Loose inner well in new cases?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

43 posts

I couldn't find a recent thread on this, so sorry if it's a duplicate. The last 4 submissions I got back in the new cases look great, with no newton ring effect. However, I noticed all of them (from different submission times), have loose inner wells. It literally rattles inside the casing. The comic itself is secure inside the well, but the well moves within the case. Some move more than others. When I compare to the older cases, the comics & well don't move at all. Is this a mechanical error/defect? or is this by design and we are to accept this? Thanks!

Edited by MagicMan_2017

11,827 posts
46 minutes ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

I couldn't find a recent thread on this, so sorry if it's a duplicate. The last 4 submissions I got back in the new cases look great, with no newton ring effect. However, I noticed all of them (from different submission times), have loose inner wells. It literally rattles inside the casing. The comic itself is secure inside the well, but the well moves within the case. Some move more than others. When I compare to the older cases, the comics & well don't move at all. Is this a mechanical error/defect? or is this by design and we are to accept this? Thanks!

The Newton Ring Effect is caused by the snugness of the inner well against the slab, the effect of the two surfaces touching. It may be to 'solve' this problem, CGC is leaving some wiggle room for the inner wells inside the slab. Much like the damage that can happen to a comic too loose in the inner well, I think this is a precarious situation, susceptible to damage. It sounds like a case of pick your poison. At least the Newton Rings did not harm the books inside. This may.

579 posts

I had a mechanical defect come back this way recently. Kinda shocked to be honest. I was told via email that it's perfectly normal but I was more than welcome to resubmit for a reholder. 

138 posts

More detail on this would be cool. How does it move within the case? All around? Side to side, up to down, forward to back? 

43 posts
4 hours ago, dfx1 said:

More detail on this would be cool. How does it move within the case? All around? Side to side, up to down, forward to back? 

Yes, I would say my worst case has almost a millimeter give on all sides. So as soon as you pick up the case, the inner well will slide around freely inside the case. The others ones aren't as bad, but it also slides on all sides ... not snug like the previous versions. The fact I've received multiple loose wells from multiple submissions leads me to believe it's by design ... but can't really say. Seems like many defects slip by QC.

197 posts

Hello, I recently received my first book like this as well.  The book in question was purchased off of eBay (very high 100% positive feedback Seller) but I was still concerned.  Glad I found this thread to explain it.  I have also sent in many of my own books and none of them have this loose inner well.  I personally don't like the inner well sliding around... makes it feel cheap.

Also appreciate the explanation of Newton Rings, I have a few of those as well and this is the first time I saw it explained... makes sense.

8 posts
On 2/25/2019 at 9:31 PM, Iconic1s said:

Hello, I recently received my first book like this as well.  The book in question was purchased off of eBay (very high 100% positive feedback Seller) but I was still concerned.  Glad I found this thread to explain it.  I have also sent in many of my own books and none of them have this loose inner well.  I personally don't like the inner well sliding around... makes it feel cheap.

Also appreciate the explanation of Newton Rings, I have a few of those as well and this is the first time I saw it explained... makes sense.

Yeah, I just received some comics back yesterday. I live in Canada so the shipping is handled quite a bit before it reaches me. All 3 comics were loose and my 9.6 looked like the inside was pulling out of the cover. Sadly the book looked a lot better in the holder when it was an 8.0 before pressing. Now it definitely looks cheap, and possibly damaged. It doesn't look like much of a 9.6 Is there anything to be done about the situation? Or do we just live with the sad result that we paid good money for?

Concerned.

Edited by 0Marc0

10,361 posts
5 minutes ago, 0Marc0 said:

Yeah, I just received some comics back yesterday. I live in Canada so the shipping is handled quite a bit before it reaches me. All 3 comics were loose and my 9.6 looked like the inside was pulling out of the cover. Sadly the book looked a lot better in the holder when it was an 8.0 before pressing. Now it definitely looks cheap, and possibly damaged. It doesn't look like much of a 9.6 Is there anything to be done about the situation? Or do we just live with the sad result that we paid good money for?

Concerned.

Call or email CGC.