan on sending them back because I don't have a high degree of confidence they will come back without defects.

This is exactly what I was alluding to before and quite honestly, I don't blame you.  It would be nice if a CGC rep would see threads like this and comment on what they are planning to do about the issue or what they are proactively working on.

@Brittany M.

I would like to state for the record that I am grateful to have some sort of protection for my comics from the CGC slabs. I bought most of them when I was a kid and I am active duty military so I move every 2 years.

Through 15 years of service I had most of my books in just a bag and board in a box and I was lucky they didn't get damaged by extreme heat and cold, packing/unpacking and general bumping around through five cross county moves.

I recently sent them all in to be slabbed and I feel better about having them professionally graded and preserved.

From what I have read on the boards it is generally unrealistic to get them back from CGC without some loose inner wells, scuffs/smears, spots or general dings on the slab and even when they get sent back for re-holdering they probably wont all come back unscathed.

From now on I have decided that I will only kick them back if the slabs are cracked and I am going to try to live with loose inner wells, scuffs, smears and spots.

Perhaps when they design a new 4th generation case it will make everyone happy by being cheaper, tight wells, scuff, smear, spot and newton ring free.

However a slab like that may be a moonshot.:wishluck:

On 12/31/2018 at 3:00 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

The Newton Ring Effect is caused by the snugness of the inner well against the slab, the effect of the two surfaces touching. It may be to 'solve' this problem, CGC is leaving some wiggle room for the inner wells inside the slab. Much like the damage that can happen to a comic too loose in the inner well, I think this is a precarious situation, susceptible to damage. It sounds like a case of pick your poison. At least the Newton Rings did not harm the books inside. This may.

Agreed I was fine with the Newton Rings as they were not a big deal, but the shifting/unsecure inner well is an issue as it could lead to damaged books. CGC should just stick with the snug fit and tell the people who complain about the Newton Rings to pound sand. 

Was just going to post this, got a book graded in early 2020 where the inner well is loose on all sides. Sliding around about a millimeter like OP said. I don't know how much it "bothers" me as it'll just lay upright in a box unless i move again, but could it cause damage? Could it have come loose in the first place from a bumpy shipping transit? Not sure whether to let it go if it'll affect the comic at all, or not.

On ‎2020‎/‎06‎/‎19 at 2:05 PM, kimik said:

Agreed I was fine with the Newton Rings as they were not a big deal, but the shifting/unsecure inner well is an issue as it could lead to damaged books. CGC should just stick with the snug fit and tell the people who complain about the Newton Rings to pound sand. 

I HATE the newton ring effect, while it is not damaging the books it looks awful. I also do not want the loose inner well, so far I have only seen that on one book I got back in the last 3 months.

I would rather have a product that protects exceptionally well and looks fantastic over pounding sand. :whee:

The cases from the "other guys" don't have the newton rings or the loose inner wells.

Edited by Artboy99

On 6/19/2020 at 9:08 PM, brentdevil said:

Was just going to post this, got a book graded in early 2020 where the inner well is loose on all sides. Sliding around about a millimeter like OP said. I don't know how much it "bothers" me as it'll just lay upright in a box unless i move again, but could it cause damage? Could it have come loose in the first place from a bumpy shipping transit? Not sure whether to let it go if it'll affect the comic at all, or not.

Upon further inspection the inner well is completely loose and sliding up/down left/right, but only about in that millimeter of space. In fact, I'm not sure if this happened during shipping, but a small piece broke off of the very top of the inner well and is lodged on the side. It's not moving and is not really in the way enough to bother me though. Is this a major problem that needs resubmission, or more to the point is the well loose enough that this is going to cause damage over the long run? It's snug in the well/sleeve so I can't really see it personally...   

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg